Old 13-07-2004, 05:03 AM
Ben Blackmore

Default Yellowing Leaves On Raspberry Bush

Hi,

I planted a small raspberry bush about 2 months ago, it seemed to be going
ok for the 1st month, however after a while the leaves started getting
yellow spots on, since then the spots have grown, and now some of the leaves
are totally yellow. The bush gets watered at least twice a week, with
growmore, and has occassional bone meal.
Is this yellowing due to over watering, or could it be a virus? Or maybe
something else?

Cheers

Ben

Old 13-07-2004, 11:08 AM
Ben Blackmore

Just went out and checked on the raspberry leaves, I don't think its a
virus, all the new leaves growing at the top are dark green, so they seem
ok, its just the leaves around the base.
If it was a virus surely it would spread to the new top leaves. I guess it
could be a fungle thing, or maybe just overwatering.

Any ideas?

Ben

Old 13-07-2004, 11:08 AM
Franz Heymann

"Ben Blackmore" wrote in message
Hi,

I planted a small raspberry bush about 2 months ago, it seemed to be

going
ok for the 1st month, however after a while the leaves started

getting
yellow spots on, since then the spots have grown, and now some of

the leaves
are totally yellow. The bush gets watered at least twice a week,

with
growmore, and has occassional bone meal.
Is this yellowing due to over watering, or could it be a virus? Or

maybe
something else?

What do you mean by "The bush gets watered at least twice a week, with
growmore,"?

Franz

Old 14-07-2004, 01:15 AM
Ben Blackmore

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

What do you mean by "The bush gets watered at least twice a week, with
growmore,"?

Franz

Well we got one of those hose adaptors, with the jug thing on it, that the
water circulates through then sprays out. Came with a blue packet of
growmore. So when its dry we water using that. Recently we haven't watered
at all, cause its been so wet what with all the rain etc

Old 14-07-2004, 02:16 AM
Franz Heymann

"Ben Blackmore" wrote in message
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

What do you mean by "The bush gets watered at least twice a week,

with
growmore,"?

Franz

Well we got one of those hose adaptors, with the jug thing on it,

that the
water circulates through then sprays out. Came with a blue packet of
growmore. So when its dry we water using that. Recently we haven't

watered
at all, cause its been so wet what with all the rain etc

Growmore is the name of a dirty white well balanced granular
fertiliser. Not all its components are equally soluble, so I wonder
what the effective mix is which comes out of your hose adapter. Why
not just strew Growmore at 1 small handful per square metre all over
the garden, once in early spring and once in mid-summer? It has
worked for generations when applied like that.

Franz

Old 14-07-2004, 02:21 AM
Ben Blackmore

Growmore is the name of a dirty white well balanced granular
fertiliser. Not all its components are equally soluble, so I wonder
what the effective mix is which comes out of your hose adapter. Why
not just strew Growmore at 1 small handful per square metre all over
the garden, once in early spring and once in mid-summer? It has
worked for generations when applied like that.

Franz

We did buy a big tub of the little white pelleted growmore from homebase and
spread someover, that was end april/start may time I think.
Even so, this doesn't explain the problem with the raspberry bush. I'm sure
its fed enough, maybe a little too much. Could it be overwatering, due to
all the rain we've had, Our soil is like solid clay, we've added compost and
stuff but it still gets water logged when it rains to much. Or could it
possibly be a virus/fungus?

Ben

Old 14-07-2004, 12:25 PM
Anna Kettle

We did buy a big tub of the little white pelleted growmore from homebase and
spread someover, that was end april/start may time I think.
Even so, this doesn't explain the problem with the raspberry bush. I'm sure
its fed enough, maybe a little too much. Could it be overwatering, due to
all the rain we've had, Our soil is like solid clay, we've added compost and
stuff but it still gets water logged when it rains to much. Or could it
possibly be a virus/fungus?

I think that you are feeding it too much. I fed my raspberry bushes
blood fish and bone in the spring and Miracle Gro once at the middle
of summer. This has produced healthy plants and a bumper crop.

The flavour wasn't up to much so I am wondering if I should try again
next year feeding with the contents of my compost heap or whether to
buy new plants

Whether overfeeding could cause the problems with your raspberry bush
I have no idea

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Plaster conservation and lime plaster repair
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
Old 15-07-2004, 01:41 PM
Sarah Dale

Ben Blackmore wrote:
Just went out and checked on the raspberry leaves, I don't think its a
virus, all the new leaves growing at the top are dark green, so they seem
ok, its just the leaves around the base.
If it was a virus surely it would spread to the new top leaves. I guess it
could be a fungle thing, or maybe just overwatering.

Ben,

One other thing to consider, is that if this raspberry bush is a summer
fruiting raspberry, it will be thinking about putting up new shoots for
next years crop, and this years canes will be thinking about dying back.

Canes in my garden that have been mostly cropped, are starting to look
really tatty. I have healthy new baby canes growing well, and will strat
tying these in when they are large enough, and cut the old ones out when
the crop is finished.

If I were you, I'd improve an area of ground in the autumn with a mass of
well rotted horse manure, garden compost and maybe a bit of sand or gravel
if your clay is really heavy, and transplant all your raspberry roots very
carefully into the new area about a month later.

If you can't move your raspberries, do them a favour and give them a deep
mulch of manure.

No need to feed them after that - I don't - just once a year with manure.

If your raspberry is an autumn fruiting variety, yellow leaves are a
problem, and could also be the sign of a nutrient deficency - e.g.
magnesium. My autumn raspberrys are a nice bright green colour and growing
fast ATM.

HTH, Sarah
(Gardening in heavy soil with clay underneath in extreme N.E. Wales)

Old 15-07-2004, 02:14 PM
Anna Kettle

The flavour and fruit size gradually deteriorates and after about ten years
you really should start new canes.

Well my bushes are at least seven years old and could be 25 years old
so I shall take your advice and replace them