Old 10-08-2004, 09:07 AM
Nick Gray

Default contorted hazel

[snipped...]

Question: do cuttings of hazel ever root? I have a Harry Lauder's
walking stick that is badly afflicted with rootstock suckers and
I'd like to get a plant on its own roots. Would I be wasting my
time dibbling contorted cuttings into the soil? Remember, I only
need one to root...

[snipped...]
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
[change "atlantic" to "pacific" and
"invalid" to "net" to reply by email]

Hi Rodger,

Suggested propagation of corkscrew hazel is by layering or removing rooted
suckers from the parent tree.

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 10-08-2004, 10:58 AM
David Hill

"....... Hi Rodger,

Suggested propagation of corkscrew hazel is by layering or removing rooted
suckers from the parent tree.

Cheers Nick ....."

Which is what I said at the start of this thread

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 10-08-2004, 11:19 AM
David Hill

I have posted a picture of My corkscrew Hazel on
alt.binary.pictures.gardens.

All the plants I have seen in the past few years are Dutch in origin and are
grafted with a graft on one side of the stem.
I haven't seen one that I would call a good plant and nothing I would pay
even £1.00 for.
My bush was bought about 25 yrs ago as a 4 to 5 yr old plant and cost me
just short of £10.00 and that was trade price, but as I have said before it
has Never thrown one straight shoot.

Moral, you get what you pay for, though it seems now as if there is no
choice.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Suggested propagation of corkscrew hazel is by layering or removing rooted

Old 10-08-2004, 12:02 PM
Nick Gray

"David Hill" wrote in message
"....... Hi Rodger,

Suggested propagation of corkscrew hazel is by layering or removing rooted
suckers from the parent tree.

Cheers Nick ....."

Which is what I said at the start of this thread
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

I know, but Rodger asked the question after your post, so I answered it.

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 10-08-2004, 05:28 PM
Pam Moore

Presumably if a contorted hazel is grafted it may well sucker, if
layered, it should not.

Pam in Bristol

Old 10-08-2004, 06:47 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:02:38 +0100, Nick Gray wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message
"....... Hi Rodger,

Suggested propagation of corkscrew hazel is by layering or removing rooted
suckers from the parent tree.

Cheers Nick ....."

Which is what I said at the start of this thread

I know, but Rodger asked the question after your post, so I answered it.

The key thing being that the contorted hazel evidently doesn't
strike from cuttings. Since my own plant is on a non-contorted
rootstock, there are no contorted suckers to dig up. Guess I'll
have to try layering a branch to see if I can get it on its own
roots; the straight-sucker problem is pretty bad -- and my
specimen is in an awkward spot for getting at to remove them.

Old 10-08-2004, 10:16 PM
Franz Heymann

"Pam Moore" wrote in message

Presumably if a contorted hazel is grafted it may well sucker, if
layered, it should not.

Why not?
Surely it might sucker, but the suckers will be contorted.

Franz

Old 15-08-2004, 09:24 AM
Lee and Kath

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 22:11:02 GMT, Chris J Dixon wrote:

David Hill wrote:

Most of the plants for sale are Grafted, as it is almost impossible to get
it to root, you may sometimes get plants that are either layered or grown
from offshoots, but they are rare.

Interestingly, whenever seedlings germinate from my Contorted
Hazel, they are always straight.

Chris

I always cut off any straight branches. And all the seedlings which grow from the hazelnuts I miss
are straight with non curly leaves.

Kath
Lee H Smith
Translator of 'The Stories of George the Hamster',
the first human book written exclusively by a hamster.
ISBN 1-4137-2288-1
Release date 2nd October 2004
Pre-release copies available from www.publishamerica.com
and at www.amazon.com and its international web sites.