Old 15-05-2004, 06:09 PM
Jabba

Default OT Customers from hell

"John Edgar" wrote in message

No John, I'm sorry to say that stating that I'm not part of "a

significant
portion" is a rather poor argument. You remind me of a coversation, when

was younger, between myself, my father and my mother. Halfway through my
father's telling off, my mother quickly added, isn't that just what your
father used to say to you?

John
In limine sapientiae

John
In limine sapientiae

What's the problem? If your grandfather was right in telling off your
father, then maybe your father was right in telling off you? That is
how some standards of behaviour become just that: standards of
behaviour. I appreciate that change must occur, but that implies that
new standards are set. What the complaints are about now, I believe,
is that there simply are no standards, and that is perhaps because
people like your grandfather and father are no longer doing their
children favours by setting them right on certain issues. They could
be setting them wrong as well, I suppose.

The problem is John, the assumption 'that it was all so much better in my
day'. Every generation does it and I'm sure the next generation will aswell.

Yes there are standards, they may be different from the standards that you
'think' you had, but isn't that to be expected.

p.s. Just take of those rose tinted spectacles and we'll all be happy.

John
In limine sapientiae

Old 16-05-2004, 10:14 AM
John Edgar

The problem is John, the assumption 'that it was all so much better in my
day'. Every generation does it and I'm sure the next generation will aswell.

Yes there are standards, they may be different from the standards that you
'think' you had, but isn't that to be expected.

p.s. Just take of those rose tinted spectacles and we'll all be happy.

John
In limine sapientiae

I certainly do not believe that things were better in my day. In fact
I am famous for using the expression " . . . in the bad old days."
Most things have become better, however we may interpret that word.
The point is that we have access to so much more information now,
which is great, and so we hear a lot more about everything. The
expression "no news is good news" must have the corollary that "news =
bad news," and that is what we particularly hear about. I think this
Daily Mirror business is a case in point. Maybe 30 years ago, a
"respectful" and subservient press with the proprietors gunning for
their peerages, would not have perpetrated such a stunt.

So, we now hear bad (made up) things about army goings-on, whereas in
the bad old days we might not have. Perhaps therein lies a problem.
Lets hear about both kinds of news, good as well as bad. Then I will
take off my rose coloured spectacles.
John
In limine sapientiae
Old 16-05-2004, 11:08 AM
Jabba

"John Edgar" wrote in message

[...]

Probably couldn't have put it better myself.

I do like the idea of good news and bad news but I can't see a story with
the following headline:

"Teenage Gives Up Seat For Old Person on The 5B Bus"

Not going to happen is it?

"Drunken Louts Terrorise OAP In Violent Rampage"

Now that's news ;-)

Now then, back to mowing my somewhat mossy lawn.

John
In limine sapientiae

Old 16-05-2004, 04:06 PM
tuin man

"Jabba" wrote in message

"John Edgar" wrote in message

SNIpED
I do like the idea of good news and bad news but I can't see a story with
the following headline:

"Teenage Gives Up Seat For Old Person on The 5B Bus"

Ah yes... I remember it well!, Though actually, It wasn't on the 5B Bus. It
was on the tube, but whether circle line or northern line I can't recall.
It was rush hour. She was ooooh, about 12. Ok, lets say 13, just to make her
a teen and she offered me her seat.
Only 6 months before I had lamented on how everyone was inclined to vastly
underestimate my age. At 30 I still had to carry ID and customers would
always think they were dealing with a "boy". Then suddenly it all changed
and the opposite became the norm. It would be assumed to be in in my 40s or
50's though in actual fact a mere 32.
So when the young girl offered me that seat I couldn't help but think...
what ever happened to the years in between?

Patrick

Old 17-05-2004, 02:23 AM
Chris

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
: I'm sure everyone here who has ever been involved in a service industry
has
: their own horror stories to tell but my personal nastiest happened a
couple
: of days ago. Ray and I were walking down one of the paths when our dogs
: raced off, round a corner and started a lot of barking and general hurling
: of abuse. Sure enough, someone had brought a dog in. We decided to
ignore
: it 'just this once' until we realised that the dog was off the lead and by
: now causing something of a ruckus with ours. Both of us politely pointed
: out to this great slob of a yob and his vacuously grinning wife and child
: that there was a notice up saying "no dogs". They answered that they had
: come in via the churchyard where there is no notice because it's rarely
: used. Fair enough. So again, very nicely, I said to the man "I'm sorry
but
: we don't allow dogs in the nursery, please would you put yours back in
your
: car". He muttered something at me which I didn't hear and when I asked
him
: to repeat it, he turned and walked off back towards the church. I'd
noticed
: their dog was absolutely soaking wet but hadn't thought much of it until
we
: walked up past the fishpond and noticed huge puddles of water lying all
: around it, over the flagstones. I pointed this out to Ray and for the
first
: time in 5 years I saw my husband thoroughly lose his temper - he is the
most
: equable of men. He stormed after slob-yob and castigated him for so
: mistreating our home and thicko replied that the dog had really enjoyed
its
: swim, had probably eaten a couple of the goldfish, asked Ray how long he's
: had the nursery because 'it's really gone downhill since the last bloke
: left' (R has been here nearly 23 years and it wasn't a garden plant
: nursery!) He told Ray that I'd sworn at him - and honest, gentle reader I
: didn't - though now I wish I'd let fly with all the words I know and a few
: I'd made up and then, for some bizarre reason, aggressively asked Ray
: "wherejoo tek yer O levels then". Ray's answer was something to the
effect
: that this would have been in the Parachute Regiment, where he also learned
: lot about the effects of granite headstones on peoples' faces. Slob-yob
and
: family did a hasty about turn and beat it to their car.
: I've only just stopped seething about this and Ray still has the odd dark
: mutter - but I cannot begin to imagine what gets into people or where
their
: wits are, if they think this is any way to behave *anywhere*, let alone in
: someone else's garden! For a moment we were looking for the Candid
Camera,
: so astonished were we at this outrageous behaviour. Luckily, it's the
only
: time anything *quite* as nasty as this has happened and I hope it's the
: last!
: --
:

LOL, sounds like a perfectly normal yob family to me