Old 07-08-2004, 08:21 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Wasps, wasps and more wasps

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 14:04:43 +0100, sarah wrote:

FWIW, most of what we see as moorland, even in Scotland was once
reasonably productive woodland. A lot of it was cleared for for
agriculture in the Bronze/Iron Age, but the soil was too poor for
prolonged cropping. Impoverishment of the soil plus climatic change (it
got wetter and colder) encouraged the development of the boggy/heathery
stuff we now regard as characteristic of such places.

Trees will grow quite well in soils unsuited to any other crop.

"The Roadside Geology of Oregon", in describing the lateritic
soils of Oregon's Coast Range (the low mountains between the
Willamette Valley and the Pacific Ocean), remarks that the soils
of the Coast Range are so poor that they're only good for growing
trees. Hence, don't expect the place to ever be very populated.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Old 08-08-2004, 04:47 PM
sarah

Rodger Whitlock wrote:

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 14:04:43 +0100, sarah wrote:

FWIW, most of what we see as moorland, even in Scotland was once
reasonably productive woodland. A lot of it was cleared for for
agriculture in the Bronze/Iron Age, but the soil was too poor for
prolonged cropping. Impoverishment of the soil plus climatic change (it
got wetter and colder) encouraged the development of the boggy/heathery
stuff we now regard as characteristic of such places.

Trees will grow quite well in soils unsuited to any other crop.

"The Roadside Geology of Oregon", in describing the lateritic
soils of Oregon's Coast Range (the low mountains between the
Willamette Valley and the Pacific Ocean), remarks that the soils
of the Coast Range are so poor that they're only good for growing
trees. Hence, don't expect the place to ever be very populated.

And all the more beautiful for it! But the weather doesn't encourage
people, either.
I have fond memories of a botanical field trip that took in that area,
many years ago.

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:02 PM
Tumbleweed

Default WAsps, wasps and more wasps..... back on subject

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 6/8/04 23:56, in article , "David

Hill"
wrote:

Tonight I've had to get rid of my 2nd nest of the year, this was/is in

the
corner of the packing /machinery shed, and the entrance to the nest is

only
about 4ft from the path to the cloths line and 10ft from the line

itself, so
it has to go.
Had to use step ladder to get to its height, but dusted it tonight after
dark, when there is no activity.
It's strange, I haven't had to remove any nests for the last 2 years,

and 2
already this year.

There was something in one of the papers today about wasps being a bit of

plague this year. Perhaps it's the result of a long hot end to last

summer
and a comparatively mild winter.

The BBC web site said it was due to a change in farming practices, using
less chemicals and leaving margins round fields.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 09-08-2004, 09:30 AM
The Reids

Following up to Rodger Whitlock

The domestication of the goat also has a lot to do with the
near-desertification of the Mediterranean basin.

I suspect we are all right in a sense, all the factors mentioned
contribute + rising populations where applicable, the use of wood
for fires and other things.
--
Mike Reid
If god wanted us to be vegetarians he wouldn't have made animals out of meat.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:30 AM
The Reids

Following up to Franz Heymann

I don't understand the problem with attributions: I use Google

Groups,
which isn't even _intended_ as a newsreader, but it does the
attributions automatically. Surely OE does, too?

Yes. It does. I use OE.

It is however possible to set up your newsreader differently from
the default and remove or substitute the s and have no
attribution or even "some burke said" instead. Although why
anyone would want to do any of this escapes me. Sadly the one
thing you cant do with Microsoft so called software is have a
valid sig file separator as I understand it strips out the
trailing blank of ".. ".