Old 24-05-2004, 03:08 PM
Judith Lea

Default mares tail

Help, I have sprayed twice with Roundup - it is becoming very invasive -
any suggestions?
--
Judith Lea
Old 24-05-2004, 08:06 PM
Derek Moody

On Mon, 24 May 2004 17:58:57 +0100, Malcolm
wrote:

In article , Rhiannon S
writes
Subject: mares tail
From: Judith Lea
Date: 24/05/2004 14:08 GMT Daylight Time
Help, I have sprayed twice with Roundup - it is becoming very invasive -
any suggestions?

Move house?

Ok, on a slightly more practical note then, mares tail is almost impossible to
kill and doesn't absorb roundup like most plants (I'm sure someone here will be
able to give the scientific explanation for this).

It (though note I prefer the name horsetail, reserving the name mares
tail for the harmless plant Hippuris vulgaris)

Then you'll be alone in that. Nothing new there!!!!!

has a coating of silica
on its leaves and stems. This needs to be crushed in order for the
roundup to penetrate. If you have considerable areas of it, then
trampling or swiping will break and bruise it sufficiently. If it is
just single stems, perhaps growing among other plants, then don rubber
gloves and rub the stem between your hands and then spray it.

What a complete load of cobblers.

The only way to reduce mares tail is to keep digging it up, you'll never get
rid of it, but if you keep at it, an hour or so a day, you reduce it's
visibility.

I believe roots have been found several (?12) feet down :-(

It's been said before. The ONLY way is to dig, dig and ****ing dig
again.

Cheerio.
..

************************************************** ***********************************
Yes, madam, I am drunk. But in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
- Sir Winston Churchill

The Eagle Has Landed.

/T /I
/ |/ | .-~/
T\ Y I |/ / _
/T | \I | I Y.-~/
I l /I T\ | | l | T /
T\ | \ Y l /T | \I l \ ` l Y
__ | \l \l \I l __l l \ ` _. |
\ ~-l `\ `\ \ \\ ~\ \ `. .-~ |
\ ~-. "-. ` \ ^._ ^. "-. / \ |
.--~-._ ~- ` _ ~-_.-"-." ._ /._ ." ./
--. ~-. ._ ~-" "\\ 7 7 ]

^.___~"--._ ~-{ .-~ . `\ Y . / |
__ ~"-. ~ /_/ \ \I Y : |
^-.__ ~(_/ \ ._: | l______
^--.,___.-~" /_/ ! `-.~"--l_ / ~"-.
(_/ . ~( /' "~"--,Y -=b-. _)
(_/ . \ : / l c"~o \
\ / `. . .^ \_.-~"~--. )
(_/ . ` / / ! )/
/ / _. '. .': / '
~(_/ . / _ ` .-_
/_/ . ' .-~" `. / \ \ ,z=.
~( / ' : | K "-.~-.______//
"-,. l I/ \_ __{---._(==.
//( \ ~"~" //
/' /\ \ \ ,v=. ((
.^. / /\ " }__ //===- ` Roy!/ASC
/ / ' ' "-.,__ {---(==-
.^ ' : T ~" ll
/ . . . : | :! \\
(_/ / | | j-" ~^

So, you dont like reasoned,
well thought out, civil debate?

I understand.

/´¯/)
/¯../
/..../
/´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
/'/.../..../......./¨¯\
('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
\.................'...../
''...\.......... _.·´
\..............(
\.............\..

GOOD SIGS wanted. APPLY WITHIN.

Please Note: I am not the forger-troll Derek Moody who posts with

and who continues to stalk me, ensuring he is at the top of my hit list
and who also published child porn websites and kinky sex outlets in the UK, not to mention deviant holidays.

You've not heard of the Geneva Convention, then?

Our enemies sure haven't.

Old 24-05-2004, 08:07 PM
Derek Moody

On Mon, 24 May 2004 18:23:12 +0100, "Brian"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .
On 24 May 2004 13:17:35 GMT, emon (Rhiannon S)

From: Judith Lea

Date: 24/05/2004 14:08 GMT Daylight Time
Help, I have sprayed twice with Roundup - it is becoming very invasive -
any suggestions?

Move house?

Ok, on a slightly more practical note then, mares tail is almost

impossible to
kill and doesn't absorb roundup like most plants

Somebody, Franz?, said that if you trample on the part above the
surface first then the mares tails will absorb Roundup

(I'm sure someone here will be
able to give the scientific explanation for this).

It's got a waxy surface that repels liquids.

The only way to reduce mares tail is to keep digging it up, you'll never

get
rid of it, but if you keep at it, an hour or so a day, you reduce it's
visibility.

forever? :-((

As suggested, the external tissue is practically proof against absorption.
There are silicates involved and these will not dissolve.
To bruise the stems, is the best idea, prior to Roundup as some will then
be taken in. Very little absorption is needed for a kill. Give three weeks
between applications.
There is a Roundup advisory service that would be able to help. They might
suggest some additive that will slow down or stop the 'run off'
Good Luck Brian.

Roundup is highly toxic, dangerous and completely unnecessary, not to
mention the fact it simply doesn't work. There is no substitute for
hard work and just digging the weeds out. The fact that there are
plenty of stupid fat people willing to pay through the nose for
something that doesn't work, wont make it right.

No gardener worth their salt would be seen dead using such rubbish.

Cheerio.
..

************************************************** ***********************************

Old 24-05-2004, 09:36 PM
martin

On Mon, 24 May 2004 18:23:12 +0100, "Brian"
wrote:

.. .

From: Judith Lea

Date: 24/05/2004 14:08 GMT Daylight Time
[...]

Have you actually succeeded in getting rid of mares tails this way,
Brian?
Old 24-05-2004, 09:56 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , Derek Moody
URL:mailto
Nothing at all. Pete the troll is still forging posts in my name.

It is safe to assume that whatever he says is either malicious or just plain
wrong as his only desire is to start an argument.

Cheerio,

Old 24-05-2004, 09:57 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , Derek Moody
URL:mailto
Nothing at all. Pete the troll is forhing my name again. Assume that
anything he writes is garbage.

For example:
Roundup is highly toxic, dangerous and completely unnecessary, not to

It is in fact one of the safest herbicides available. The reps used to
drink it to demonstrate its safety - though since generic versions have been
on the market and the potential profits are now very low they seem to have
given up as the flavour is not a great selling point.

Cheerio,

Old 24-05-2004, 11:24 PM
Brian

"martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 May 2004 18:23:12 +0100, "Brian"
wrote:

.. .

From: Judith Lea

Date: 24/05/2004 14:08 GMT Daylight Time
[...]

Our neighbouring farm had this as a major local problem covering a field
edge that must have exceeded 2 acres in total.
He used heavy duty ring-rollers before agricultural Roundup [there does
seem to be a difference as I have used both]. The problem was minimal the
next year but had apparently been treated further as the ground was clear of
crops.
I visited once more, about three years later and saw none left/obvious. I
didn't make further enquiries.
Many years before that I found a small [3 stems]group on my own land and
used SBK as I was spraying brambles nearby. I don't remember seeing it
again~~ but it had probably not got a good foothold.
You mentioned depth of roots.~~ Near Hertford, there was a new sandpit
opened and was quickly about twenty feet deep. On the vertical edges roots
could be seen at, and more than, 12'. But then it was pure soft sand~~
perhaps not so deep elsewhere.
Brian.

Old 24-05-2004, 11:25 PM
martin

On Mon, 24 May 2004 22:38:54 +0100, "Brian"
wrote:

You mentioned depth of roots.~~ Near Hertford, there was a new sandpit
opened and was quickly about twenty feet deep. On the vertical edges roots
could be seen at, and more than, 12'. But then it was pure soft sand~~
perhaps not so deep elsewhere.

It's pure soft sand in these parts :-(((
--
Martin
Old 24-05-2004, 11:27 PM
Bob Hobden

"martin" wrote in message

How come it hasn't taken over the whole world? :-)

Well we have it on our allotments, and have had from the start. I've noticed
it seems to spread in a wave, the front of which is of very thick lush
growth and behind that it gets less and less. Probably uses up most of the
nutrients it needs and then tails off. Seen the same initial lushness and
then the tailing off on a railway line near here.
We simply hoe it off as soon as we see it, a constant battle every season,
but it is getting less and less each year.
Don't know what I would do about it if it got into my garden amongst my
plants where I can't hoe.

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

mares tail Karin United Kingdom 76 15-02-2004 01:23 PM
mares tail [OT] Tom Bennett United Kingdom 0 11-02-2004 04:48 AM
mares tail , horse tail David Hill United Kingdom 0 01-02-2004 11:20 PM
Mares tail Ed Gardening 10 25-08-2003 03:32 PM
mares tail hendo2002 United Kingdom 4 26-06-2003 09:44 AM