Old 29-06-2004, 12:07 PM
JK

Default Lawn on a roof terrace?

Is it possible to lay a lawn on a roof terrace? How would one do it? I
imagine drainage would be an issue, but maybe there's a way round it.

Thanks,

John

Old 29-06-2004, 04:08 PM
Bob Hobden

"JK" wrote in message
Is it possible to lay a lawn on a roof terrace? How would one do it? I
imagine drainage would be an issue, but maybe there's a way round it.

Do an internet search on "green roofs", lots of details there, it's very
popular on the continent for new buildings and will get more so here idc.
Less long-term environmental damage.

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Old 29-06-2004, 06:12 PM
Martin Heames

It is very possible to lay turf on a terrace if you look at the pic at the
bottom of the page at this address http://www.celtic-manor.com/ you will
see one that I constructed and still maintain.

I don't think you want one that large lol but what you need to think about
is drainage and waterproofing of the structure below, however the biggest
issue is weight.

The drainage and weight issue can be resolved by using a ballast layer. we
used a substance called Vencil recycled expanding polystyrene it's like 20cm
small round volcanic rocks it works great I get good drainage over the whole
area. next place a soil separator over the ballast this is actually a filter
fabric, we used Terram 1000 fabric.

Once the fabric is completly covering the ballast you can add the top soil.

Hope this helps
Martin Heames
www.thegardenspider.com

Old 29-06-2004, 09:05 PM
JK

Bob Hobden wrote:
"JK" wrote in message

Is it possible to lay a lawn on a roof terrace? How would one do it? I
imagine drainage would be an issue, but maybe there's a way round it.

Do an internet search on "green roofs", lots of details there, it's very
popular on the continent for new buildings and will get more so here idc.
Less long-term environmental damage.

That's interesting, but it all seems to be about having a green roof
that looks nice and is good for all sorts of reasons, but not one that
is covered in grass for walking aorund and having barbies on!

JK
Old 29-06-2004, 11:13 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"JK" wrote in message ...
Is it possible to lay a lawn on a roof terrace? How would one do it? I
imagine drainage would be an issue, but maybe there's a way round it.

No reason in theory why you can't do it.

All you need is a very large very shallow plant pot :-)

What you are likely to need:

(1) Report from a structural engineer stating that the terrace can support
the proposed load.

(2) A waterproof base (not just one that is O.K. when water falls on it and
runs off, but one that can cope with continuous wetness).

(3) Sides to contain the soil, with provision for drainage - small holes
around the base. I imagine you could line the whole thing with plastic or
butyl as long as you make holes in it for drainage.

(4) A reasonable depth of soil laid on gravel or similar to provide drainage
at the base. I have no idea how deep this should be but I would imagine at
least 6"-9" of soil to provide a resevoir for nutrients and water.

(5) Provision for regular watering - again just as you would need for other
container grown plants.

(6) A plan for cutting the lawn and disposing of the clippings - I guess you
would need a tool shed (or room) for the lawn mower etc.

Plenty of places have lawns on the roof. One notable example is the Willis
Faber (now Willis Caroon I think) big glass building in Ipswich. This has
won awards and featured on several documentaries.

The main issue you are likely to face is the structural strength needed to
support the soil and turf.

Another issue may be the depth of soil needed to prevent the lawn from
drying out and dieing - this will raise the level of your terrace and may
cause problems with access by preventing doors opening.

You should also be careful of raising the floor level to the point where the
terrace railings are below the height specified in building regulations -
assuming the lawn come to or near the edge of the terrace. Don't want people
falling over the edge and spilling their drinks :-)

HTH
Dave R

Old 29-06-2004, 11:13 PM
Bob Hobden

"JK" wrote in message after
Bob Hobden replied

Is it possible to lay a lawn on a roof terrace? How would one do it? I
imagine drainage would be an issue, but maybe there's a way round it.

Do an internet search on "green roofs", lots of details there, it's very
popular on the continent for new buildings and will get more so here

idc.
Less long-term environmental damage.

That's interesting, but it all seems to be about having a green roof
that looks nice and is good for all sorts of reasons, but not one that
is covered in grass for walking aorund and having barbies on!

Same principles apply but you would need to use hard wearing type grass turf
just as you would for a lawn for similar use.
Drainage shouldn't be a problem if it's not a problem on the terrace at the
moment, after all the grass will take up a lot of the moisture anyway.
I trust you have checked that the terrace can take the extra weight of all
the soil and grass especially when wet? And you will need to mow it, feed
it, care for it, just like any lawn.

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Old 30-06-2004, 10:23 PM
Mike Lyle

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message ...
"JK" wrote in message ...

[...]
The main issue you are likely to face is the structural strength needed to
support the soil and turf.

[...]

Just a quick environmentalist point. I'm all for as much greenery as
possible in built-up areas, but I couldn't in principle cheer for a
roof-top lawn in an area where the normal rainfall wasn't enough to
sustain it (rule of thumb guesstimate subject to correction from an
expert: anywhere east of the highland line?). We are hammering our
water-tables already, with bad consequences making themselves apparent
all over the country: I really don't think we can justify adding to
the demand just for an occasional bit of fun. So, if your project will
need tap-water, I have very sadly to vote against it; but if it will
be self-sustaining, I may even come and help with the hard work!

Mike.

Old 30-06-2004, 10:27 PM
Mike Lyle

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message ...
[...]
The main issue you are likely to face is the structural strength needed to
support the soil and turf.

[...]

I've just posted a warning note from a 'green' point of view. But it
occurred to me on the way to the loo that another solution might be to
cultivate an area of _moss_. This would be light in weight and have a
very low nutritional requirement; and would never need mowing (but
some weeding would be needed every now and then); it would rarely be
quite as green as grass, and by no means as hard-wearing, and would
come up against my water-consumption objection, but I can see it as
very attractive, and a zillion gardeners would leap at the chance to
offer you sacks of the raw material. You could stick spots of it on
with thin PVA glue mixed with a little compost and maybe milk, and let
it rip, just as you would if trying to age a garden rock in a hurry.

Can I come and try, please?

Mike.

Old 30-06-2004, 11:38 PM
Mike Lyle

[...]

summer planting ideas for top of terrace wall? davout United Kingdom 4 20-04-2006 07:58 AM
Silver birch in a pot on a Spanish terrace? bluesarija Gardening 0 04-09-2004 07:05 PM
size of terrace Mac United Kingdom 1 28-10-2003 01:43 PM
grapes on the terrace eric Edible Gardening 2 05-08-2003 04:17 AM
Grapes on the terrace eric Gardening 2 04-08-2003 01:02 PM