Old 14-07-2004, 01:40 PM
Wilson Woods

Default Clarification: HOW YOU CAN HELP stop fishing?

Wilson Woods wrote:
Brian Smith wrote:

Humans have NOT 'evolved to eat meat'. It's NOT good for you!

Patently FALSE; in fact, a lie. Humans ARE
biologically and anatomically adapted to eating some
meat, and meat in reasonable quantities is VERY good
for you.

No academically credentialed anthropologist or
biologist believes that humans aren't evolved as meat
eaters, and very few doctors believe that humans
shouldn't eat meat at all for good health. Yours is a
distinctly minority position based on religious faith
and politics rather than science. YOU CAN'T DO SCIENCE.

Exactly as I said, humans evolved to eat meat, and we have teeth designed
for eating meat!

Our teeth are well adapted - I don't believe in "design" in this manner
- for eating a wide range of foods. In fact, our teeth and the rest of
our anatomy are *not* well adapted to eating large quantities of meat,

There should have been extra emphasis: our teeth and
the rest of our anatomy are *not* well adapted to
eating ***large*** quantities of meat... Our teeth
and anatomy are very well adapted to eating moderate
quantities of meat. In general, people shouldn't be
eating 20 ounce porterhouse steaks; that just isn't
healthful. People SHOULD be eating 4-6 ounce filets,
pork chops, chicken breasts, fish steaks, etc. - along
with cereal grains, fresh green vegetables, beans and
other legumes, and fresh fruit, meat/poultry/fish
servings in that range are very healthful indeed.

especially the raw meat that would have been consumed at the time of the
appearance of the homo genus. As you note, though, moderate portions of
meat are extremely beneficial to human health. Very few people in
medicine dispute this, and those who do are going against their medical
training in order to make a polemical point.

These newsgroups are not supposed to be about discussion of the anatomy
of humans or the nutritional value of meat. They're supposed to be
concerned with the (alleged) ethical issues concerning human use of
animals. The idiot Lesley can't discuss that, though, so for some
bizarre reason she veers off into discussion of other stuff she ALSO
doesn't know, specifically science. It's a weird sort of piling-on,
isn't it? Sort of: "...and *another* thing: meat is bad for you!"
Well, she's wrong - small portions of meat are good for you - and it
isn't "another" thing, because she in particular has never established
any FIRST thing, i.e. that human use of animals is wrong.

Eating it in small quantities is beneficial, particularly to the immune
system.
Like you said, vegetarian/vegans base there opinions on
religious/political
beliefs. What annoys me is that they condemn and put pressure on,
others who
do not share their opinion!

That's because they are totalitarian in their thinking. Fortunately for
the rest of us, they are impotent, ineffectual little crybabies, too, so
they seldom act on their totalitarian impulses.