Old 21-07-2004, 11:54 PM
Pile

Default Turf laying

One last question! Previously when I needed to patch/repair the lawn I
bought seed from B&Q. For a larger areas is this the best option to go
for?
Old 22-07-2004, 12:01 AM
Rod

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 21:11:47 +0000 (UTC), "PK"
wrote:

I sowed in april and had a fully useable lawn in 8 weeks

pk

I saw that with a client who was savvy on grass care, better than some
I turfed in the same area at the same time.
Rod

Weed my email address to reply.
Old 22-07-2004, 12:51 AM
Pile

Well, I have contacted the local Rolawn depot. Just the turf comes in
at at over the mind blowing £500 figure!
I know it would take longer to establish but what about rotovating and
then grading and seeding? Would this be the same in the long run cos I
bet it would be a hell of a lot cheaper.
Old 22-07-2004, 12:56 AM
Franz Heymann

"Pile" wrote in message
om...
Well, I have contacted the local Rolawn depot. Just the turf comes

in
at at over the mind blowing £500 figure!
I know it would take longer to establish but what about rotovating

and
then grading and seeding? Would this be the same in the long run cos

bet it would be a hell of a lot cheaper.

That makes at least as good a lawn as laying turf. It does not take
all that long for a sown lawn to be attractive and usable.

Franz

Old 22-07-2004, 01:03 AM
Pile

Thanks for the advice all! Seed it is then. Are there any tips a real
novice could use to make this any easier?

I think I need to rotovate, then rake level and maybe lightly roll?
Probably use stakes with string for the level. Any extra tips most
welcome.

Thanks again for your useful ideas.
Old 22-07-2004, 01:05 AM
Pile

Old 22-07-2004, 08:17 AM
Magwitch

PK muttered:

Magwitch wrote:
Pile muttered:

Well, I have contacted the local Rolawn depot. Just the turf
comes in at at over the mind blowing £500 figure!
I know it would take longer to establish but what about
rotovating and then grading and seeding? Would this be the
same in the long run cos I bet it would be a hell of a lot
cheaper.

Please go for seed. We've got 2 new lawns which look lovely and
they're only 18 months old, they looked 'green' after 4 weeks.
Get some friends round to tread the ground firm,

The "Geoff Hamilton tread" !!

pk

....like a Red Indian war dance 'cept there's no fire, however, there can be
fire water...

Old 29-07-2004, 09:11 AM
Pile

I lied. One last question then I'll go prepare the ground!
A mate has said that I should rotovate - another friend siad he had
been told to hire something like a rotovator but it goes deeper? Is
this necessary? Shoudl I also hire a roller for when it is rotovated
and should I use a special rake to level the ground? The one I have is
a bit old & scabby.
Old 29-07-2004, 02:26 PM
Sue da Nimm

"Pile" wrote in message
om...
I lied. One last question then I'll go prepare the ground!
A mate has said that I should rotovate

If you rotovate keep it shallow or the chances are that the soil will
redistribute itself so that you end up with an uneven lawn.
Then carefully walk back and forth to make sure it is evenly compacted.

- another friend siad he had
been told to hire something like a rotovator but it goes deeper? Is
this necessary?

If you just till the surface this will help the turf get established.
If you go deep you will struggle to level the ground - and it will probably
subside after a good heavy bout of rain.

Shoudl I also hire a roller for when it is rotovated

If you have a heavy roller and a cart-horse to pull it then it might be
worthwhile.
An ordinary concrete or water-filled roller will convince you that it is
nice and flat ...until it rains.

and should I use a special rake to level the ground? The one I have is
a bit old & scabby.

Laying Turf - Need to rotavate or just feed topsoil before laying pzboyz United Kingdom 1 03-06-2005 08:39 AM
Laying new top soil and turf Zeroaxe United Kingdom 0 17-07-2003 12:53 PM
Turf laying prep Pigling United Kingdom 7 13-06-2003 09:44 AM
Turf laying costs? dmc United Kingdom 1 09-04-2003 02:20 PM
Laying Turf Stephen Macintyre United Kingdom 2 17-11-2002 11:47 AM