Old 13-04-2004, 11:03 PM
Mark Nolan

Default Crittall Hope greenhouse base

I have acquired a large greenhouse with a heavy galvanised steel
frame, made by Crittall Hope in Braintree, Essex around 1965. I've
found out a lot about Crittall (and Hope) on the net. I've also read
the recommendations for greenhouse bases, ie blocks, brick, treated
timber etc. I'm erecting it on a concrete base and the part of the
frame which rests on the ground has two lips, the outer one deeper
than the innner. Anyone seen anything like this before? I would like
to know what Crittall themselves recommended for the greenhouse to sit
on.

Rgds Mark
Old 13-04-2004, 11:32 PM
Cumberpach

"Mark Nolan" wrote in message
om...
I have acquired a large greenhouse with a heavy galvanised steel frame,

made by Crittall Hope in Braintree, Essex around 1965. I've found out a lot
about Crittall (and Hope) on the net. I've also read the recommendations for
greenhouse bases, ie blocks, brick, treated timber etc. I'm erecting it on
a concrete base and the part of the frame which rests on the ground has two
lips, the outer one deeper than the innner. Anyone seen anything like this

before? I would like to know what Crittall themselves recommended for the
greenhouse to sit on.

When you buy greenhouses, the purchase of a base is optional. The 2 lips
probably located on the (original) base. Although galvanised, I suspect that
over 40 yrs, the original base has perished.

If Crittall Hope is still trading - I would give them a call.

Pete

Old 14-04-2004, 12:06 AM
David Hill

".......... the frame which rests on the ground has two lips, the outer one
deeper than the inner ............"

I should think this is designed to sit on the edge of a brick base so that
there is no way it can be moved by wind/gales.
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 14-04-2004, 12:06 AM
Paul King

"Mark Nolan" wrote in message
om...
I have acquired a large greenhouse with a heavy galvanised steel
frame, made by Crittall Hope in Braintree, Essex around 1965. I've
found out a lot about Crittall (and Hope) on the net. I've also read
the recommendations for greenhouse bases, ie blocks, brick, treated
timber etc. I'm erecting it on a concrete base and the part of the
frame which rests on the ground has two lips, the outer one deeper
than the innner. Anyone seen anything like this before? I would like
to know what Crittall themselves recommended for the greenhouse to sit
on.

I think that its designed to fit over a course of bricks. Does an Imperial
size brick fit between the lips?

Old 14-04-2004, 07:32 AM
Sue da Nimm

"Mark Nolan" wrote in message
om...
I'm erecting it on a concrete base and the part of the
frame which rests on the ground has two lips, the outer one deeper
than the innner. Anyone seen anything like this before? I would like
to know what Crittall themselves recommended for the greenhouse to sit
on.

Our Halls greenhouse was like this (also bought second-hand.) We screwed a
treated timber frame to the base and then put the greenhouse onto this such
that the outer lip overhung. (Prevents rain, wind etc getting under the
frame.) Use mastic between frame and base and greenhouse and frame. Plug and
screw the timber frame to the base and then screw the greenhouse to the
frame.

Old 14-04-2004, 11:32 AM
Mark Nolan

"Paul King" wrote in message ws.com...
"Mark Nolan" wrote in message
om...
I have acquired a large greenhouse with a heavy galvanised steel
frame, made by Crittall Hope in Braintree, Essex around 1965. I've
found out a lot about Crittall (and Hope) on the net. I've also read
the recommendations for greenhouse bases, ie blocks, brick, treated
timber etc. I'm erecting it on a concrete base and the part of the
frame which rests on the ground has two lips, the outer one deeper
than the innner. Anyone seen anything like this before? I would like
to know what Crittall themselves recommended for the greenhouse to sit
on.

I think that its designed to fit over a course of bricks. Does an Imperial
size brick fit between the lips?

I should have said the gap is only about 3/4 of an inch. Wood and
mastic sounds good, thanks for all the advice.

cheers, Mark