Old 13-06-2004, 07:09 PM
Sarah Dale

Default Getting Chillies to flower and fruit?

Hi All,

Hope you can help. I've got 3 chilli plants that are 1 yr old because I
overwintered them. They didn't fruit last year - they were late
germinating, and then got starved towards the end of the summer. I've had
ONE chilli from them this year (scotch bonnet BTW).

I've recently repotted them into fresh compost and larger pots. What can I
do to pursuade them to flower? They are presently in the conservatory (I
don't have a greenhouse) which is S. facing and gets very hot (I do shade
it). They could go out on to the S. facing patio.

I would like a crop from these plants! The bell peppers which have been in
exactly the same situation have had far more flowers and a crop of sorts.

TIA,

Sarah
Old 13-06-2004, 09:04 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sarah Dale wrote:
Hi All,

Hope you can help. I've got 3 chilli plants that are 1 yr old because I
overwintered them. They didn't fruit last year - they were late
germinating, and then got starved towards the end of the summer. I've had
ONE chilli from them this year (scotch bonnet BTW).

I've recently repotted them into fresh compost and larger pots. What can I
do to pursuade them to flower? They are presently in the conservatory (I
don't have a greenhouse) which is S. facing and gets very hot (I do shade
it). They could go out on to the S. facing patio.

I would like a crop from these plants! The bell peppers which have been in
exactly the same situation have had far more flowers and a crop of sorts.

DON'T fertilise them with high-nitrate fertilisers, and don't
worry too much if they dry out slightly. Otherwise, I have never
had trouble.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-06-2004, 12:23 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay contains these words:
In article , Sarah Dale
writes

The plants are looking healthy but just NOT flowering...... unlike the
pepper plants which are *grrr* it's SO frustrating. I shall have to start
making death threats to the plants and see if that does the trick or maybe
I should try sweet talking first.....

Mine aren't flowering either - you're not alone.

My (second year) ones are flowering.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 26-06-2004, 01:02 AM
Bob Smith

"Sarah Dale" wrote in message
Hi All,

Hope you can help. I've got 3 chilli plants that are 1 yr old because I
overwintered them. They didn't fruit last year - they were late
germinating, and then got starved towards the end of the summer. I've had
ONE chilli from them this year (scotch bonnet BTW).

I've recently repotted them into fresh compost and larger pots. What can I
do to pursuade them to flower? They are presently in the conservatory (I
don't have a greenhouse) which is S. facing and gets very hot (I do shade
it). They could go out on to the S. facing patio.

I would like a crop from these plants! The bell peppers which have been in
exactly the same situation have had far more flowers and a crop of sorts.

TIA,

Sarah

I have some late planted ones (the first lot did not germinate). Don't
think I will get anything off them this year.

How do you overwinter them? Do the leaves die off, so you can store them in
the shed when they have turned into sticks? I used this method on some
fuschias. Might try with geraniums this year too.

Bob

Old 26-06-2004, 01:08 AM
Amber Ormerod

"Bob Smith" wrote in message

"Sarah Dale" wrote in message
[...]

Silly question, but the growers in the south grow in poly tunnels, so how do
they over winter them?