Old 23-07-2004, 03:07 PM
Justin R.M. Unsworth

Default Landscaping ... Loose Chippings

Hi All,

Not a growing question, but landscaping.

I want to cordon off a section of garden for a shed, (8' x 10'). The area is
only about 12' wide and once the shed is in i want to be able to get round
it but don't want to have to mow any grass that currently fills the area.

Soooo, the idea is to put down some stone chippings, and thenh a few railway
sleepers to base the shed on.

My question is, what is the process to put down the chippings? Ok I take up
the turf in that area, but then do I need to put a membrain down, do i have
to put a base for the chippings?

Currently it has been suggested that I only need to put a base of sand.

Also what thickness would you recommend for the chippings.

Any ideas, websites etc. would be really useful. Thanks.

Re

Justin

Old 23-07-2004, 07:48 PM
Justin R.M. Unsworth

Cheers for the response,

A couple of additional questions:

- What's ISTR?

- How deep is all that? I mean yours truly was only intending on whipping
the Turf off, so that's not a lot of depth to put all that down.

Re

Justin

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"Justin R.M. Unsworth" wrote in message
[...]

When we have put down chippings we have put down:

sand to level the site and protect against stones etc.
plastic sheet to discourage existing deep rooted weeds etc. growing up
through the chippings.
then
sand to protect the plastic sheeting from the chippings (couple of inches
ISTR)
chippings on top - again a couple of inches ISTR but you usually end up
adding another layer

In your case you may have to have a deeper layer of sand (both sides of

the
membrane) and chippings because you are putting quite a load on top of it.

Probably also a good idea to put long lasting weed killer under it all -

it
is hard to weed underneath a shed.

HTH
Dave R

Old 25-07-2004, 12:45 PM
Justin R.M. Unsworth

Hmmm,

Again thanks for the input.

One other question. How do you handle drainage from the membrain?

Re

Justin

"Jim S" wrote in message
Hi,

I think ISTR stands for 'I Seem To Recall'

As for your project(if levels allow!):

1. Spray off turf with glyphosate or similar.
2. Level ground roughly with existing topsoil etc.
3. Buy good quality membrane and lay.
4. Lay gravel to desired levels + sleepers on top of membrane - depth

about
2" but depends on size of aggregate.
5. Omly apply weedkiller if necessary in the future!

Previous responce was detailed, but why do you need to use all of that

sand!

A good geotextile membrane would be preferable to plastic sheet.