Old 11-06-2004, 02:04 PM
denis glover

Default soap spray

Hi all,
I've only recently started subscribing to this newsgroup so forgive me
if this has been answered before.I've noticed reference to soap spray for
aphids. Can you tell me what strength it should be, what can it be used
against and what can it be used on (Veg and plants)

Thanks,
Denis

Old 11-06-2004, 02:04 PM
martin

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:16:30 +0100, "denis glover"
wrote:

Hi all,
I've only recently started subscribing to this newsgroup so forgive me
if this has been answered before.I've noticed reference to soap spray for
aphids. Can you tell me what strength it should be, what can it be used
against and what can it be used on (Veg and plants)

Normal washing up liquid, at washing up strength, wiped out my aphids.
Old 11-06-2004, 02:04 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
martin writes:
| On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:16:30 +0100, "denis glover"
| wrote:
|
| I've only recently started subscribing to this newsgroup so forgive me
| if this has been answered before.I've noticed reference to soap spray for
| aphids. Can you tell me what strength it should be, what can it be used
| against and what can it be used on (Veg and plants)
|
| Normal washing up liquid, at washing up strength, wiped out my aphids.

I suspect that a bit stronger would be better, and a squirt of meths
is supposed to help. I use Savona, which is a liquid horticultural
soap, obtainable from Green Gardener and Tuckers. At the recommended
strength, it can be used to drench plants, and deals with mealybug,
aphid and red spider mite very well. Yes, they come back, but you
can spray pretty often (unlike with the systemics). And, rather more
dilute, it is good for washing down the conservatory.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-06-2004, 04:09 PM
Brian Watson

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
martin writes:
| On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:16:30 +0100, "denis glover"
| wrote:
|
| I've only recently started subscribing to this newsgroup so

forgive me
| if this has been answered before.I've noticed reference to soap spray

for
| aphids. Can you tell me what strength it should be, what can it be

used
| against and what can it be used on (Veg and plants)
|
| Normal washing up liquid, at washing up strength, wiped out my aphids.

I suspect that a bit stronger would be better, and a squirt of meths
is supposed to help.

Meths is good for getting at anything with a hairy covering, spiders nests
for example.

Other than that, I go along with the "washing up water strength"
recommendation.

It doesn't have to be too precise.

--
Brian
"When all about you is crumbling, when the arse is falling out of your

Old 11-06-2004, 05:06 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Brian Watson" writes:

| Other than that, I go along with the "washing up water strength"
| recommendation.
|
| It doesn't have to be too precise.

That is another great advantage of the soft soap and washing up
liquid approaches. You CAN overdo it, but you have to work
pretty hard at doing so. And, if it didn't work the first time,
try it again a bit stronger.

Yes, a few plants scorch.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 12-06-2004, 07:10 PM
Pam Moore

wrote:

I've only recently started subscribing to this newsgroup so forgive me
if this has been answered before.I've noticed reference to soap spray for
aphids. Can you tell me what strength it should be, what can it be used
against and what can it be used on (Veg and plants)

I noticed on GW last evening that Monty Don used an Organic spray
which he said was based on rape seed oil. I have a bottle with a
similar label and all I could find on the label was "based on natural
fatty acids".
Bob Flowerdew once said on GQT that you should not use detergent based
washing up liquid. Pippa Greenwood said that as a child she used to
mix up Lux flakes for her father. I cannot find Lux in the
supermarkets now. I bought a bar of green Fairy soap with the
intention of grating some into water and using that as a spray. I
haven't tried it yet.

Pam in Bristol
Old 13-06-2004, 11:06 AM
Chris Hogg

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 18:26:25 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

I noticed on GW last evening that Monty Don used an Organic spray
which he said was based on rape seed oil. I have a bottle with a
similar label and all I could find on the label was "based on natural
fatty acids".
Bob Flowerdew once said on GQT that you should not use detergent based
washing up liquid. Pippa Greenwood said that as a child she used to
mix up Lux flakes for her father. I cannot find Lux in the
supermarkets now. I bought a bar of green Fairy soap with the
intention of grating some into water and using that as a spray. I
haven't tried it yet.

Pam in Bristol

Most seed oils (e.g. rapeseed, olive, sunflower, safflower etc)
contain what are technically described as 'fatty acids' (treating them
with caustic soda is how soap is made). AIUI these 'organic'
insecticides are little more than stable emulsions of one or several
oils in water, so they're all pretty much the same in that respect.
You could probably make your own from cooking oil of your choice,
water and a squirt of detergent, all whizzed up in a blender for a few
minutes. They may be OK for use outdoors, but don't be tempted to use
them either in a conservatory or indoors. You get a film of oil
everywhere, which takes much washing down to get rid of. BTDT :-(

--
Chris

Old 13-06-2004, 01:06 PM
Pam Moore

Monty also said on GW on Friday last that you can boil up a rhubarb
leaf and use the resulting liquid, diluted, as an insecticide.
I hope the BBC don't get into trouble with the EU or whatever, as I
understand it is not legal to make your own!

Pam in Bristol
Old 13-06-2004, 01:12 PM
martin

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 12:14:08 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

Monty also said on GW on Friday last that you can boil up a rhubarb
leaf and use the resulting liquid, diluted, as an insecticide.
I hope the BBC don't get into trouble with the EU or whatever, as I
understand it is not legal to make your own!

In fact it's UK officials, who enforce EU directives that have been
incorporated in UK law. In general these officials seem to be a lot
more enthusiastic about enforcement, than their opposite numbers in
mainland Europe. In addition the UK legislation often includes more
than the original directive.
Old 15-06-2004, 12:06 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Monty also said on GW on Friday last that you can boil up a rhubarb
leaf and use the resulting liquid, diluted, as an insecticide.
I hope the BBC don't get into trouble with the EU or whatever, as I
understand it is not legal to make your own!

Probably O.K. to make a DIY foliar feed with 'unexpected' side affects ;-)

Old 15-06-2004, 09:12 PM
Martin Brown

In message , David W.E. Roberts
writes

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
.. .
Monty also said on GW on Friday last that you can boil up a rhubarb
leaf and use the resulting liquid, diluted, as an insecticide.
I hope the BBC don't get into trouble with the EU or whatever, as I
understand it is not legal to make your own!

Probably O.K. to make a DIY foliar feed with 'unexpected' side affects ;-)

Be aware that the oxalic acid and oxalates extracted from rhubarb leaves
are fairly acidic and potentially quite poisonous if ingested. This is
the sort of dodgy kitchen sink chemistry that really should not be
encouraged.

The recommended safe airborne TLV for the simple chemical oxalic acid is
only 2x higher than that for the synthetic weedkillers paraquat and
diquat (both nasty chemicals).

Natural poisons are not safe. Nature is red in tooth and claw.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown