Old 11-05-2004, 11:23 PM
Franz Heymann

Default ??Greenhouse??

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in
message ...
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains

these words:

What is the *real* purpose of gardenbanter?

Making money for the webmaster.

Internet advertisers want to buy space on websites which lure large
audiences. Each occasion a person logs on to the website, is called

hit. The more hits a website records, the more it can charge to
advertisers. A website that acts as a portal to usenet groups can

score
a vast number of hits, even though the website itself has no

content.

Thanks, Janet. At last I understand.
What a miserable occupation.
Let's all think hard about how we could make a monkey of gardenbanter
without actually breaking any laws.
Perhaps we could point out to each poster coming in via gardenbanter
how stupid it is to acces urg via that website rather than joining urg
directly.

Franz

Old 11-05-2004, 11:23 PM
martin

On Tue, 11 May 2004 21:31:57 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

[...]

Set
X-No archive YES
and then post silly advice.
Google won't archive it, but sites like gardenbanter will
Old 11-05-2004, 11:25 PM
Tumbleweed

"martin" wrote in message
snip
Perhaps we could point out to each poster coming in via gardenbanter
how stupid it is to acces urg via that website rather than joining urg
directly.

Set
X-No archive YES
and then post silly advice.
Google won't archive it, but sites like gardenbanter will

Yes it will because if anyone replies to such a post the original message is
generally going to be in the reply (very few people snip) and thus will be
archived by google.
X no archive is pointless these days (and maybe always has been).

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

Old 12-05-2004, 09:08 AM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

[...]

Whilst Google might not archive my reply, how will Google know that I
did not want it archived at a later stage when my reply has been
subsumed in later replies from other urglers?

Franz

Old 12-05-2004, 11:18 AM
martin

On Wed, 12 May 2004 07:59:18 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

Whilst Google might not archive my reply, how will Google know that I
did not want it archived at a later stage when my reply has been
subsumed in later replies from other urglers?

It can't. Google naively assumes that people will snip posts, not copy
the complete post over and over again. My mail tool has a "Respect
others X-no archive settings" but I am not sure what it does other
than give the user a warm feeling :-)

There's a similar site to gardenbanter that collates boat newsgroup
posts. At least I understand the motivation now.

Old 12-05-2004, 11:24 PM
Cumberpach

"martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 May 2004 07:59:18 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

snip
My mail tool has a "Respect others X-no archive settings" but I am not

sure what it does other than give the user a warm feeling

Is it in the form of a tattoo ?

Pete

Old 12-05-2004, 11:27 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Janet Baraclough..12/5/04 3:13

Look up "Pacific Bubble", and don't bother :-)

Janet.

I thought it was "South Sea"? ;-)

Yes, it was, thanks :-) I knew there was something wrong with it as I
typed. It's all this sunshine, baking the brain.

Janet.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:33 PM
martin

On Wed, 12 May 2004 20:43:25 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

The only question I have, is; How do I get in on the game?

We could probably find you a tasteful shop window in Warmoesstraat

if
you are serious :-)

Bring your own light?

and don't hide it under a bushel?

greenhouse frogs Dave Lockwood Orchids 4 01-04-2003 05:20 PM
Greenhouse for herbs? JoAnna Gardening 3 09-02-2003 03:36 PM
Cleaning greenhouse Dave Orchids 8 09-02-2003 08:01 AM
Central Illinois Retail Greenhouse, Garden Center, and Nursery Business - For Sale by Owner Eades Greenhouse and Nursery Gardening 0 03-02-2003 09:15 PM
Ant-hostile greenhouse Vespaman Orchids 0 28-01-2003 04:26 PM