Old 27-05-2005, 06:59 PM
Klara

Default black spots on chillies and aubergines

My daughter says she has black spots on her chili and aubergine plants.
Is this the same sort of thing as potato blight? What can she do about
it - preferably organically? (Being very allergic to aubergines, I have
no experience with growing them.)

thanks...
--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 29-05-2005, 11:45 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Klara wrote:
My daughter says she has black spots on her chili and aubergine
plants. Is this the same sort of thing as potato blight? What can she
do about it - preferably organically? (Being very allergic to
aubergines, I have no experience with growing them.)

thanks...

As you've no responses thus far, I thought I might hazard a guess. Chillies
are capsicums (capsica?) and, as you have correctly guessed, aubergines
belong to the same family as the potato (solarnum - commonly known as the
deadly nightshade family, which also includes the tomato). Therefore, unless
someone corrects me, I would assume that the blotches do not share a common
cause. Unless I'm corrected, I would treat the aubergine as for potato
blight (instructions from the RHS can be found here
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...ato_blight.asp). I do not know
anything about chillies so cannot advise here.

Incidentally, aubergines are poisonous if consumed young (in fact, in ye
olden dayes, it was known as the "mad apple" or "raging apple" because the
poison (solanine) was said to induce lunacy). However, a fully mature
aubergine should be 100% safe for human (and anything else's) consumption
but, maybe, there's a tiny, miniscule amount of solanine left and this is
what you're susceptible to.

Tomatoes, incidentally, were known as "love apples" (no I don't know why,
either - neither is related to the apple in any way, shape or form - OK,
tomatoes are also vaguely spherical, but that's about the only similarity)

Anyway, unless anyone else can tell you otherwise, I would treat as for
potato blight.

Warmest wishes,

Sarah

The above was written by an amateur gardener who has gleaned all her
knowledge from /Gardener's World/ and any suggestions, or advice, contained
therein should be checked with a reliable source before implemetation and,
even then, should be actioned at your own risk.

Old 29-05-2005, 04:26 PM
Klara

In message , Miss
Perspicacia Tick writes
[...]

Thanks, Sarah,

I wonder whether in the case of just a few pots (she has now found
similar spots on a tomato plant) the answer this early in the summer is
to throw everything away, scrub the pots, and start over?

My poor daughter: has been longing to grow things while living in a
flat, now, at last, their first (if rented) house, first garden, whee!!!

....And then most things develop what looks like blight, everything else
is covered in greenfly...

:-{{{

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 29-05-2005, 07:10 PM
Kay

In article , Miss
Perspicacia Tick writes
Klara wrote:
My daughter says she has black spots on her chili and aubergine
plants. Is this the same sort of thing as potato blight? What can she
do about it - preferably organically? (Being very allergic to
aubergines, I have no experience with growing them.)

thanks...

As you've no responses thus far, I thought I might hazard a guess. Chillies
are capsicums (capsica?) and, as you have correctly guessed, aubergines
belong to the same family as the potato (solarnum

solanum

- commonly known as the
deadly nightshade family, which also includes the tomato). Therefore, unless
someone corrects me, I would assume that the blotches do not share a common
cause.

Except, of course, that capsicums are also in Solanaceae

--
Kay

Old 29-05-2005, 11:10 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Kay wrote:
In article , Miss
Perspicacia Tick writes
Klara wrote:
My daughter says she has black spots on her chili and aubergine
plants. Is this the same sort of thing as potato blight? What can
she do about it - preferably organically? (Being very allergic to
aubergines, I have no experience with growing them.)

thanks...

As you've no responses thus far, I thought I might hazard a guess.
Chillies are capsicums (capsica?) and, as you have correctly
guessed, aubergines belong to the same family as the potato (solarnum

solanum

It was a typo (well that's my story and I'm sticking to it! ;o))

- commonly known as the
deadly nightshade family, which also includes the tomato).
Therefore, unless someone corrects me, I would assume that the
blotches do not share a common cause.

Except, of course, that capsicums are also in Solanaceae

Damn you, Kay, you weren't supposed to spot the deliberate mistake! ;o) I
did sort of know that, but wasn't sure - looks like it's universal then.

Sarah

Old 29-05-2005, 11:44 PM
Warwick

Klara wrote:

In message , Miss
Perspicacia Tick writes
[...]

I'd hang on. My Chillisand bell peppers have black spots all over the stems
and I was worried about it when it happened the first year. They don't die
and they fruit fine. I've never grown aubergine so can't comment.

...And then most things develop what looks like blight, everything else
is covered in greenfly...

Smudge the greenfly off with a finger and give them a blitz with lightly
soaped water.

Warwick
Old 30-05-2005, 09:19 AM
Kay

In article , Miss
Perspicacia Tick writes
Kay wrote:

Except, of course, that capsicums are also in Solanaceae

Damn you, Kay, you weren't supposed to spot the deliberate mistake! ;o) I
did sort of know that, but wasn't sure - looks like it's universal then.

You made me doubt my own knowledge! I double checked before posting ;-)
--
Kay

Old 30-05-2005, 04:23 PM
Klara

In message , Warwick
writes
I wonder whether in the case of just a few pots (she has now found
similar spots on a tomato plant) the answer this early in the summer is
to throw everything away, scrub the pots, and start over?

I'd hang on. My Chillisand bell peppers have black spots all over the
stems and I was worried about it when it happened the first year. They
don't die and they fruit fine. I've never grown aubergine so can't
comment.

...And then most things develop what looks like blight, everything else
is covered in greenfly...

Smudge the greenfly off with a finger and give them a blitz with
lightly soaped water.

Thanks, that's promising about the chillis; I suppose if they're not
going to survive they'll just collapse soon, otherwise it's ok...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 30-05-2005, 04:24 PM
Klara

In message , Kay
writes
In article , Miss
Perspicacia Tick writes
Kay wrote:

Except, of course, that capsicums are also in Solanaceae

Damn you, Kay, you weren't supposed to spot the deliberate mistake! ;o) I
did sort of know that, but wasn't sure - looks like it's universal then.

You made me doubt my own knowledge! I double checked before posting ;-)

So the potato blight advice holds true for everything...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 31-05-2005, 03:40 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Klara wrote:
In message , Kay
writes
In article , Miss
Perspicacia Tick writes
Kay wrote:

Except, of course, that capsicums are also in Solanaceae

Damn you, Kay, you weren't supposed to spot the deliberate mistake!
;o) I did sort of know that, but wasn't sure - looks like it's
universal then.

You made me doubt my own knowledge! I double checked before posting
;-)

So the potato blight advice holds true for everything...

It would appear so, yes...

Sarah

Old 31-05-2005, 03:41 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Kay wrote:
In article , Miss
Perspicacia Tick writes
Kay wrote:

Except, of course, that capsicums are also in Solanaceae

Damn you, Kay, you weren't supposed to spot the deliberate mistake!
;o) I did sort of know that, but wasn't sure - looks like it's
universal then.

You made me doubt my own knowledge! I double checked before posting
;-)

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA my evil plan worked... ;o)

Sarah

Aubergines Janice United Kingdom 8 16-09-2003 05:23 PM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk ssspp Unique Too Roses 7 16-05-2003 04:08 AM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk ssspppOOOTTTSSSS!!!!!! Roger Roses 6 12-05-2003 10:56 PM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk Radika Kesavan Roses 0 11-05-2003 04:44 PM
Aubergines Jon United Kingdom 2 09-04-2003 09:56 PM