Old 22-07-2004, 01:05 AM
SusieThompson

Default To polytunnel or not?

We are thinking about buying a 10x10 polytunnel for our new garden -
this is the largest we can fit into space available. It will be
situated on the southerly side of our home, and will get no shade at all
during the height of summer, but some shade in depths of winter.

The other option is, of course, a greenhouse, about 8x8 which we could
put up against the south facing wall of the house. This would get
exactly the same growing conditions, except that it would probably get
less shade in winter.

Both could be exposed to some of the gales that can blow in the valley
where we live. Here on the Isle of Arran we don't get too much snow and
the winter temperatures on the whole are fairly kind.

Is there anybody out there living in Scotland who has a polytunnel and
can give us any advice or information? Is there maybe a helpful website
or two? Perhaps there's a good local supplier/manufacturer we can talk
to? Thanks a lot
--
Susie Thompson
SPAM BLOCK IN OPERATION! Replace "deadspam.com" with "arrandragons.co.uk" to
Old 23-07-2004, 02:05 AM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "Phil L" contains these words:

David Hill wrote:
:: Remember if you have a lean-to greenhouse then your house wall
:: will retain some of the days heat and help to keep the night temp.
:: up a degree or so in the winter.
:: Also it will be easier to get electric into it if you want to.

Now I think I understand what happened in the 'moisture sensor' thread - you
are replying to the original poster, but tacking it onto the last post in
the thread, thereby replying in this instance, not to Susie as you intended
to, but compo.

You are mistaken, Phil. The fact that David's post appears on your
screen directly beneath Compo's does not mean that he was replying to
Compo (usenet threads don't work like that) nor does it mean he "tacked
it on the end of the thread". David can't influence the order in which
posts appear on your screen.

You probably have your newsreader set to thread posts in chronological order.

Janet

Old 23-07-2004, 02:05 AM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from SusieThompson contains these words:

We are thinking about buying a 10x10 polytunnel for our new garden -

The other option is, of course, a greenhouse,(snip)

Both could be exposed to some of the gales that can blow in the valley
where we live. Here on the Isle of Arran we don't get too much snow and
the winter temperatures on the whole are fairly kind.

We almost got stuck in drifted snow on your road last winter; we got
taken by surprise because there wasn't any at all over on our side or
down on the W coast.GH roofs are better able to cope with the weight of
snow, I think.

Although there are polytunnels elsewhere on the island, I've not
noticed any in your neck of the woods. It might be a good idea to ask
locals if polytunnels can survive there.

Janet.

Old 23-07-2004, 02:05 PM
Franz Heymann

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in
message ...

David Hill wrote:
[...]

On the other hand, if David did not make a habit of removing relevant
headers, snipping without saying so and requoting context without
attribution marks, his posts would have been easier to read. Having
said that, I would emphasise that his posts are always very much worth
reading.

You probably have your newsreader set to thread posts in

chronological order.

Franz

Old 23-07-2004, 03:07 PM
Malcolm

In article , Janet
Baraclough.. writes
The message
from SusieThompson contains these words:

We are thinking about buying a 10x10 polytunnel for our new garden -

The other option is, of course, a greenhouse,(snip)

Both could be exposed to some of the gales that can blow in the valley
where we live. Here on the Isle of Arran we don't get too much snow and
the winter temperatures on the whole are fairly kind.

We almost got stuck in drifted snow on your road last winter; we got
taken by surprise because there wasn't any at all over on our side or
down on the W coast.GH roofs are better able to cope with the weight of
snow, I think.

Although there are polytunnels elsewhere on the island, I've not
noticed any in your neck of the woods. It might be a good idea to ask
locals if polytunnels can survive there.

I know of perhaps half a dozen polytunnels that have been blown away
here on Islay over the years, but they should be covered by normal
household insurance. I bought the very much stronger, though more
expensive, solartunnel (www.solartunnels.co.uk) which the supplier told
me was being used successfully on Orkney and Shetland. Not only is it so
constructed that it is much less likely to blow away, but the plastic
cover is a great deal tougher as it incorporates a mesh and so cannot
tear.

What you can grow is only limited by your imagination! Tomatoes,
peppers, sweetcorn, salads, peppers, cucumbers, beans, winter
cauliflower, carrots, etc., etc. I can recommend the book 'Gardening
under plastic' by Bernard Salt (Batsford 1999) ISBN 0 7134 8448 9.

--
Malcolm

Old 24-07-2004, 08:47 AM
Registered User

Location: Lincoln, UK

Quote:
Originally posted by SusieThompson
Is there anybody out there living in Scotland who has a polytunnel and
can give us any advice or information? Is there maybe a helpful website
or two? Perhaps there's a good local supplier/manufacturer we can talk
to? Thanks a lot
--
Susie Thompson
SPAM BLOCK IN OPERATION! Replace "deadspam.com" with "arrandragons.co.uk" to
reply by e-mail. [/b]
I do not know Scotland but some facts that might help you to decide:

Greenhouses are easier to kep cool in summer than polytunnels.
Greenhouses are warmer in winter than the outside (not by much always)
Polytunnels are colder in winter than the outside (not by much always)
You cannot break the glass in a polytunnel.
If the polythene goes, you have to replace the lot, not just one pane.
Old 24-07-2004, 11:02 AM
compo

The message
from SusieThompson contains these words:

We are thinking about buying a 10x10 polytunnel for our new garden -
this is the largest we can fit into space available. It will be
situated on the southerly side of our home, and will get no shade at all
during the height of summer, but some shade in depths of winter.

The other option is, of course, a greenhouse,

Note to the original poster:

A friend has been considering buying a large polytunnel for some time.
He happened to pass a house the other day that had an old aluminium
greenhouse in the untended garden. It was a large greenhouse and some
of the glass was missing. He knocked on the house door and made an
offer for the greenhouse. He got it for 60 UKP, a bargain! He then
went to a DIY store and bought another greenhouse, smaller than the
second hand one, (in order to make up space that he would have had in a
large tunnel) and got home to find that they had given him the galss
package for a much larger greenhouse. He now has enough glass to glaze
both new and second hand greenhouses - lucky blighter! Anyway, point of
the story is that there may be a good quality greenhouse or tunnel
nearby that could be bought for a song.

--
Cheers,
Compo
Old 24-07-2004, 11:08 AM
Kay

In article , Peltigera
writes

SusieThompson wrote:
Is there anybody out there living in Scotland who has a polytunnel
and
can give us any advice or information? Is there maybe a helpful
website
or two? Perhaps there's a good local supplier/manufacturer we can
talk
to? Thanks a lot
--

I do not know Scotland but some facts that might help you to decide:

Greenhouses are easier to kep cool in summer than polytunnels.
Greenhouses are warmer in winter than the outside (not by much always)
Polytunnels are colder in winter than the outside (not by much
always)
You cannot break the glass in a polytunnel.
If the polythene goes, you have to replace the lot, not just one pane.

Well, I think that's why Susie specifically wanted advice from people in
Scotland - she's aware of what you say, but wanted to know the chances
of a polytunnel blowing away in Scotland's high winds.
--
Kay

Old 24-07-2004, 12:18 PM
compo

The message
from "Phil L" contains these words:

No, his reply was to me and not to the OP.

My reply was directed to the original poster, I know nothing of the
senor thread. I assume that David was not reponding to my post but
someone else's :-) Does it really matter anyway?

Confused,
Compo.

Old 24-07-2004, 02:43 PM
David Hill

To whom it may concern.
For polytunnels in the UK try

http://www.firsttunnels.co.uk/

http://www.northernpolytunnels.co.uk/hobby5.htm

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 24-07-2004, 03:02 PM
David Hill

Old 24-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Phil L

David Hill wrote:
:: Phil L wrote ".......Now I think I understand what happened in
:: the 'moisture sensor' thread - you are replying to the original
:: poster, but tacking it onto the last post in the thread, thereby
:: replying in this instance, not to Susie as you intended to, but
:: compo....and *sometimes* it makes no sense and causes confusion,
:: not helped by your oversnipping! ........"
::
:: What the hell are you blathering on about?

Your reply in this thread:
"Remember if you have a lean-to greenhouse then your house wall will retain
some of the days heat and help to keep the night temp. up a degree or so in
the winter.
Also it will be easier to get electric into it if you want to."

Was in reply to Compo and not to the original poster...if it had been it
would have been directly under theirs....subsequently, it makes no sense as
far as compo is concerned, but it does to the OP.

::
:: I snipped nothing.

You snipped everything - it's always beter to leave some of the text in the
post you are replying to, and if that person is the OP, then after you've
read the replies, go back to the first one in the thread (the OP) and click
reply group - this is what happened in the moisture sensor thread when you
told me that my garden must be miniscule or very strange if it all needed
watering at the same time, but it wasn't meant for me was it?

Old 24-07-2004, 08:19 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Peltigera
writes

SusieThompson wrote:
[...]

There is an enormous polytunnel at Applecross which has, for many
years, done sterling service as a "protected alfresco" restaurant
attached to a camp site.

Franz

Old 24-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Franz Heymann