Old 08-05-2004, 04:08 PM
Cereus-validus

Default Mushrooms in my lawn.....

There is no such thing as a mushroom season.

The fruiting bodies can appear at any time the conditions are favorable.

"martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 8 May 2004 12:00:48 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 8 May 2004 11:07:55 +0100, Kate Morgan
wrote:

My other half picked some mushrooms from our garden yesterday and

ate
them, said they were very good

When is the wake? :-) or perhaps :-((( ?

Isn't May a little early for wild mushrooms?

I dunno, we always have them this time of the year and hubby is fine,
cutting the lawn as I speak :-)

Aren't they fungii, rather than mushrooms?

No, Fungi is a dolphin which lives off the coast by the Dingle in

Southern
Ireland

no? shirley the fact that some Irish ignoramus Seamus has confused a
dolphin for a fungus is irrelevant?

For the pedants: Isn't it a bit early for Agaricus campestris and
Agaricus arvensis?

Old 08-05-2004, 04:08 PM
martin

On Sat, 08 May 2004 14:17:36 GMT, "Cereus-validus"
wrote:

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
.. .
All mushrooms are fungi.

However not all fungi are mushrooms.

I think poster was checking if they were mushrooms or another type of
fungus - could be Toadstools of course :-)

Common names are of no significance. They are all fungi.

What does matter is whether they are edible or poisonous.

When somebody says they have giant mushrooms in their garden and I ask
if it isn't a little early for them, the common name does matter. It
doesn't matter whether they are edible or not, because we know that
they are, OP said her husband ate them.
There are a very limited number of edible fungi referred to as
mushrooms.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:09 PM
Cereus-validus

Semantics.

Fungi commonly called "Mushrooms" are found in two otherwise very different
and not closely allied classes: Basidiomycetes and Ascomycetes. "Mushrooms"
are not a natural group.

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
snip
Aren't they fungii, rather than mushrooms?

as someone else has pointed out, mushrooms are edible fungi.

Old 08-05-2004, 04:10 PM
martin

On Sat, 08 May 2004 14:20:02 GMT, "Cereus-validus"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 8 May 2004 12:00:48 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

My other half picked some mushrooms from our garden yesterday and

ate
them, said they were very good

When is the wake? :-) or perhaps :-((( ?

Isn't May a little early for wild mushrooms?

I dunno, we always have them this time of the year and hubby is fine,
cutting the lawn as I speak :-)

Aren't they fungii, rather than mushrooms?

No, Fungi is a dolphin which lives off the coast by the Dingle in

Southern
Ireland

no? shirley the fact that some Irish ignoramus Seamus has confused a
dolphin for a fungus is irrelevant?

For the pedants: Isn't it a bit early for Agaricus campestris and
Agaricus arvensis?

There is no such thing as a mushroom season.

The fruiting bodies can appear at any time the conditions are favorable.

Except the season is dictated by when the conditions are favourable
normally late summer for horse mushrooms in N Yorks.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:12 PM
Cereus-validus

Who asked you, you garden gnome?

Are you the one that made the original posting?

So you have managed to take advantage of other people's ignorance. You
should really be proud of yourself.

Old 08-05-2004, 04:13 PM
martin

On Sat, 08 May 2004 14:32:27 GMT, "Cereus-validus"
wrote:

Who asked you, you garden gnome?

Are you the one that made the original posting?

So you have managed to take advantage of other people's ignorance. You
should really be proud of yourself.

Plonked and long over due.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:14 PM
Kate Morgan

snip

When somebody says they have giant mushrooms in their garden and I ask
if it isn't a little early for them, the common name does matter. It
doesn't matter whether they are edible or not, because we know that
they are, OP said her husband ate them.
There are a very limited number of edible fungi referred to as
mushrooms.

Todays Western Daily Press magazine, West Country Life contains a
article by Chris Rundle, he writes that St.George has delivered his
usual crop of mushrooms,indeed he has.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Lazarus Cooke

no? shirley the fact that some Irish ignoramus Seamus has confused a
dolphin for a fungus is irrelevant?

For the pedants: Isn't it a bit early for Agaricus campestris and
Agaricus arvensis?

Hmm. This particular Irish ignoramus Seamus thinks that it is indeed a
bit early for Agaricus campestris and Agaricus arvensis, and that it's
quite likely to be agaricus xanthodermus (yellow stainer), which
regularly appears in my garden at this time of year. It looks very
similar to arvensis, which can also stain yellow, but they have a
different spore print. arvensis spores are puple-brown, ellipsoid,
7-8x4.5-5m, while xanthodermus are purple-brown, ellipsoid, 5-6x3-5m.

Incidentally. xanthodermus is poisonous, but only some people are
affected. But it's a good idea to be damn sure that you know exactly
what it is you're eating. If you don't know how to differentiate
between these, and don't know what I've been talking about, you
shouldn't be eating them.

Lazarus

--
Remover the rock from the email address
Old 08-05-2004, 07:10 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
. ..

My other half picked some mushrooms from our garden yesterday and

ate
them, said they were very good

When is the wake? :-) or perhaps :-((( ?

Isn't May a little early for wild mushrooms?

I dunno, we always have them this time of the year and hubby is

fine,
cutting the lawn as I speak :-)

Perhaps they are St. George's mushrooms?

Franz

Old 08-05-2004, 11:07 PM
Cereus-validus

ROTFLMAO!

Now I can make fun of you behind your back, you pompous git!!!!

Old 11-05-2004, 02:16 PM
Frogleg

On Fri, 7 May 2004 11:19:39 +0100, "StanDan"
wrote:

Please help me get rid of these nasty big mushrooms in my lawn they're
ruining it!

Mushrooms are signs of rich soil and damp. They do no harm to grass.
If you don't like them, just knock them over. They are virtually
impossible to "get rid of" as the spores are everywhere and will grow
given favorable (for mushroom) conditions. Be *very* careful about
eating them. That is, be *absolutely* sure of identification. This
means consulting at least 2 detailed guides, not hearing someone say,
"oh, yes. Those little lawn mushrooms -- they're OK to eat." Mushroom
poisoning is very nasty.
Old 13-05-2004, 10:11 AM
Larry Stoter

martin wrote:

On Fri, 7 May 2004 22:12:14 +0100, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

"StanDan" wrote in message
Please help me get rid of these nasty big mushrooms in my lawn they're
ruining it!

Pick them and eat them.

What about the poor garden gnomes that live under them?

Barbequed gnome?
--
Larry Stoter
Old 15-05-2004, 05:08 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kate Morgan contains these words:

snip
Aren't they fungii, rather than mushrooms?

as someone else has pointed out, mushrooms are edible fungi.

Mushrooms encompass any fungus with a cap and a stipe, some of which are
edible, most of which are inedible, and a few (proportionally) are
poisonous.

Even if you are going to (incorrectly) consider the genus Agaricus as
'mushrooms', there are two poisonous species in that. (Yer shop mushroom
is Agaricus bisporus)

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 15-05-2004, 05:09 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

When somebody says they have giant mushrooms in their garden and I ask
if it isn't a little early for them, the common name does matter. It
doesn't matter whether they are edible or not, because we know that
they are, OP said her husband ate them.
There are a very limited number of edible fungi referred to as
mushrooms.

There are literally thousands of fungi which are referred to as
'mushrooms', and not all of them are edible, and some are poisonous.

Old 15-05-2004, 05:10 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

Isn't May a little early for wild mushrooms?

Depends on the variety. There are (about) 36 species of Agaricus in the
British Isles, 34 of which are safe to eat. If the base of the stipe
turns bright yellow *IMMEDIATELY* it is cut, avoid the mushroom, it
might make you ill.

I've found Agaricus bitorquis this year (about a month ago), and A.
augustus in February a couple of years ago.

St. George's mushroom (not the same family) derives its name from its
habit of appearing around St. George's day - April 23rd.