Old 18-04-2004, 06:05 PM
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt

Default Do plants have brain?

Hi,

It may seem a silly question but I have heard that the plants have
"lesser brain", the seat of instincts.

Is it true?

Rajinder

Old 18-04-2004, 08:05 PM
Robert

Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt wrote:
: Hi,
:
: It may seem a silly question but I have heard that the plants have
: "lesser brain", the seat of instincts.
:
: Is it true?
:
: Rajinder

Well they're more intelligent than President Bush but I don' think there's a
lot in it

Old 18-04-2004, 11:05 PM
Andy Hunt

Hi,

It may seem a silly question but I have heard that the plants have
"lesser brain", the seat of instincts.

Is it true?

Well they are intelligent enough to cover themselves with solar panels,
anyway . . .

Andy

Old 18-04-2004, 11:07 PM
Bob Hobden

Rajinder wrote in message
It may seem a silly question but I have heard that the plants have
"lesser brain", the seat of instincts.

Is it true?

Well I know they react to damage, compete with others, and seem to have a
will to live their time, so there might be something controlling these
processes even if just at the cell level.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

Old 19-04-2004, 12:05 AM
Bob Hobden

"Robert" wrote in message after Rajinder...
:
: It may seem a silly question but I have heard that the plants have
: "lesser brain", the seat of instincts.
:
: Is it true?
:

Well they're more intelligent than President Bush but I don' think there's

lot in it

Hmmm, after 9/11 everyone in the world expected another similar terrorist
atrocity in the US within months, it hasn't happened yet. Why? Because a lot
of the terrorist types are now engaged with well trained and well armed
soldiers in Iraq and a lot of the "terrorists" are being killed as opposed
to US civilians.
So is Bush an idiot or a damn good chess player?

Old 19-04-2004, 12:08 AM
Cereus-validus

Somebody has been pulling your leg.

The answer is NO.

Plants don't even have rudimentary nervous systems yet alone the need for a
brain to control one.

Old 19-04-2004, 12:08 AM
Cereus-validus

Unfortunately Dubaya does have a rudimentary nervous system and a brain,
albeit a poorly developed one.

The problem is when he tries to chew gum and make important decisions at the
same time he gets confused.

Old 19-04-2004, 12:08 AM
Andy Hunt

"Robert" wrote in message after Rajinder...
:
: It may seem a silly question but I have heard that the plants have
: "lesser brain", the seat of instincts.
:
: Is it true?
:

Well they're more intelligent than President Bush but I don' think

there's
lot in it

Hmmm, after 9/11 everyone in the world expected another similar terrorist
atrocity in the US within months, it hasn't happened yet. Why? Because a

lot
of the terrorist types are now engaged with well trained and well armed
soldiers in Iraq and a lot of the "terrorists" are being killed as opposed
to US civilians.
So is Bush an idiot or a damn good chess player?

He is if he has you convinced that he didn't do "9/11" himself . . .

http://www.911sharethetruth.com/

Andy

Old 19-04-2004, 12:09 AM
Brian

Plants can, and do, respond to stimuli. However this is only an indication
that they are alive and in no way suggests the presence of a brain in the
way that we understand.
Only intentionally silly questions are deemed silly.
Best Wishes Brian

Old 19-04-2004, 03:03 AM
Cereus-validus

Response to stimuli does not require a nervous system or a brain. Single
celled organisms respond to stimuli.

Even inorganic substances can respond to stimuli.
Ice melts when you apply heat!!
As if that's not enough, liquid water will even boil when enough heat is
applied!!

Old 19-04-2004, 08:07 AM
Robert

"Andy Hunt" wrote in message
:
:
: "Robert" wrote in message after Rajinder...
: :
[...]

And the world is a far more dangerous place now, after the bumbling b's have
invaded
:

Old 19-04-2004, 09:02 AM
Kevin Groves

I dont care, I will still talk to my plants.
Kev,
Old 19-04-2004, 12:04 PM
Cereus-validus

Well, isn't that special?

When you think they are talking back is when you really know you have a
problem!!!

Old 19-04-2004, 01:07 PM
Andy Hunt

So how do plants know which way is 'up', then, when they are germinating in
the dark . . . ? Does this not imply some sort of perceptive and
decision-making capability, albeit on a fairly mundane level?

Andy

. ..

Old 19-04-2004, 01:07 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article yrOgc.45$oI2.0@newsfe1-win,
"Andy Hunt" writes:
| So how do plants know which way is 'up', then, when they are germinating in
| the dark . . . ? Does this not imply some sort of perceptive and
| decision-making capability, albeit on a fairly mundane level?

No. It slightly goes against the grain to recommend anything by
Richard Dawkins (he is widely regarded as a pain in the a*** by
other scientists), but his books do explain how this for of thing
develops without consciousness.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Why don't plants have a brain? Peter Jason Plant Science 1 30-05-2005 09:21 AM
Help: Newbie plumbing brain cramp. Rob Ponds 0 13-07-2004 04:09 PM
Brain Problem, PS Iris Cohen Plant Science 0 16-06-2004 07:07 PM
flaw in Brain Iris Cohen Plant Science 0 16-06-2004 02:04 PM
Hair Brain Idea. keith nuttle Gardening 7 09-09-2003 01:06 AM