Old 04-07-2004, 08:06 PM
mich

Default Stinging nettles?

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Bob Smith
writes
What do nettles taste like? I assume they must be realy good to want

them
in your garden.

Their flavour when cooked as a boiled vegetable is not unlike cabbage or
spinach, but that is only one of many reasons for wanting them in the
garden. I use them mainly for nettle infusion to be used as an insect
repellent, a plant tonic and a source of soil nutrients, and for organic
composting. They also can be used for making very good beers, wines,
teas and in salads or casseroles.

My paternal grandmother ( according to my father) always used them as a tea
to "clean the blood". She used a lot of weeds and nettles and knew herbal
medicine quite well apparently.

Usually used in spring after a poorer and stodgier diet of winter ( the old
lady was born in the 1870's - didnt have my father until she was 54 and
there was no test tube babies and the like back then)

Old 04-07-2004, 08:06 PM
M. Tiefert

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 17:52:38 +0100, Alan Gould
wrote:

In article , Klara
writes
And are, apparently, very good for you ... and your livestock. Found
this - though I don't know why Vermont, I didn't think stinging nettels
existed in the USA .

John Lust, writing in 'The Herb Book' says that stinging nettles are
found in U.S.A. in States Northwards from Colorado, Missouri and South
Carolina. Maybe the temperatures are too high for them South of that?

I had a half-garden-full of them in inland southern California (HOT
summers!) - in the spring, those that survived my hacking at them died in
the summer - but they came back every year.

cheers,

Marj
--
Mediterranean Garden Advice and Shop: http://stores.tiefert.com/garden/
Also: http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/...gardening.html

Old 04-07-2004, 08:06 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "Brian" contains these words:

Young nettles taste similar to spinach.

My Granny used to feed us cooked young nettletops every spring; they
contain iron and were a traditional rural spring "cleanser", for which
read vermifuge. She used to pick the tops with a firm grasp of her bare
hands, and didn't get stung. Writing this I can still remember the smell
of the fresh nettles on her hands. She said nettles old enough to sting,
were too old and tough to eat.

An old friend of mine still makes and eats a recipe for "Spring
Pudding", from Cumbria, which iirc contains young nettle tips, sheep
sorrel, and some other wild herb I've forgotten. I made it once, but
Granny's nettles are preferable :-)

They do need a good rich
soil to thrive. I always knew they had been used for their fibres but was
surprised to hear on the television this week that 1st World war knapsacks
were made from these fibres.

Last time I went to a farm show on the mainland, the WRI had the usual
demos of spun, woven and knitted wool and hair (everything from sheep to
rabbits cats and a dog), and woven fabric made from nettles. Nettle
fabric is much like linen made from flax, and the process is similar.

Janet.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:03 PM
Douglas

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , ChrisC ?@?.?
writes
Do stinging nettles seed? I would quite like to grow them for tea and
soup purposes. Or would it be advisable to go dig some up at the local
common?

Stinging nettles can be annuals or perennials but the more common type
seen is the perennial Urtica Dioica. They normally propagate themselves
naturally, but if you need to introduce them into your garden, that can
be done either by seeding in spring or by root division in any growing
season. Once they are established, they will re-grow each year and like
all other perennials, they will need to be controlled from spreading
more that you wish.

Though stinging nettles may seem very vigorous, they should not be cut
too hard or more often than three times annually, or they will cease to
thrive. Nettles are an excellent plant to have in the garden, they have
many culinary, medicinal and horticultural uses and their fibres are
used for making paper and linen. Have a look at the urg FAQ describing
nettle infusion at: http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/nettle.html
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs

******
For cooking for dinner either with or without cabbage, harvest and use only
the tips at the top.
Just nip them off with three or four leaves on. As children we used just our
bare fingers and never suffered any stinging. Boiled like cabbage nettles
have a distinct taste of their own which we found quite acceptable.
Doug.
******

Old 04-07-2004, 11:07 PM
Brian

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from "Brian" contains these words:

Young nettles taste similar to spinach.

My Granny used to feed us cooked young nettletops every spring; they
contain iron and were a traditional rural spring "cleanser

..

An old friend of mine still makes and eats a recipe for "Spring
Pudding", from Cumbria, which iirc contains young nettle tips, sheep
sorrel, and some other wild herb I've forgotten. I made it once, but
Granny's nettles are preferable :-)

Last time I went to a farm show on the mainland, the WRI had the usual
demos of spun, woven and knitted wool and hair (everything from sheep to
rabbits cats and a dog), and woven fabric made from nettles. Nettle
fabric is much like linen made from flax, and the process is similar.

Janet.

___________________-
Cumbrians do/did seem to make use of nettles. I remember a pub
that sold nettle beer in much the same way that Somerset pubs had Cider.The
beer tasted awful. I believe they still use nettles to cover their cheeses.
'Smells' do linger in one's memory. The smell of differing
'grownups' made them identifiable~~especially if they were known for
sweets!!.
More than anything was the smell of Cedar wood, in the kindergarten,
after I had butchered dozens of pencils in the sharpener. The back of my leg
stung but it was worth it!
Rain smelt different every season. Only hay seems to have the same
scent.
"Nostalgia isn't what it used to be"
Brian 'flayb' to respond.

Old 05-07-2004, 12:03 AM
Klara

In message opsamlkuvjadtv40@matservices, M. Tiefert
writes
John Lust, writing in 'The Herb Book' says that stinging nettles are
found in U.S.A. in States Northwards from Colorado, Missouri and South
Carolina. Maybe the temperatures are too high for them South of that?

I had a half-garden-full of them in inland southern California (HOT
summers!) - in the spring, those that survived my hacking at them died
in the summer - but they came back every year.

Amazing! Somehow I missed them even though I lived in the States for
years! Next, I'll probably find out that there is poison ivy here in the
UK!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 05-07-2004, 07:03 PM
M. Tiefert

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 23:08:44 +0100, Klara wrote:

In message opsamlkuvjadtv40@matservices, M. Tiefert
writes

I had a half-garden-full of them in inland southern California (HOT
summers!) - in the spring, those that survived my hacking at them died
in the summer - but they came back every year.

Amazing! Somehow I missed them even though I lived in the States for
years! Next, I'll probably find out that there is poison ivy here in the
UK!

They also live alongside streams in southeastern Ohio. I'm originally from
Ohio, and nobody there seemed to consider nettles to be non-native wild
plants. The ones in Ohio seemed somewhat milder than the nasties I had in
s. Calif - even the babies stung, so I had to be careful when walking
about the garden in sandals.

cheers,

Marj
Old 05-07-2004, 10:03 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "Brian" contains these words:

'Smells' do linger in one's memory. The smell of differing
'grownups' made them identifiable~~especially if they were known for
sweets!!.

My Granny's house was reached across a weed and water filled ditch.
Whenever we arrived, she was standing at the ditch waiting to greet us;
so for years and years I thought the ripe stagnant stink was her.

More than anything was the smell of Cedar wood, in the kindergarten,
after I had butchered dozens of pencils in the sharpener.

My kindergarten smelt of polish and boiled milk, when milk still had a
smell.

Janet.

Old 05-07-2004, 10:03 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Baraclough.. wrote:
The message
from "Brian" contains these words:

'Smells' do linger in one's memory. The smell of differing
'grownups' made them identifiable~~especially if they were known for
sweets!!.

More than anything was the smell of Cedar wood, in the kindergarten,
after I had butchered dozens of pencils in the sharpener.

My kindergarten smelt of polish and boiled milk, when milk still had a
smell.

I can still remember the smell and taste of Klim made up too weak.
While I don't wake up in the middle of the night, screaming, when I
do, you get the idea. Back in the days and society where 4 year
olds were whipped by the teacher, we had a demonstration over it.
"Pl,ease, miss, could you make it full strength?" I can still
remember the expression of utter shock on her face - but she did
it, and it was thereafter merely disgusting.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 05-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Eur Ing John Rye

Hello All

SNIP
My Granny used to feed us cooked young nettletops every spring; they
contain iron and were a traditional rural spring "cleanser", for which
read vermifuge. She used to pick the tops with a firm grasp of her bare
hands, and didn't get stung. Writing this I can still remember the smell
of the fresh nettles on her hands. She said nettles old enough to sting,
were too old and tough to eat.

SNIP
Janet.

I was taught as a young lad that one can catch hold of stinging nettles with
bare hands without getting stung PROVIDING you grab hold of them firmly. It
is brushing against them that stings you. I can confirm that it works (at
least for me !)

John

--
EurIng J Rye CEng FIEE Electrical Engineering Consultant
18 Wentworth Close Hadleigh IPSWICH IP7 5SA England

Old 06-07-2004, 03:02 AM
ned

"Eur Ing John Rye" wrote in message
Hello All

SNIP

I was taught as a young lad that one can catch hold of stinging

nettles with
bare hands without getting stung PROVIDING you grab hold of them

firmly. It
is brushing against them that stings you. I can confirm that it

works (at
least for me !)

I watched my grandfather pull nettles barehanded.
So, I lent a hand ...............
As he helped me find young Dock leaves to relieve the stinging, with a
smile in his eye, he pointed out the difference between 'stinging
nettles' and 'dead nettle'.
One lesson never forgotten!

--
ned