Old 15-08-2004, 08:36 PM

Default Absence of 'June Drop'

My apple trees are carrying a heavy crop of apples - but a crop which
consists of an excessive number of small apples.
The 'June Drop' seems to have not happened this year.
This applies to all of my apple trees irrespective of tree size and
variety.
Has anyone else experienced this effect this year?
Old 15-08-2004, 08:40 PM
Peter Crosland

Has anyone else experienced this effect this year?

Exactly the same here in South Somerset. Cider apples that is.

Old 15-08-2004, 08:59 PM
vsop

wrote in message

My apple trees are carrying a heavy crop of apples - but a crop which
consists of an excessive number of small apples.
The 'June Drop' seems to have not happened this year.
This applies to all of my apple trees irrespective of tree size and
variety.
Has anyone else experienced this effect this year?

We didn't get the usual ''Drop'' about June time this year, but we have had
the thinning process start within the last fortnight. Don't know why its
been delayed but it might have something to do with the wet weather
providing the fruit with plenty of sap.

Old 15-08-2004, 10:13 PM
Stephen Howard

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 19:59:38 +0000 (UTC), "vsop"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

My apple trees are carrying a heavy crop of apples - but a crop which
consists of an excessive number of small apples.
The 'June Drop' seems to have not happened this year.
This applies to all of my apple trees irrespective of tree size and
variety.
Has anyone else experienced this effect this year?

We didn't get the usual ''Drop'' about June time this year, but we have had
the thinning process start within the last fortnight. Don't know why its
been delayed but it might have something to do with the wet weather
providing the fruit with plenty of sap.

I had the June drop here...but then we did have a terrific gale.
Probably just another good year for fruit, I'm looking at a glut on
all fronts!

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 17-08-2004, 12:00 PM
Tim Challenger

wrote in message

My apple trees are carrying a heavy crop of apples - but a crop which
consists of an excessive number of small apples.
The 'June Drop' seems to have not happened this year.
This applies to all of my apple trees irrespective of tree size and
variety.
Has anyone else experienced this effect this year?

We didn't get the usual ''Drop'' about June time this year, but we have had
the thinning process start within the last fortnight. Don't know why its
been delayed but it might have something to do with the wet weather
providing the fruit with plenty of sap.

Even over here in Austria we've missed the June drop. Like vsop, the apples
are beginning to thin out a bit now, but it's not a real "drop". We has a
wet early summer as well, so it might well be that.

--
Tim C.

Old 17-08-2004, 05:03 PM
Kay

In article , Steve
Harris writes
In article ,
(vsop) wrote:

but we have had
the thinning process start within the last fortnight.

Same here. My Ashmeads Kernal is down to just 2 very small fruits :-(
But it's young yet.

Whereas I'm just getting the first full sized windfalls - a Worcester
which seems to be ripe, so I must pick those, a Herrings Pippin which is
nearly ripe, and an Allingtons Pippin which is nowhere near.

But it looks as if I'll be picking soon - hasn't this year gone quickly!
--
Kay