Old 24-05-2004, 11:28 PM
martin

Default mares tail

On Mon, 24 May 2004 23:01:30 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message

How come it hasn't taken over the whole world? :-)

Well we have it on our allotments, and have had from the start. I've noticed
it seems to spread in a wave, the front of which is of very thick lush
growth and behind that it gets less and less. Probably uses up most of the
nutrients it needs and then tails off. Seen the same initial lushness and
then the tailing off on a railway line near here.

When I was a kid, I only remember it growing on industrial waste land,
bomb sites, railway tracks etc.

Old 25-05-2004, 09:04 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
martin writes:

| Marestail is ineradicable. I fought it for 11 years in one garden
| without winning.
|
| How come it hasn't taken over the whole world? :-)

It did, once. It's waiting until the climate is right for it
again. Stick around for a few hundred million years, and you
will see :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-05-2004, 10:02 AM
Judith Lea

In article , Judith Lea
writes

Thank you to everyone - it has got into my shrubbery and flower beds
from the field next door - would adding washing up fluid help the
Roundup to stick to the plant?
--
Judith Lea

Old 25-05-2004, 01:29 PM
Martin Brown

In message , Derek.Moody
writes
In article , Derek Moody
URL:mailto
Nothing at all. Pete the troll is forhing my name again. Assume that
anything he writes is garbage.

For example:
Roundup is highly toxic, dangerous and completely unnecessary, not to

It is in fact one of the safest herbicides available. The reps used to
drink it to demonstrate its safety -

That is a pretty dumb thing to do. The active ingredient is fairly
harmless, but the powerful wetting agents in commercial formulations are
really not something you want to drink. Cavalier handling of the
industrial strength concentrate by the terminally stupid has led to some
injuries by ingestion.

though since generic versions have been
on the market and the potential profits are now very low they seem to have
given up as the flavour is not a great selling point.

Unless you really like Monsanto always choose the own brand with the
best concentration of active ingredient per unit price (or Zeneca's
variant).

Regards,
--
Martin Brown

Old 25-05-2004, 03:18 PM
Dr RubikZ. Phd

On Tue, 25 May 2004 09:53:25 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

In message , Derek.Moody
writes
In article , Derek Moody
URL:mailto
Nothing at all. Pete the troll is forhing my name again. Assume that
anything he writes is garbage.

For example:
Roundup is highly toxic, dangerous and completely unnecessary, not to

It is in fact one of the safest herbicides available. The reps used to
drink it to demonstrate its safety -

That is a pretty dumb thing to do.

If you knew anything about derek moody the forger/troll and porno king
you would not be surprised at what he drinks.

The active ingredient is fairly
harmless, but the powerful wetting agents in commercial formulations are
really not something you want to drink. Cavalier handling of the
industrial strength concentrate by the terminally stupid has led to some
injuries by ingestion.

Indeed. Amazing really who would risk it.

To avoid grizzlies, the Alaska Department of Fish & Game advises hikers
to wear noisy little bells on clothes and carry pepper spray. Also watch
for signs of activity: Black bear scat is smaller and contains berries;
grizzly scat has little bells in it and smells like pepper.
Old 25-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Brian

"Judith Lea" wrote in message
In article , Judith Lea
writes

Thank you to everyone - it has got into my shrubbery and flower beds
from the field next door - would adding washing up fluid help the
Roundup to stick to the plant?
--
Judith Lea

Judith,
Try cutting the stems at a long angle and then smear with Roundup mixed
with a little wallpaper paste. It remains for days and has been very
effective with Japanese Knotweed and every weed I've ever encountered. Wear
throw-away [very cheap] plastic gloves.[not that I bother]. This method gets
under the repellent outer covering.
This paste method is very good with all weeds within wanted plant areas as
there is no drift.
Well worth a try.
Roundup from a farmers' outlet seems much stronger and when last bought
cost about £17 a litre.[smallest available]. Enough to eliminate an acre~~
and doesn't seem to deteriorate when stored.
I have only had to sign the poisons book for Grammoxone which is very
poisonous.
Best Wishes Brian 'flayb' to reply.

Old 25-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Martin Brown

In message , Judith Lea
writes
In article , Judith Lea
writes

Thank you to everyone - it has got into my shrubbery and flower beds
from the field next door - would adding washing up fluid help the
Roundup to stick to the plant?

No. It already contains a more powerful wetting agent than that.
Bruising the stems helps get past the silica surface barrier.

There is some mileage in using a gel formulation for this application
(or though it is unlicensed use, adding some wallpaper paste to it for
spot weeding).

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old 25-05-2004, 11:24 PM
roger

i have an allotment full of it. the best things which help
break it underfoot then sponge on.
just keep hoeing
but the best is to get hold of it a pull upwards and some root will also
come. i have found to work with it. plant peas and use the stuff to grow
under the peas. this keeps them moist

good luck
roger
"Judith Lea" wrote in message
Help, I have sprayed twice with Roundup - it is becoming very invasive -
any suggestions?
--
Judith Lea

Old 26-05-2004, 01:18 AM
ned

Judith Lea wrote:
In article , Judith Lea
writes

Thank you to everyone - it has got into my shrubbery and flower beds
from the field next door - would adding washing up fluid help the
Roundup to stick to the plant?

In my experience, ........ Yes.
I had it forcing its way through that 'weed preventing' fabric and
coming up between paving slabs.
Sprayed it (with washing up liquid added) and left it to go brown.
There was a bit of regrowth, so repeated the treatment and it hasn't
come back. That was three years ago.

--
ned
http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk

Old 26-05-2004, 03:07 PM
martin

On Tue, 25 May 2004 21:45:39 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

Marestail is ineradicable. I fought it for 11 years in one garden
without winning.

How come it hasn't taken over the whole world? :-)

Because we had reached a dynamic equilibrium. {:-)

We seem to be out of balance at the moment :-)
Old 26-05-2004, 03:08 PM
martin

On Tue, 25 May 2004 23:01:42 +0100, "roger"
wrote:

i have an allotment full of it. the best things which help
break it underfoot then sponge on.
just keep hoeing
but the best is to get hold of it a pull upwards and some root will also
come. i have found to work with it. plant peas and use the stuff to grow
under the peas. this keeps them moist

Probably the best solution would be to cultivate it. Within weeks
unknown parasites viruses etc would destroy the whole crop.
Old 27-05-2004, 11:22 AM
Judith Lea

In article , martin
writes

Thank you everyone, I will now use all of the methods suggested.

Old 27-05-2004, 03:38 PM
RichardS

"Brian" wrote in message

"martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 May 2004 18:23:12 +0100, "Brian"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .
On 24 May 2004 13:17:35 GMT, emon (Rhiannon S)

Subject: mares tail
From: Judith Lea

Date: 24/05/2004 14:08 GMT Daylight Time
Help, I have sprayed twice with Roundup - it is becoming very

invasive -
any suggestions?

snip

As suggested, the external tissue is practically proof against

absorption.
There are silicates involved and these will not dissolve.
To bruise the stems, is the best idea, prior to Roundup as some will

then
be taken in. Very little absorption is needed for a kill. Give three

weeks
between applications.
There is a Roundup advisory service that would be able to help. They

might
suggest some additive that will slow down or stop the 'run off'
Good Luck Brian.

Have you actually succeeded in getting rid of mares tails this way,
Brian?

Our neighbouring farm had this as a major local problem covering a field
edge that must have exceeded 2 acres in total.
He used heavy duty ring-rollers before agricultural Roundup [there does
seem to be a difference as I have used both]. The problem was minimal the
next year but had apparently been treated further as the ground was clear

of
crops.
I visited once more, about three years later and saw none left/obvious. I
didn't make further enquiries.
Many years before that I found a small [3 stems]group on my own land and
used SBK as I was spraying brambles nearby. I don't remember seeing it
again~~ but it had probably not got a good foothold.
You mentioned depth of roots.~~ Near Hertford, there was a new sandpit
opened and was quickly about twenty feet deep. On the vertical edges roots
could be seen at, and more than, 12'. But then it was pure soft sand~~
perhaps not so deep elsewhere.
Brian.

Reading all this, I wonder whether there is merit in crushing/bruising a
couple of stems and then using the technique of putting it in a plastic bag
with 1/2 strength roundup, as others have posted success stories with this
when dealing with bindweed. Or even just crushing then spraying a couple of
times with dilute roundup.

I presume that they are all linked by a large root system, and not
individual plants?

We have difficulty with mares tail/horses tail on a few of the allotment
plots near to the river bank. The non-plot land affected is covered mostly
with black plastic as a means of controlling it.

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

mares tail Karin United Kingdom 76 15-02-2004 01:23 PM
mares tail [OT] Tom Bennett United Kingdom 0 11-02-2004 04:48 AM
mares tail , horse tail David Hill United Kingdom 0 01-02-2004 11:20 PM
Mares tail Ed Gardening 10 25-08-2003 03:32 PM
mares tail hendo2002 United Kingdom 4 26-06-2003 09:44 AM