Old 10-05-2004, 04:25 PM
Monk

Default Petrol mower starter motor jams

Any idea why the starter cord on a petrol mower should jam, when
nothing has been caught in the mechanism? The mower was working fine,
then cut out, because it was low on oil. We filled the oil but the
cord now jams and won't pull.

I'm sure this has happened before and after a while it worked OK.

Is there some built-in fail-safe that causes this?

If possible, can you reply by email as well?
Old 10-05-2004, 07:34 PM
Brian

One horrible thought. If the engine stopped through lack of oil then there
is a probability that the engine has 'seized'. I hope I an wrong.
This last happened to me having put petrol, instead of petroil, in my two
stroke!! The biggest problem was that I had no-one else to blame!! A new
engine needed.
Good Luck Brian
om...

Old 10-05-2004, 07:34 PM
Rod

On Mon, 10 May 2004 19:03:56 +0100, "Brian"
wrote:

One horrible thought. If the engine stopped through lack of oil then there
is a probability that the engine has 'seized'. I hope I an wrong.
This last happened to me having put petrol, instead of petroil, in my two
stroke!! The biggest problem was that I had no-one else to blame!! A new
engine needed.

That was my first thought.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply
Old 10-05-2004, 07:35 PM
len gardener

g'day monk,

could be a number of reasons, but first you can try some things.

check oil level make sure it isn't overfull.

take out the spark plug then pull starter see what happens, if oil has
gotten into the upper cylinder it could stop the piston travel, so
doing this you may shoot some oil out of the plug hole, this is a
simple fix just pull starter a number of time to blow as much oil out
as possible give plug a bit of a was off in some fuel then replace all
things being equal the mower should start though it could blow some
smoke for a bit.

if after taking the plug out you can't turn the motor by the starter,
tilt the mower in the case of b&s with the carby side down or the plug
end up and try turning the motor by turning the disk. if you can turn
the disk then this could also mean the starter is faulty if you can't
then you could ahve serious problems most likely a bad score in the
bore from running very low in oil.

if none of this helps take it to a mower repairer for their advice
opinion.

see how you go

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

Old 11-05-2004, 12:11 AM
Peter Coddington

"Monk" wrote in message
om...
Any idea why the starter cord on a petrol mower should jam, when
nothing has been caught in the mechanism? The mower was working fine,
then cut out, because it was low on oil. We filled the oil but the
cord now jams and won't pull.

I'm sure this has happened before and after a while it worked OK.

Is there some built-in fail-safe that causes this?

If possible, can you reply by email as well?

This could be a jammed recoil spring in the Recoil Starter Assembly unit.A
problem I cured on my Qualcast Suffolk Punch 43S mower.
However It may be of assistance if you let us know the make and model of
lawn
:Peter,

Old 23-05-2004, 11:16 PM
Monk

The oil dipstick had broken off and stuck in the oil chamber. The
whole engine had seized and, to cut a long story short, it was a sad
day in toyland .

So I bought a new McCullough (with a Briggs & Stratton engine) from
Argos and I'm back in business. I wonder, though, if someone could
explain exactly what the different oil types (30W,SF etc) mean and
which is best. Also, will some oils make the painful process of
starting via the pull cord easier?

Happy mowing to all.
Old 24-05-2004, 07:09 PM
Registered User

Location: WARWKS

i've been servicing garden machinary for a year now, and the oil that manufacturers reccomend is sae 30, different oils are different thicknesses. it still does the same and normaly wont harm your mower. just a quiery, do you still have your old mower if so do you want rid of it as i could find use for it as spares if your not too far away.

Spear & Jackson Petrol Hedge Trimmer Petrol Leak ted4272 United Kingdom 6 18-07-2012 12:36 PM
McCulloch Motor Mower-Self Propelled; how to adapt so grass bag canbe changed without stopping engine Gel United Kingdom 16 26-10-2009 03:01 PM
mower starter problem Dave Gardening 3 14-06-2004 05:05 AM
Ryobi trimmer line jams Dave K. Gardening 5 04-06-2003 06:44 AM
help required for honda motor mower Laurie United Kingdom 1 22-10-2002 10:10 AM