Old 18-04-2004, 05:29 AM
Kay Easton

Default fly eating plants

In article , Sacha
writes
shannie17/4/04 12:47

Thanks Kay, Im only in my second year with a greenhouse and as yet have not
come across those problems, I don't like chemicals, so, if these problems
should arise what would you suggest? Mind you, I have to dismantle and
reassemble due to a house move during the summer, so it'll get a good
cleaning then...thats not to say I wont have the irritation before then,
your advise, as always would be welcome

Shannie, we use biological control in our green houses and it works
brilliantly. It's not cheap to start with but develops its own momentum.
It's important *never* to use sprays once you start using bio control,
though. Various companies advertise in The Garden and in other magazines,
I believe.

Google on "red spider" biological. I use greengardener.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 18-04-2004, 05:30 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Sacha
writes

Kay, we bought two Saracenias yesterday at the RHS road show from The Little
Shop of Horrors chap. I have never been especially interested in
carnivorous plants before and had no idea how beautiful they can be. We're
going to buy a few from him wholesale and will be going up to visit him
soon. He suggests keeping them in a just frost free greenhouse in the
winter because, he says, being too warm encourages them too grow *too* much,
thus exhausting themselves! Has that been your experience of them?

I've only grown one Saracenia, many years ago, and then dried it out
during some domestic crisis ;-)
But until then it was coping very happily in our greenhouse, which in
winter fluctuated between 32 and 40 deg F. Flowered too :-) Very showy
and long lasting.

Butterworts are good too - I don't know how saleable they are, as
they're not quite so dramatically carnivorous - they have sticky fly-
paper leaves. But purple flowers like big violets, and a very long
flowering season - mine have been in continuous flower for the last 18
months, a welcome sight in the winter. I also have a smaller one, tiny
neat rosettes about 1.5 inches across, with correspondingly smaller
flowers, which is more intermittent in its flowering, with pinkier mauve
flowers.

The sundews look very attractive if you keep them wet enough and in
sunlight, as the have little drops of sugary water on the ends of all
their hairs.

I don't know how much you remember of this place but there's a small,
square, conservatory type greenhouse by the fishpond and we intend to make a
display of them in there - when we accumulate some more!

I can remember an older style square greenhouse up at the house end of
the garden (as opposed to the downhill end past the lawn) which was
completely stuffed! ;-) Lovely feeling of tropical luxuriance. (David
Poole told me it was his idea of perfection in a greenhouse) - is that
the one you mean? That'd be nice! Make sure they have a clear view of
the sky!

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 18-04-2004, 05:31 AM
Sacha

Kay Easton17/4/04 11:48

[...]

That's the one. It's adjacent to the path that leads to the 'big double'
and on to the other houses. And *what* a reference to have from DP!

That'd be nice! Make sure they have a clear view of
the sky!

Ah. Will do. The display we saw yesterday was lovely - lots of moss, bits
of bark and logs etc. I'm cogitating...... ;-)
We didn't get any sundews but I'd like to and would like to put them in all
the houses as part of the bio control but Ray points out that they might
*catch* the bio controls. ;-))

--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Old 18-04-2004, 05:35 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Sacha
writes

We didn't get any sundews but I'd like to and would like to put them in all
the houses as part of the bio control but Ray points out that they might
*catch* the bio controls. ;-))

They catch flying things (1). I don't think they'd get the red spider
controls, not unless you had a 'bridge' across the bog. Ad probably not
even then. They're more use at getting the occasional housefly than at
anything which might go for your plants. And they're *useless* against
slugs ;-)

(1) They don't seem to catch whitefly - it's butterworts that are good
at whitefly.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 18-04-2004, 05:39 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Sacha
writes
Kay Easton17/4/04 1:29
@scarbo ro.demon.co.uk

In article , Sacha
writes

We didn't get any sundews but I'd like to and would like to put them in all
the houses as part of the bio control but Ray points out that they might
*catch* the bio controls. ;-))

They catch flying things (1). I don't think they'd get the red spider
controls, not unless you had a 'bridge' across the bog. Ad probably not
even then. They're more use at getting the occasional housefly than at
anything which might go for your plants. And they're *useless* against
slugs ;-)

Well, just so long as they don't eat the toads. ;-)

(1) They don't seem to catch whitefly - it's butterworts that are good
at whitefly.

What about the Encarsia?

I've never used it, but I expect the sundews would get that, and, of
course, so would the sarracenia.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 18-04-2004, 05:40 AM
shannie

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
(1) They don't seem to catch whitefly - it's butterworts that are good
at whitefly.

Have a look at this link, part of the site alastair recommended, scroll
down to whitefly, suppose it could work.

Shannie

Old 18-04-2004, 05:40 AM
shannie

"shannie" wrote in message

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
(1) They don't seem to catch whitefly - it's butterworts that are

good
at whitefly.

Have a look at this link, part of the site alastair recommended, scroll
down to whitefly, suppose it could work.

Shannie

Forgot the link...sorry

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq3670.html

Old 18-04-2004, 05:44 AM
Kay Easton

In article , shannie
writes

"shannie" wrote in message

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
(1) They don't seem to catch whitefly - it's butterworts that are

good
at whitefly.

Have a look at this link, part of the site alastair recommended, scroll
down to whitefly, suppose it could work.

Shannie

Forgot the link...sorry

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq3670.html

Interesting! I was just going by the corpses - black and brown on
sundew, white on butterwort. But I've never had whitefly on my
insectivores. I guess just about anything will stick to a sundew if you
wave it around - certainly vermiculite does :-(

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 19-04-2004, 02:10 PM
D Russell

"Sacha" wrote in message
o.uk...
Kay Easton17/4/04 12:22
snip

I also have cacti and insectivores - so if your greenhouse is warm
enough in winter for your cacti, it should be fine for the insectivores.

But be careful how you control mealy bug and red spider - the
insectivores won't thank you for spraying insecticides around and
killing off their food!

[...]

I suspect this is exaclty what's been happening to my pitcher, it's spent
all winter in a heated greenhouse, and has started growing loads of new,
flat leaves, not the pitchers that you'd expect. It is potted in a
peat/perlite mixture, but I think it's got a few too many nutrients from
somewhere. Still I reckon I'll harden it off again and plonk it outside for
now, hopefully it'll start to re-grow the pitchers soon enough.
Duncan

Old 19-04-2004, 02:10 PM
D Russell

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Sacha
writes

We didn't get any sundews but I'd like to and would like to put them in

all
the houses as part of the bio control but Ray points out that they might
*catch* the bio controls. ;-))

They catch flying things (1). I don't think they'd get the red spider
controls, not unless you had a 'bridge' across the bog. Ad probably not
even then. They're more use at getting the occasional housefly than at
anything which might go for your plants. And they're *useless* against
slugs ;-)

(1) They don't seem to catch whitefly - it's butterworts that are good
at whitefly.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

The pitchers are very effective at catching hover flies, which is a shame,
since they are another garden friend. I did spend some time last year
rescuing one or two, sad I know.
Duncan