Old 13-05-2004, 08:13 PM
Todd

Default Hop seed: ? Fuggles?

How long does it take hop seed to germinate?
Any special requirements?

Todd
Old 13-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Gary Woods

Todd wrote:

How long does it take hop seed to germinate?
Any special requirements?

I've only seen it propagated from root cuttings, since you want only, I
think, male plants for their flowers. Grows like a weed that way.

Old 16-05-2004, 12:10 PM
Roy Bailey

In article , Todd
writes
How long does it take hop seed to germinate?
Any special requirements?

I have 12 brewing hop plants growing along a large trellis. I grew them from seed
from a bine given to me by a Kentish brewer in 1994 and I believe it took a
couple of years before the plants started producing. So if you sow the seeds this
autumn, the plants will start growing next year and you should get some hops in
2006.

If you want to use them for home brewing, you will need to discard all the male
plants except one. Males have very tiny flowers; it is the females that bear the
hops.

Beware! Once the plants are established, the roots spread, and the plants grow
very tall - in excess of 20 feet. Mine are already about 10 feet tall and I have
to train them up the longest hazel nut sticks I can find. Even then they grow off
the top.

If you are thinking of purchasing seed, the new dwarf varieties like First Gold
would be better for a garden.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Old 17-05-2004, 01:10 AM
Douglas

"Roy Bailey" wrote in message
In article , Todd
writes
[...]

*********************************
In the County of Kent, England, (known as the 'The Garden of England'
because of its many fecund orchards and its balmy summer weather so
suitable for growing hops and hard fruits such as apples), the hop-pickers
families including the women and children from the London slums used to
gather at harvest time, lived in tents and made some much needed wages.
The men tended and cut the hops and in order to carry out the work they
stood and walked about standing on very high wooden stilts.
The women and children gathered the cut hop-heads, packed them into baskets
and did all the tidying up. They treated it as a holiday.
I think it is a pity that the noble tradition has now passed.
Doug.
********************************

Old 17-05-2004, 03:16 AM
Gary Woods

"Douglas" wrote:

the hop-pickers
families including the women and children from the London slums used to
gather at harvest time, lived in tents and made some much needed wages.

Schoharie County, U.S. was likewise a center of hop farming some years ago.
The schools closed for a week or so in the fall for the harvest.

Old 17-05-2004, 11:07 AM
Douglas

"Douglas" wrote in message news:...

"Roy Bailey" wrote in message
In article , Todd
writes

Old 17-05-2004, 04:10 PM
Janet Baraclough..

"Douglas" wrote
In the County of Kent, England, (known as the 'The Garden of England'
because of its many fecund orchards and its balmy summer weather so
suitable for growing hops and hard fruits such as apples), the hop-pickers
families including the women and children from the London slums used to
gather at harvest time, lived in tents and made some much needed wages.
The men tended and cut the hops and in order to carry out the work they
stood and walked about standing on very high wooden stilts.
The women and children gathered the cut hop-heads, packed them into

baskets
and did all the tidying up. They treated it as a holiday.
I think it is a pity that the noble tradition has now passed.
Doug.

Anyone who wants to experience the "noble tradition" of handcropping
for a "holiday", could join the workgangs of East-Europeans who do such
work on British farms for a pittance.

Only very poor people will tolerate such working conditions; which is
why it was done by London's slum inhabitants (and rural women and
children in Herefordshire, and children in Scotland).

Janet.

Old 17-05-2004, 08:07 PM
Nibbs

On Mon, 17 May 2004 12:32:54 +0100, this interesting one arrived from
Janet Baraclough.. :

Anyone who wants to experience the "noble tradition" of handcropping
for a "holiday", could join the workgangs of East-Europeans who do such
work on British farms for a pittance.

Go forth and multiply. You f*****g T**d

Nibbs
Old 17-05-2004, 11:21 PM
Anne Jackson

The message
from Janet Baraclough.. contains
these words:

"Douglas" wrote
[...]

There were so many rules and regulations brought in about employing
youngsters to pick berries that a farmer friend of mine now has
squads of East Europeans pick his crops. They do a far better
job, too, according to him.

--
AnneJ
Old 18-05-2004, 09:13 AM
martin

On Mon, 17 May 2004 22:33:25 +0100, Anne Jackson
wrote:

Only very poor people will tolerate such working conditions; which is
why it was done by London's slum inhabitants (and rural women and
children in Herefordshire, and children in Scotland).

There were so many rules and regulations brought in about employing
youngsters to pick berries that a farmer friend of mine now has
squads of East Europeans pick his crops. They do a far better
job, too, according to him.

There are also rules about employing East Europeans, but these tend to
be ignored.

Old 18-05-2004, 02:30 PM
Todd

On Sun, 16 May 2004 11:40:51 +0100, this interesting one arrived from
Roy Bailey :

In article , Todd
writes
[...]

Thanks for the info Roy.
Old 18-05-2004, 02:31 PM
Todd

On Mon, 17 May 2004 00:25:07 +0100, this interesting one arrived from
"Douglas" :

In the County of Kent, England, (known as the 'The Garden of England'
because of its many fecund orchards and its balmy summer weather so
suitable for growing hops and hard fruits such as apples), the hop-pickers
families including the women and children from the London slums used to
gather at harvest time, lived in tents and made some much needed wages.

This brings back memories! For my sins, a badly blotted copy book,
instead of returning to Scotland for the summer vac I had to spend
from May to October '59 in Kent at the home of my professor compiling
an inventory of very dry manuscripts and publications dealing with the
Late Middle Ages.....I thought I was in for one hell of a time. Thanks
to an old grocery delivery bike it was one of the best summers I have
ever experienced. Social, economic and demographic change was in full
swing but the beer, cider, grub, scenery and people (females) well
what can one say.

Todd
Old 18-05-2004, 02:33 PM
Angus Storerer

On Mon, 17 May 2004 12:32:54 +0100, this interesting one arrived from
Janet Baraclough.. :

LEFT WING RUBBISH SNIPPED

You silly old c**t. Go forth and multiply.
How long does it take for a brain like yours to get so f****d up?
Never mind germination time.....you f******g old fart.

Thankyou for your contribution.

Angus
Old 18-05-2004, 04:19 PM
Gary Woods

Todd wrote:

Thanks
to an old grocery delivery bike it was one of the best summers I have
ever experienced.

Is that what used to be called (still is?) "rusticated?"

Old 18-05-2004, 04:21 PM
Matt Barton

On Tue, 18 May 2004 13:55:27 +0100, Angus Storerer
wrote:

LEFT WING RUBBISH SNIPPED

You silly old c**t. Go forth and multiply.
How long does it take for a brain like yours to get so f****d up?
Never mind germination time.....you f******g old fart.

Why bother with self censorship? If you're going to be that offensive
and incendiary why not have the balls to say what you mean?

Even better: don't bother at all.

Matt

Do Rats Hop? Andyman United Kingdom 0 15-02-2007 11:50 PM
Hop propagation. Best method? Allen Caius United Kingdom 11 26-10-2005 11:48 PM
Growing hop in my garden castor007 United Kingdom 1 30-03-2005 11:16 AM
hedging plants - chestnuts & golden hop? Victoria Clare United Kingdom 12 06-04-2004 09:48 PM
What's chowing down on my hop plants? Mark Pruett Gardening 20 02-06-2003 07:20 AM