Old 08-03-2004, 07:55 PM
Andy Hunt

Default Raspberry bush in a pot?

I bought a patio pear tree and a raspberry bush from Wilkinsons the other
day, and put them both in pots. Then it occurred to me that it hadn't
actually said on the raspberry bush that it would be OK in a pot.

Should I move it to deep earth, or do you think it will be OK in a pot?

Thanks!

Andy

Old 08-03-2004, 09:47 PM
m mouse

Andy Hunt wrote:
I bought a patio pear tree and a raspberry bush from Wilkinsons the other
day, and put them both in pots. Then it occurred to me that it hadn't
actually said on the raspberry bush that it would be OK in a pot.

Should I move it to deep earth, or do you think it will be OK in a pot?

Should be fine, as long as you feed it well and don't let it dry out, I
use open ground, land-rover tyres and a couple in a large pot, the tyres
seem most reliable produce wise, but the potted do well enough.

Niel.

Old 09-03-2004, 08:03 AM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 19:03:28 -0000, "Andy Hunt"
wrote:

I bought a patio pear tree and a raspberry bush from Wilkinsons the other
day, and put them both in pots. Then it occurred to me that it hadn't
actually said on the raspberry bush that it would be OK in a pot.

When you say raspberry "bush" do you mean a single cane?

Pam in Bristol
Old 09-03-2004, 08:03 AM
Pam Moore

wrote:

I bought a patio pear tree and a raspberry bush from Wilkinsons the other
day, and put them both in pots. Then it occurred to me that it hadn't
actually said on the raspberry bush that it would be OK in a pot.

|When you say raspberry "bush", do you mean a single cane?
In my experience newly planted canes should be cut to a few inches.
Is is summer or autumn fruiting?
I kept some raspberry canes in a big pot for several years when I
moved house and they survived until I got an allotment and planted
them out.

Pam in Bristol

Old 09-03-2004, 10:38 AM
Nellie

"Pam Moore" wrote in message

I kept some raspberry canes in a big pot for several years when I
moved house and they survived until I got an allotment and planted
them out.

Hi, Pam. Did your raspberries in pots produce fruit? How many canes to a
pot (and what size pot)? I have no space for fruit but I'd love to grow
raspberries and blackberries. I thought they'd grow too large for pots?

Thanks.

Old 09-03-2004, 10:41 AM
Andy Hunt

I kept some raspberry canes in a big pot for several years when I
moved house and they survived until I got an allotment and planted
them out.

Hi, Pam. Did your raspberries in pots produce fruit? How many canes to a
pot (and what size pot)? I have no space for fruit but I'd love to grow
raspberries and blackberries. I thought they'd grow too large for pots?

This is my problem too - and I too am hoping that it will fruit in a pot.
It's a single cane I bought in a bag from Wilkinsons, it's only little, so I
assume it's been sold ready to put straight it. It's quite a big pot, so
hopefully it will be OK - but I *do* want it to fruit, too!

I've put mine up against a wall with a net on it, so that I can train it
into the net so it doesn't straggle all over the place.

Thanks!

Andrew

Old 10-03-2004, 04:19 AM
JennyC

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
In article rLg3c.2544$m56.2263@newsfe1-win,
(Andy Hunt) wrote:

It is of the nature of raspberry canes to drink quite a lot of water and
spread horizontally putting up lots more canes. I would suggest a soil
surface area of around 0.25 sqm per planted cane. Depth is less of an
issue as raspberries are shallow rooting.

Steve Harris

I am VERY interested in this myself. Raspberries are my absolute favorite summer
fruit and I don't have ground to plant them in............

A quick google threw up the following (from the gardenweb forum):

Raspberries in pots?
Posted by ccallas z9 SF Bay Area (My Page) on Mon, Jan 19, 04 at 1:21

I've seen a few mentions of growing raspberries in containers, but I'm hoping
for a few specifics.
My "garden" is mostly concrete. Our summers tend to be somewhat cool, with
morning fog/overcast. I have heard of people nearby who have been successful
with raspberries. But, since I don't have much in the way of real dirt, I need
to plant them in containers.

I haven't been able to find any references that say how big a container you
need, for how many plants. I was planning to try two plants per half-barrel, as
a way to get started. Anybody have experience with this? Can I plant more per
barrel? Fewer plants? Anything special about the soil?

Thanks for any help you can give,
C.

Follow-Up Postings:

Raspberries in pots?
Posted by: speedyox z5 Chicago (My Page) on Mon, Jan 19, 04 at 11:21

I've never grown raspberries in a container before but in the ground, the roots
will go 16" - 24" deep. 18" should be enough. I have planted my plants 1 to 2
feet apart with the expectation that they will grow to form solid rows with
canes every few inches within a couple years. They will probably spread by
suckering to populate whatever container they are in. I don't know if they will
continue to spread and outgrow their pot or not.

Raspberries in pots?
Posted by: Faithling z4 VT (My Page) on Mon, Jan 19, 04 at 21:25

I know someone who planted raspberries in a raised bed with wood sides that was
about 18" high. I think the bed was about 5' X 10'. She didn't get a huge amount
of berries but enough for an occasional treat.
I think the down-side to growing berries in containers is that you wouldn't get
very many berries for the effort and the plants aren't very attractive. If
containers are the only way to go, I would opt for blueberries which are much
more attractive plants.

Raspberries in pots?
Posted by: hschutte 7b (My Page) on Wed, Jan 21, 04 at 21:57

I grew them in pots 2 years ago when I was living in a apartment with a patio.
They survived pretty well. Got some decent fruit too. I used a large clay pot
and watered every other day during the summer. The heat in charlotte,nc is
severe..

Old 10-03-2004, 04:19 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message rLg3c.2544$m56.2263@newsfe1-win
from "Andy Hunt" contains these words:

I've put mine up against a wall with a net on it, so that I can train it
into the net so it doesn't straggle all over the place.

If it's a raspberry it will not need any support. The net will be handy
though, for keeping the blackbirds off.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 10-03-2004, 04:20 AM
Andy Hunt

It is of the nature of raspberry canes to drink quite a lot of water and
spread horizontally putting up lots more canes. I would suggest a soil
surface area of around 0.25 sqm per planted cane. Depth is less of an
issue as raspberries are shallow rooting.

Steve Harris

I am VERY interested in this myself. Raspberries are my absolute favorite

summer
fruit and I don't have ground to plant them in............

A quick google threw up the following (from the gardenweb forum):

Thanks for this, Jenny. It looks fairly promising for mine anyway - I've got
it in quite a big pot, and I've only got one cane in there - plenty of
space. The thing seems to be to keep it well-watered in the summer for lots
of fruit, from what I can gather.

Good job I've ordered my council-subsidised water butt!

Andrew