Old 19-05-2004, 01:09 PM
Vicky

Default slug control

How can I get rid of the little gits that keep eating my lettuce plants - an
inch high and eaten overnight. :-(

I don't want to use pellets so what alternatives are there apart from not
growing lettuce?

Vicky

Old 19-05-2004, 01:10 PM
Mariann

"Vicky" wrote in message
How can I get rid of the little gits that keep eating my lettuce plants -

an
inch high and eaten overnight. :-(

I don't want to use pellets so what alternatives are there apart from not
growing lettuce?

Vicky

I have a wander in the garden every evening with a bucket ... put all the
snails ans slugs I find in the bucket carefully and take them to the nearby
field ...so far none has made it back ..as far as I know ...
I hate to kill little life's

Old 19-05-2004, 01:10 PM
Martin

Vicky wrote:
How can I get rid of the little gits that keep eating my lettuce
plants - an inch high and eaten overnight. :-(

I don't want to use pellets so what alternatives are there apart from
not growing lettuce?

Vicky

Theakston's Old Peculiar in a shallow bowl. Or indeed any other beer you may
have lying around.

See earlier thread.

Martin

Old 19-05-2004, 01:10 PM
Vicky

"Oxymel_of_Squill" wrote in message
why don't you want pellets, they're the best answer

Because I'm a bit wary of anything that tells me it's highly dangerous to
children and pets

Vicky

Old 19-05-2004, 02:16 PM
D Russell

"Martin" wrote in message
Vicky wrote:
How can I get rid of the little gits that keep eating my lettuce
plants - an inch high and eaten overnight. :-(

I don't want to use pellets so what alternatives are there apart from
not growing lettuce?

Vicky

Theakston's Old Peculiar in a shallow bowl. Or indeed any other beer you

may
have lying around.

See earlier thread.

Martin

Yea nip to your local pub, ask them for some old beer either from cleaning
the pipes or from the drip trays, put this in tubs with lids on, and holes
about an inch up the sides. I find old ice cream tubs are perfect for this.
You can put a 1cm wide hole, 1 inch up from the ground and still put a fair
amount of old beer in it.

As for using "Old Peculiar" that's got to be sacriligeous surely, I mean
John Smiths find, but Old Peculiar, no no no far too nice for the slugs.

This does work a treat, doesn't poison frogs, hedgehogs, thrushes, and all
the other wildlife that actually may eat slugs themselves anyway, so vastly
superior to using pellets. Also if you get the drip tray beer, it's very
much cheaper too.

Duncan

Old 19-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Martin

SNIP

Yea nip to your local pub, ask them for some old beer either from
cleaning the pipes or from the drip trays, put this in tubs with lids
on, and holes about an inch up the sides. I find old ice cream tubs
are perfect for this. You can put a 1cm wide hole, 1 inch up from the
ground and still put a fair amount of old beer in it.

As for using "Old Peculiar" that's got to be sacriligeous surely, I
mean John Smiths find, but Old Peculiar, no no no far too nice for
the slugs.

Indeed! I was only teasing.

;)

Martin

SNIP

Old 19-05-2004, 06:15 PM
Lee BARRASS

I've tried all the usuals - picking them, beer traps but I have had too many
until recent years ...

Wilkos (and garden centres) sell 'animal friendly' slug killer. The white
granules come in a plastic pack and they say they are safe for animals and
kids and they don't need to be kept away.

Result - only 1 slug sighted in the garden last night.

HTH

Lee.

Old 19-05-2004, 07:04 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Mariann
writes

I have a wander in the garden every evening with a bucket ... put all the
snails ans slugs I find in the bucket carefully and take them to the nearby
field ...so far none has made it back ..as far as I know ...

Some years ago someone on this group tried an experiment. He painted the
shells of snails a conspicuous colour and then chucked them as far over
his hedge as he could hurl them. They were back in the garden in a
couple of days!!!!!!

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 19-05-2004, 10:14 PM
Mariann

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article , Mariann
writes

I have a wander in the garden every evening with a bucket ... put all the
snails ans slugs I find in the bucket carefully and take them to the

nearby
field ...so far none has made it back ..as far as I know ...

Some years ago someone on this group tried an experiment. He painted the
shells of snails a conspicuous colour and then chucked them as far over
his hedge as he could hurl them. They were back in the garden in a
couple of days!!!!!!

I suspect you are right and they come back ..there couldn't possibly be
that many every night otherwise ... I don't really mind too much as long as
they leave my nice plants and eat only the weed ...sigh...

Old 20-05-2004, 08:11 AM
Franz Heymann

"D Russell" wrote in message
"Martin" wrote in message
Vicky wrote:
[...]

And what, if I may ask, is wrong with John Smith's?

This does work a treat, doesn't poison frogs, hedgehogs, thrushes,

and all
the other wildlife that actually may eat slugs themselves anyway, so

vastly
superior to using pellets. Also if you get the drip tray beer, it's

very
much cheaper too.

I'd rather drink the beer and give the slugs pellets.

Franz

Old 20-05-2004, 03:10 PM
Stuart

I never used slug pellets until this stuff came along:

http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalo...1_179&products
_id=1821

Regards,

Stuart Forbes

Old 23-05-2004, 03:05 PM
Franz Heymann

"Martin" wrote in message
Vicky wrote:
How can I get rid of the little gits that keep eating my lettuce
plants - an inch high and eaten overnight. :-(

I don't want to use pellets so what alternatives are there apart

from
not growing lettuce?

Vicky

Theakston's Old Peculiar in a shallow bowl. Or indeed any other beer

you may
have lying around.

The concept of "beer lying around" does not exist.

Franz