Old 07-08-2004, 10:07 AM
Brillo

Default No flower on a hydrangea

Two years ago, I planted a climbing hydrangea, Schizophragma,
‘hydrangeoides Moonlight' It has managed to climb a six foot high
wall (with the aid of some trellis), has plenty of leaf but I have not
yet seen any flowers. The label that came with it promises ‘clouds of
creamy-white, lace-cap heads of hydrangea-like flowers'.

It is on a north facing wall, the plant is supposed to be extremely
shade tolerant, well drained soil.

Any ideas on why I have no flower please?

I have tried talking to it but it just won't listen.

Thanks
Old 07-08-2004, 10:25 AM
Emrys Davies

"Brillo" wrote in message
om...
Two years ago, I planted a climbing hydrangea, Schizophragma,

You should of known that it was likely to act abnormally.
TryVarying its medication.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 07-08-2004, 10:26 AM
Sacha

On 7/8/04 10:07 am, in article
, "Brillo"
wrote:

Two years ago, I planted a climbing hydrangea, Schizophragma,
‘hydrangeoides Moonlight' It has managed to climb a six foot high
wall (with the aid of some trellis), has plenty of leaf but I have not
yet seen any flowers. The label that came with it promises ‘clouds of
creamy-white, lace-cap heads of hydrangea-like flowers'.

It is on a north facing wall, the plant is supposed to be extremely
shade tolerant, well drained soil.

Any ideas on why I have no flower please?

I have tried talking to it but it just won't listen.

Don't you hate it when that happens? ;-)
Schizophragma isn't actually a Hydrangea but Hydrangea-type flowers is a
good description. In fact, it flowers best in sun but will grow on a north
wall, so yours has probably got the best conditions for leaf but not for
flowers. However, I wonder if it is too dry and in the rain shadow of the
overhang of a roof? Even planted very close to a bare wall can mean less
rain on a plant as it sort of protects itself from the rain falling onto its
roots.
And two years is still quite a young plant - I don't know how long they take
to flower but we have one on our house wall that is about the same age and
facing north east and I don't recall a flower on it yet.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-08-2004, 07:24 AM
Brillo

Sacha wrote in message k...
On 7/8/04 10:07 am, in article
, "Brillo"
wrote:

Don't you hate it when that happens? ;-)

Thank you Sacha.
I will just leave it alone and see what happens.

hydrangea Sabaa Mundia Australia 6 19-06-2003 04:21 AM
Hydrangea petiolaris/Climbing Hydrangea pelirojaroja Gardening 2 21-04-2003 03:08 AM
Climbing Hydrangea Brs36 Gardening 5 08-04-2003 11:20 PM
Hydrangea - No Flowers Alan Terry United Kingdom 8 22-10-2002 05:45 PM