Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-06-2004, 09:38 AM
Sharon Hughes

Default Inner City - Courtyard Gardening - Infestation of Vine Weevil

Dear All

I am seeking some advice please. I've done a quick search on this group but
cannot immediately identify the FAQs file - any pointers in the right
direction would be much appreciated as I have a feeling that my questions
will have been covered before.

Vine Weevil. Got the blighters back again, my second year in the garden and
the 2nd year they're back. Last year I picked up some std vine weevil
killer from the garden centre and duly drenched pots (at the time no
borders) twice, early summer and Oct time. This year, lots more work done
and I now have raised beds AND the same amount of pots. I spotted the
adults about 3-4 weeks ago (pale walls which they show up lovely on!) and
have dealt with the obvious ones. I went onto the internet tonight to check
up on other 'killers' available and found that one product has been removed
from the market - one which I remember as being so much cheaper than the
tiny little pots I bought at the garden centre last year.

I have around 50 pots, varying sizes (most around 12 " on average), raised
beds (each around 8
ft long x 3 ft high). How the heck do I drench this lot to kill the beetles
without it costing the arm and leg I'm already missing? Obviously it's
going to cost me more to replace the plants I've already bought if I let it
go, but it's a close call buying teeny pots at £4.99-£5.99 which treats such
a tiny area at a time. I'm doing the vigilant thing by keep moving the pots
around to get the slugs and beetles first thing in the morning but have
stopped short (yet) of torchlight. (Done it before with slugs in the last
place - done away with slug pellets by enticing in hedgehogs with a certain
brand of cat food, a certain other foodstore's own make didn't quite cut the
crust unfortunately!!)

I really want this garden to work, it's so important to me, but not at the
expense of a re-occurring cost that is going to break me and take away the
joy I have with making such a lovely oasis in the middle of inner-city
dwelling. Perhaps I'm just being naive, and that's why the garden was SO
bare of anything even remotely green when I moved in? I need to find a way
of making this work. All help appreciated.

Sharon

inner city vineyard - what do you think? Frank Edible Gardening 9 24-08-2011 06:25 AM
Inner city birds JennyC United Kingdom 9 10-03-2010 11:20 AM
Raised Gardens used for inner city roof tops or paved surfaces Harold[_2_] Gardening 0 28-03-2007 11:05 AM
Inner city vegetable garden - health Cynthia Australia 10 27-03-2007 01:49 PM
camelias etc struggling in inner city planter box. CrumpetHead Australia 2 23-02-2005 09:30 PM