Old 28-07-2004, 10:08 AM
Sacha

Default Weather - or the lack of it

Is anyone else going through our weather patterns or is it confined to
Landscove?! We are having dull days, sometimes with ferocious black clouds
piling up but not a drop of rain worth mentioning. It's warm, to and
unpleasantly airless at times. We're having to water both garden and
nursery morning and night.
I know this area can be a bit of a micro-climate but this is starting to get
silly!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 28-07-2004, 10:08 AM

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 09:12:26 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Is anyone else going through our weather patterns or is it confined to
Landscove?! We are having dull days, sometimes with ferocious black clouds
piling up but not a drop of rain worth mentioning. It's warm, to and
unpleasantly airless at times. We're having to water both garden and
nursery morning and night.
I know this area can be a bit of a micro-climate but this is starting to get
silly!

I think Jenny and I are getting all your rainwater. We are on a cycle
of torrential rain & big storms followed by a few sunny days and then
more rain. It reminds me of the good old summers we had before all the
talk about global warming started. The winds have been northerly most
of the time this summer.

This link contains dramatic photos of the storm two weekends ago.
http://www.meteonet.nl/fotoverslag17072004.htm The ones towards the
end are best.
Are you sure you want some too? :-)
--
Martin
Old 28-07-2004, 11:07 AM
JennyC

wrote:

[...]

Martin has described the weather here in Western Holland perfectly.

Perhaps this tag 'global warming' should be changed to 'global wettening' !

Maybe we shall all have to start water gardens before long..........
Jenny

Old 28-07-2004, 12:06 PM

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 11:45:02 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

It seems to be even worse in the north and in Germany.

Perhaps this tag 'global warming' should be changed to 'global wettening' !

Maybe we shall all have to start water gardens before long..........

On the other hand we have saved a fortune in not having to water the
garden this year.
--
Martin
Old 28-07-2004, 03:06 PM
David Hill

Is anyone else going through our weather patterns or is it confined to
Landscove?! We are having dull days, sometimes with ferocious black clouds
piling up but not a drop of rain worth mentioning. It's warm, to and
unpleasantly airless at times. We're having to water both garden and
nursery morning and night.
I know this area can be a bit of a micro-climate but this is starting to get
silly!

Sacha

I could just change Landscove for Skewen and put my name in place of yours.

Only one bit of good rain in the last couple of months. Lots of dull days
when it looks like rain but we get the odd 5 mins of drizzle.
I hate to think of my next water bill.
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 28-07-2004, 05:18 PM
Sacha

On 28/7/04 9:25, in article ,
" wrote:

snip This link contains dramatic photos of the storm two weekends ago.
http://www.meteonet.nl/fotoverslag17072004.htm The ones towards the
end are best.
Are you sure you want some too? :-)

Ugh - not the gale part of things, thank you! We had more than enough of
that a couple of weeks back.
--

Sacha

Old 28-07-2004, 05:59 PM
Bob Hobden

"Sacha" wrote ...
Is anyone else going through our weather patterns or is it confined to
Landscove?! We are having dull days, sometimes with ferocious black

clouds
piling up but not a drop of rain worth mentioning. It's warm, to and
unpleasantly airless at times. We're having to water both garden and
nursery morning and night.
I know this area can be a bit of a micro-climate but this is starting to

get
silly!
--

Exactly the same here Sacha, no more than a few spots for some weeks now,
ground is cracked apart and like concrete where not being cultivated.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 28-07-2004, 07:31 PM
Charlie Pridham

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

Sun broke through about 2 hours ago so it should be on its way to you both!
bit of rain forecast for Thursday night but the ground here is quite damp
already so its not really needed :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 28-07-2004, 08:07 PM
richard.sadler

Nope you are not alone, excluding the last 3 days, I have watered every two
or three days since last April. Every none gardener I talked to, has
invariably come-up with, " Good for growing weather", but below 1/2 cm's dry
dust. However when I add the other challenges, Slugs and Snails by the
bucket load, (more than I have ever experienced before), limited help from
the Foxes in clearing the slugs but paying themselves by eating all my
Strawberries, Squirrels eating all the shoulders of my carrots ie those few
left by the Carrot Fly. Potatoes decimated by Blight earlier than I have
ever known it to appear,( Early July) Pidgeons stripping all my Sprouts,
Iceberg Lettuce rotten with Botrytis and Cats ,(13 in the neighbourhood),
breaking my cotton barriers to dig and do what comes naturally. I have just
been to check the outdoor tomatoes and discovered instances of Blight. I am
still resisting using pesticides but I must admit it is very testing this
year. Got some superb Broad Beans, teaches one humility. I am in the
Stoke-on-Ttrent area. Regards Richard

Old 28-07-2004, 11:44 PM
Sacha

On 28/7/04 19:31, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

We have a good week end forecast for sun but today, the weather did much of
its usual trick - sulk all day and start to clear up around closing time!
It was warm, dry and overcast. Again.
Ray had the spray lines going on the lawns and flower beds near the house.
The lawns are beginning to dry out and crack and plants are flagging
terribly. It wouldn't be so awful if we had real sun, somehow!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk