Old 31-07-2004, 01:01 PM
Ben Blackmore

Default Japanese Maple

Hi,

When we moved into our house there was a Japanese Maple left in a pot in the
garden, however the leaves have all gone curly and crispy, I think its been
left in direct sun light. Is there any hope for it? What should I do? Prune
it, or just leave it in the shade somewhere?

Any help much appreciated

Ben

Old 31-07-2004, 03:25 PM
nambucca

"Ben Blackmore" wrote in message
Hi,

When we moved into our house there was a Japanese Maple left in a pot in

the
garden, however the leaves have all gone curly and crispy, I think its

been
left in direct sun light. Is there any hope for it? What should I do?

Prune
it, or just leave it in the shade somewhere?

Any help much appreciated

Ben

Water it but dont drown it and put it in the shade .......it should recover
.......they cant cope with full sun or the drying winds we have had recently

Old 31-07-2004, 03:29 PM
Emrys Davies

'Ben',

Feed it, prune it late summer to your liking and stand it in partial
shade. It does not like the strong afternoon sun.

It may also need repotting.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 31-07-2004, 05:38 PM
Mike Lyle

"Ben Blackmore" wrote in message ...
Hi,

When we moved into our house there was a Japanese Maple left in a pot in the
garden, however the leaves have all gone curly and crispy, I think its been
left in direct sun light. Is there any hope for it? What should I do? Prune
it, or just leave it in the shade somewhere?

Any help much appreciated

I'd drop it in a big container of water till it's completely soaked
through, and see what happens: there may be some surviving leaf-buds.
Not your fault if it's dead, though. You might gently nick the bark
near the bottom of a lower branch to see if the layer underneath seems
to have any life in it.

Mike.

Old 31-07-2004, 06:40 PM
Pam Moore

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 12:01:08 GMT, "Ben Blackmore"
wrote:

When we moved into our house there was a Japanese Maple left in a pot in the
garden, however the leaves have all gone curly and crispy, I think its been
left in direct sun light. Is there any hope for it? What should I do? Prune
it, or just leave it in the shade somewhere?

I would not prune it, or feed it, except with 0;10;10 or tomato feed.
Yes, move it to the shade, water it, and be patient.
If you feed it any nitrogen it might put on new fresh growth now, but
it is a bit late in the year for that and soft shoots might start to
die back.
It may lose all its leaves and not show any signs of life until next
year.........or it may be beyond hope. Be optimistic and you may be
lucky. It depends on how long it had been neglected.

Pam in Bristol

Old 01-08-2004, 11:53 AM
Ben Blackmore

wrote:

[...]

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

I think the JM had been neglected for about 3 months, that was the time
between us viewing when i looked ok, and moving in. The leaves are all curly
and totally crispy. I've snipped off one branch, and the core doesn't look
very green or healthy.

I have moved it to a shady spot, re-potted and watered it lots, also added
some food. I guess all I can do not is wait and see what happens.

Ben

Old 01-08-2004, 12:45 PM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 10:53:14 GMT, "Ben Blackmore"
wrote:

I think the JM had been neglected for about 3 months, that was the time
between us viewing when i looked ok, and moving in. The leaves are all curly
and totally crispy. I've snipped off one branch, and the core doesn't look
very green or healthy.

Ben, acers are quite good at sprouting from lower down, if there is
any live wood left. Don't give up yet.

Pam in Bristol