Old 07-05-2004, 11:03 AM
Eirlys

Default Moss on a gravel drive

I have been told that Ferrous Sulphate applied to moss on a gravel drive
will kill it. Has anyone tried this, and, if so, what are the "proportions"
used? I have tried finding out the answer with Google but most peole seem to
want to kill moss in lawns and not on gravel.

My thanks.

Old 07-05-2004, 12:08 PM
martin

On Fri, 7 May 2004 10:55:18 +0100, "Eirlys"
wrote:

I have been told that Ferrous Sulphate applied to moss on a gravel drive
will kill it. Has anyone tried this, and, if so, what are the "proportions"
used? I have tried finding out the answer with Google but most peole seem to
want to kill moss in lawns and not on gravel.

We used a proprietary product that consisted of ferrous sulphate on
our lawn, it did work, it is not a final solution.
Old 07-05-2004, 12:08 PM
Michael Savage

"Eirlys" wrote in message

I have been told that Ferrous Sulphate applied to moss on a gravel drive
will kill it. Has anyone tried this, and, if so, what are the

"proportions"
used? I have tried finding out the answer with Google but most peole seem

want to kill moss in lawns and not on gravel.

My thanks.

I too have problems with moss and weeds on our gravel, but I'm wondering
about solving the problem at source - drainage. Our gravel is old and
compacted with too much organic matter, so I'm hoping to find a good system
for lifting it again and possibly incorporating some larger stones. Any
ideas? Going to start with hand cultivator and may end up with JCB...

Michael

Old 07-05-2004, 02:03 PM
redclay

Eirlys wrote in message

I have been told that Ferrous Sulphate applied to moss on a gravel drive
will kill it. Has anyone tried this, and, if so, what are the

"proportions"
used? I have tried finding out the answer with Google but most peole seem

want to kill moss in lawns and not on gravel.

My thanks.

Just sprinkle the moss with bicarbonate of soda which will raise the pH and
kill the moss. After that if you want to keep it out try to eliminate the
dampness and/or the shade. If can't do that ensure the pH is always above
7.0 by spreading lime a couple times a year.

Old 07-05-2004, 07:07 PM
Eirlys

"redclay" wrote in message

Eirlys wrote in message

Thanks for all the advice.
Whilst checking up facts re Jeyes` Fluid I came across the information
abbout using Ferrous Sulphate but I cannot find that info again and I can`t
recall the exact proportions used. Any more help would be welcomed.

Just sprinkle the moss with bicarbonate of soda which will raise the pH

and
kill the moss. After that if you want to keep it out try to eliminate

the
dampness and/or the shade. If can't do that ensure the pH is always above
7.0 by spreading lime a couple times a year.

Craftsman front wheel drive mower won't drive. Pete E. Kruzer Gardening 1 23-05-2007 04:07 PM
Gravel Amount - Gravel Koi-Lo Ponds 7 08-06-2006 07:12 AM
Leaves on a gravel drive zippo4 United Kingdom 19 20-11-2004 11:37 AM
Moss on tarmac drive binkx United Kingdom 5 17-12-2003 09:08 PM
Gravel or no gravel Barry Ponds 3 18-09-2003 12:12 AM