Old 30-06-2004, 09:06 AM
mike. buckley

Default Tomatoes - first year - problem?

Hello,

Need some advice for my Toms. This is the first year I've grown them and
I'm treating it very much as a learning exercise, which is probably a
good job.....
The plants (gardeners delight) are now about 3' high, and a couple of
them have hazelnut sized toms on. The problem is that a couple of them
have stopped growing normally. The leaves have gone leathery and curl
downwards back towards the stem, growth also seems to have slowed. I had
this earlier in the year and tried re-potting which seems to have
worked, those are showing normal growth again, but now different plants
are effected. I am feeding with Tom feed, once every 7 days as per
instructions. Am I seeing the results of using too small pots (7" i
think off the top of my head) and frankly, pretty shit weather, or is it
something else?

Thanks

--
Mike Buckley
RD350LC2
Old 30-06-2004, 09:07 AM
Paul D.Smith

Are you watering them regularly? Tomatoes drink like fish. I have 3 to a
grow back and water every couple of days. Even a heavy downpour doesn't put
much water into a 7 inch pot.

Paul DS.

Old 30-06-2004, 10:09 AM
Joanne

"mike. buckley" wrote in message
k...

Need some advice for my Toms. The problem is that a couple of them
have stopped growing normally. The leaves have gone leathery and curl
downwards back towards the stem, growth also seems to have slowed.

This website describes various tomato disorders, so it might have the
answer:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/t...ver/index.html

Old 30-06-2004, 11:04 AM
Derek Turner

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 08:37:33 +0100, "mike. buckley"
wrote:

I am feeding with Tom feed, once every 7 days as per
instructions. Am I seeing the results of using too small pots (7" i
think off the top of my head) and frankly, pretty shit weather, or is it
something else?

are you watering from the top or the bottom? if from the top then that
feed might be being washed through before it can do any good. If this
is not the case already, you should stand the pots in large trays with
a layer of gravel and water the trays (i.e. water from the bottom)
only apply feed to the pots (from the top).
Old 30-06-2004, 11:04 AM
mike. buckley

In message , Paul
D.Smith writes
Are you watering them regularly? Tomatoes drink like fish. I have 3 to a
grow back and water every couple of days. Even a heavy downpour doesn't put
much water into a 7 inch pot.

Paul DS.

Yes, they're getting lots of water I don't think that's the problem. The
only ones that have ever wilted slightly due to lack of water aren't
affected.

Old 30-06-2004, 12:09 PM
mike. buckley

In message , Derek Turner
writes
wrote:

I am feeding with Tom feed, once every 7 days as per
instructions. Am I seeing the results of using too small pots (7" i
think off the top of my head) and frankly, pretty shit weather, or is it
something else?

are you watering from the top or the bottom? if from the top then that
feed might be being washed through before it can do any good. If this
is not the case already, you should stand the pots in large trays with
a layer of gravel and water the trays (i.e. water from the bottom)
only apply feed to the pots (from the top).

OK, good tip, why the gravel though?

Old 30-06-2004, 02:03 PM
Derek Turner

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 11:41:41 +0100, "mike. buckley"
wrote:

OK, good tip, why the gravel though?

raises the humidity around the plants, I think, does that help
pollination? ne1?

Old 30-06-2004, 07:17 PM
Sue

wrote:

OK, good tip, why the gravel though?

raises the humidity around the plants, I think, does that help
pollination? ne1?

Yes it does help with pollination if humidity is raised. Also a good shake
can help too!

Sue

---

Old 30-06-2004, 10:23 PM
Jonny

wrote:

Hello,

Need some advice for my Toms. This is the first year I've grown them and
I'm treating it very much as a learning exercise, which is probably a
good job.....

snip
I find toms very perplexing. I have had and indeed do have the
symptoms you are describing and others for by. The end result though
always seems to be tomatoes, lots of 'em. It seems to me that they are
generally pretty hardy.
Regarding watering from the top or bottom as mentioned in another
reply, I always use a method I saw several years ago on TV by Alan
Titchmarsh. I am growing them in a bed in a greenhouse, rather than
pots, but grow bags would be the same. When I plant them from their
pots into the greenhouse I bury the pot into the soil beside the
plant. I fill the pot daily from the watering can, rather than
watering the plant itself. So the water, and indeed any feed, is going
to where it's needed, i.e. the roots.
Seems to work.
Regards
Jonny