Old 01-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Delurk with chocolates and a question

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

They may be amphibious in the colloquial sense (like DUKWs) but they are
not a member of the Amphibia, any more than a whale is a fish.

You're nicking all my best lines.

Must keep up at the back innit.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 01-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough.. contains
these words:

Only other thing I can think of is a very young slow worm, or possibly
a baby grass snake. Are they that tiny? Dunno. Snakes can (and do) swim
astonishingly well, but I don't know if slow worms can.

Slow worms can swim, but are creatures of dry areas mainly.

Old 01-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Gwenhyffar Milgi

On Sat, 1 May 2004 12:52:11 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from Janet Baraclough.. contains
these words:

Only other thing I can think of is a very young slow worm, or possibly
a baby grass snake. Are they that tiny? Dunno. Snakes can (and do) swim
astonishingly well, but I don't know if slow worms can.

Slow worms can swim, but are creatures of dry areas mainly.

That's not what the Beeb says:

Habitat
Slow worms prefer humid habitats, including grassy meadows, gardens,
farmland, woodland margins and open fields. They can also be found in
rural gardens and commonly fall prey to domestic cats

"My candle burns at both ends; it will not last the night
but ah my foes and oh my friends -- it gives a lovely light"
Old 01-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Gwenhyffar Milgi

On Sat, 1 May 2004 12:41:34 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

BBC website photos of slow worms seem to meet the OP's description of
her snakish object.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfact...iles/281.shtml

The wrong habitat though.

Woodland marginal, that's what it is. Although a very rocky woodland
marginal.

Old 01-05-2004, 05:09 PM
martin

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:41:55 +0000 (UTC), Gwenhyffar Milgi
wrote:

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:22:29 +0200, martin wrote:

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 22:24:26 +0000 (UTC), Gwenhyffar Milgi
wrote:

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 17:40:19 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from Gwenhyffar Milgi contains these words:

The tadpoles are numerous, it seems every frog/toad/newt in the
neighbourhood deposits its spawn in it (yes, we have newts, and one of
those legless thingies).

We find our legless thingies in the local towns, mainly between eleven
pm and midnight.

ggg we get a few of those here as well. What I mean is a legless
amphibian though. I don't know what they're called!

****ed as a newt?

Hang on, if the newts are legless, what are the ones with legs called
then?

sober?

(sorry guys, English is not my first language, although I live in
Wales, I'm Dutch).

Although I live in the Netherlands I'm a Brit. :-)
Old 01-05-2004, 06:05 PM
martin

On Sat, 1 May 2004 12:28:52 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

Agreed, though perhaps the poster means DUCKWs, which have wheels, not legs?

DUKWs? I found the origin of the name on the web.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:09 PM
Sacha

martin1/5/04 5:40
wrote:

Agreed, though perhaps the poster means DUCKWs, which have wheels, not legs?

DUKWs? I found the origin of the name on the web.

DUKW is right. From a website:
http://wwwa.search.eb.com/normandy/articles/DUKW.html

The DUKW (an acronym based on D-model year 1942, U-amphibian, K-all wheel
drive, W-dual rear axles), called "duck," was shaped like a boat. It had a
hollow airtight body for buoyancy and used a single propeller for forward
momentum. It was designed according to Army criteria and was based on the
Army's 2.5-ton truck.

A couple still run in Jersey between the 'main island' and Elizabeth Castle
which is cut off at high tide.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Old 01-05-2004, 07:09 PM
martin

martin1/5/04 5:40
wrote:

Agreed, though perhaps the poster means DUCKWs, which have wheels, not legs?

DUKWs? I found the origin of the name on the web.

DUKW is right. From a website:
http://wwwa.search.eb.com/normandy/articles/DUKW.html

The DUKW (an acronym based on D-model year 1942, U-amphibian, K-all wheel
drive, W-dual rear axles), called "duck," was shaped like a boat. It had a
hollow airtight body for buoyancy and used a single propeller for forward
momentum. It was designed according to Army criteria and was based on the
Army's 2.5-ton truck.

A couple still run in Jersey between the 'main island' and Elizabeth Castle
which is cut off at high tide.

For decades! :-)

There's a European Amphibious Club which take them all over Europe to
rallies. They were in NL two years ago and on the Thames last summer.
They are really very impressive close up. We met them motoring down a
canal towards us in Workum.

Pictures of them on the Thames at
http://www.omfc.co.uk/Amphib%202003.htm
Old 02-05-2004, 02:16 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Gwenhyffar Milgi contains these words:

Slow worms can swim, but are creatures of dry areas mainly.

That's not what the Beeb says:

Habitat
Slow worms prefer humid habitats, including grassy meadows, gardens,
farmland, woodland margins and open fields. They can also be found in
rural gardens and commonly fall prey to domestic cats

Believe me, as a slow-worm afficianado since about 1949, they like warm,
dry conditions, basking in the sun, and are often to be found in stony
ground or on grass banks. They retreat under stones and logs for shelter
or as a refuge, probably also to feast on the beasties which also
retreat under stones and logs.

I have *NEVER* found slow worms in really moist conditions. The moistest
being beneath the stones and rocks they favour.

Now frogs and newts out of the breeding season - you'll find them in the
conditions described.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Delurk, background, first questions a425couple Ponds (moderated) 24 22-08-2008 04:02 PM
Delurk JW United Kingdom 17 27-11-2005 05:54 PM
delurk (hello! :)) and questions me Gardening 3 22-06-2005 10:13 PM
Delurk with chocolates and a question - fish and tads David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 2 23-04-2004 02:08 PM
Delurk/Southern California pond questions Josh Mills Ponds 0 09-03-2004 04:13 AM