Old 10-02-2003, 04:25 AM
Todd J.

Default Need some clarification

When looking at plants and the enviroment, I have some grey areas I
need cleared up:

What defines partical shade as opposed to partical sun? Are they the
same?? How many hours is needed for either condition?

How many hours is "full" sun considered?

Thanks.

Change the .com to .net to email me
Old 10-02-2003, 04:55 AM
Sunflower

"Todd J." wrote in message
When looking at plants and the enviroment, I have some grey areas I
need cleared up:

What defines partical shade as opposed to partical sun? Are they the
same?? How many hours is needed for either condition?

How many hours is "full" sun considered?

Thanks.

Just to complicate things even further for you, G location also plays a
big part in deterniming how many hours of sun are sufficient for a "partly
sunny" or "shady" location. The further north a location is, the less
intense the sunlight is, so more hours of it are required for sunlovers. A
rose that will do well in only 4 hours of sun here in the South may need 6+
hours further north in order to be able to bloom well.

The same goes for shade lovers. A hosta that may survive fine in MN with 4
hours of direct sun, but shaded the rest of the day, will burn to a crisp
here in MS with the same amount of sun. Heuchera are mostly shade plants
here, and can be sun plants further north., for another example.

There is also and East/West bias to the sunlight intensity as well. The
Eastern half of the US (+ the PNW) has more frequent cloud cover, thus
reducing the amount of direct sun received by plants on average.

So, although "full sun" is usually talked of as 6+ hours every day, some
plants that need full sun can be happy with less hours than that in the
desert SW. And, as for the "partly sunny/partly shady" bit of approximately
2-4 hours of sun, that needs a location tweak as well. Figure out where you
are on this sunlight intensity scale, and then try to roughly match a plants
stated needs with your version of sun or shade. It also helps to ask local
gardeners what works for them.

Location is, once again, everything.

Sunflower
MS 7b

Old 10-02-2003, 08:25 PM
Penny Morgan

Part shade is usually early morning sun/afternoon shade (sun 3-4 hours in
morning/shade 7+ hours in afternoon).

Part sun is the opposite: Shade 3-4 hours in morning/sun 7+ in afternoon.

*These are estimates - plus or minus a few hours. There are no set rules in
the amount of hours. It usually means that the plant will do better with
these conditions. Take an example of geraniums. Here in the south, I find
they look very lush and vibrant if they have part shade (early morning sun
and afternoon shade). The afternoon sun is much more intense and tends to
burn plant leaves.

I would say full sun is at least 7+ hours of afternoon sun.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

Old 10-02-2003, 09:55 PM
Todd J.

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:09:59 GMT, "Penny Morgan"
wrote:

Part shade is usually early morning sun/afternoon shade (sun 3-4 hours in
morning/shade 7+ hours in afternoon).

Part sun is the opposite: Shade 3-4 hours in morning/sun 7+ in afternoon.

*These are estimates - plus or minus a few hours. There are no set rules in
the amount of hours. It usually means that the plant will do better with
these conditions. Take an example of geraniums. Here in the south, I find
they look very lush and vibrant if they have part shade (early morning sun
and afternoon shade). The afternoon sun is much more intense and tends to
burn plant leaves.

I would say full sun is at least 7+ hours of afternoon sun.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

Thanks Penny. What part of NC are you in??? I'm from there........ I
live in Tennessee now. Cumberland Mountains, Zone 6b (due to altitude)

Change the .com to .net to email me