Old 04-05-2004, 05:14 PM
VivienB

Default Another Pieris question

We have to keep lime-hating plants in containers here. We have a
Pieris which has had a spell of minimal attention, which is now
looking very leggy. It is about 3 to 4 feet high and wide and in a
large plastic pot. Is it a practical proposition to rejuvenate it by
pruning and feeding, or is it unlikely to respond?

There is already much more that needs doing in this garden to try to
get/keep order than I can comfortably cope with, so if it is not a
good bet, I shall clear it away and get another.

Regards, VivienB
Old 05-05-2004, 01:08 PM
BAC

"VivienB" wrote in message
We have to keep lime-hating plants in containers here. We have a
Pieris which has had a spell of minimal attention, which is now
looking very leggy. It is about 3 to 4 feet high and wide and in a
large plastic pot. Is it a practical proposition to rejuvenate it by
pruning and feeding, or is it unlikely to respond?

There is already much more that needs doing in this garden to try to
get/keep order than I can comfortably cope with, so if it is not a
good bet, I shall clear it away and get another.

I had a pieris which was savagely pruned by an inquisitive and gardening mad
puppy, and they both survived :-)

Old 05-05-2004, 10:06 PM
Chris Hogg

On Tue, 04 May 2004 16:55:11 +0100, VivienB
wrote:

We have to keep lime-hating plants in containers here. We have a
Pieris which has had a spell of minimal attention, which is now
looking very leggy. It is about 3 to 4 feet high and wide and in a
large plastic pot. Is it a practical proposition to rejuvenate it by
pruning and feeding, or is it unlikely to respond?

There is already much more that needs doing in this garden to try to
get/keep order than I can comfortably cope with, so if it is not a
good bet, I shall clear it away and get another.

Regards, VivienB

Prune, and feed with ericaceous fertiliser? Replace the top inch or
two of soil with ericaceous compost? Re-pot into a larger pot or a tub
and use ericaceous compost?

--
Chris

Old 05-05-2004, 10:06 PM
VivienB

wrote:

We have to keep lime-hating plants in containers here. We have a
Pieris which has had a spell of minimal attention, which is now
looking very leggy. It is about 3 to 4 feet high and wide and in a
large plastic pot. Is it a practical proposition to rejuvenate it by
pruning and feeding, or is it unlikely to respond?

There is already much more that needs doing in this garden to try to
get/keep order than I can comfortably cope with, so if it is not a
good bet, I shall clear it away and get another.

Regards, VivienB

Prune, and feed with ericaceous fertiliser? Replace the top inch or
two of soil with ericaceous compost? Re-pot into a larger pot or a tub
and use ericaceous compost?

*Any* of those. Is there any chance any of those will work?
It seems from BAC's post that pruning is not likely to kill it, but
will it end up such an odd shape I shall wish I hadn't bothered? Or
does it come back proper Pieris shape?

Regards, VivienB
Old 06-05-2004, 09:05 AM
BAC

wrote:

[...]

'My' pieris survived an involuntary pruning, as described previously. I
don't think there's much general advice about pruning pieris, because, like
most evergreen shrubs, they generally only need occasional attention like
removal of weak or dead wood. I've never done it to a pieris, but if the
bush were too big, I'd try cutting it back hard, almost to the ground, in
spring, and give it a chance to re-grow. However, as they don't cost the
earth, you might prefer to simply replace it. The important things about
pieris, IMO, is they need a damp location and an acid soil, so planting spot
selection and preparation is vital. If you're on a lime rich soil, forget
it, or try a tub, but you'll have to remember to water it! HTH

Old 06-05-2004, 11:28 AM
Registered User

Location: criccieth, north wales

Quote:
Originally posted by VivienB
We have to keep lime-hating plants in containers here. We have a
Pieris which has had a spell of minimal attention, which is now
looking very leggy. It is about 3 to 4 feet high and wide and in a
large plastic pot. Is it a practical proposition to rejuvenate it by
pruning and feeding, or is it unlikely to respond?

There is already much more that needs doing in this garden to try to
get/keep order than I can comfortably cope with, so if it is not a
good bet, I shall clear it away and get another.

Regards, VivienB
Depends on the species, Forest Flame will certainly take hard pruning some of the dwarf varieties that are not so vigorous may well need more judicious pruning
WilliamElfyn

[IBC] Pieris japonica pygmacea Jim Lewis Bonsai 4 09-03-2004 02:41 AM
[IBC] Pieris japonica Jim Lewis Bonsai 6 16-01-2004 11:12 PM
Pieris Janice United Kingdom 10 24-10-2003 06:13 PM
Pieris japonica leaves going yellow - problem? TobyB United Kingdom 1 02-05-2003 08:33 PM
Pieris Forest Flame looking sad Mon United Kingdom 2 20-02-2003 07:16 PM