Old 22-08-2004, 02:54 PM
Leslie

Have you thought of moving? because I doubt you will ever solve the problem,
sad old world.

...............................Leslie

"Joe Fogey" wrote in message
You can get metapost type post holders that bolt into concrete. I don't

know
if they would work in tarmac - it might be worth a try.

Fogey

"Ben" wrote in message
I have an area of tarmac next to a public footpath. There used to be a
wooden fence but it was vandalised before I moved in and eventually
pulled down by the council (even though it was on my land). I'd like to
replace it, but don't much fancy the idea of digging up the tarmac to
put new fence posts in (is it as much work as it looks?) and fully
expect it would just be vandalised again anyway. The other idea I had
was to drill big holes in the tarmac and plant seedlings in the holes to
start a hedge, but I have no idea if this would work - how deep is
tarmac usually, and is there loads of hardcore underneath? Which idea
sounds least crazy?

Old 22-08-2004, 04:13 PM
Ben

Leslie wrote:
Have you thought of moving? because I doubt you will ever solve the problem,

The trouble is that I actually live in one of the nicer ("much sought
after" as estate agents would put it) areas. Where I live there are lots
of rough areas evenly distributed among the nice areas (or perhaps its
the other way round) so even if you're not in a bad area, you're never
far from one. I'm very attached to my house, but my contract at work has
come to an end and there doesn't look like much chance of getting
another one, so I may have to sell up anyway. I guess the thought of
getting away from the yobs will make the wrench a bit easier.

sad old world.

Reminds me of a line from an Ella Wheeler Wilcox poem;
"For the sad old earth must borrow its mirth,
But has trouble enough of its own"

I wonder if I could passify the yobs by reading poetry to them...
Old 22-08-2004, 04:16 PM
Mike

Does anyone know where you can buy seeds for triffids?

Don't know, but near to me we have a road sign which says 'Heavy Plant
Crossing', never seen any but I do keep a good lookout as I drive by, don't
want to be sat on by a heavy Dandelion

Mike

Old 22-08-2004, 08:02 PM
BillV

"Mike" wrote in message

Thats ridiculous, its only recently the police were saying don't use
barbed wire, you could be prosecuted, use a spiky hedge instead!

I go along with what you say, BUT, this is Parish Council property and we
'have' to look at all the problems which 'might' arise over any action we

do
:-((. The Council do have a £5m third party liability insurance, but don't
want take risks whereby a claim 'could' be made by their negligence. How
your household insurance would stand up I don't know.

When I enquired at the local cop shop about the legality of putting razor
wire on the top of my fence which borders a public footpath... They advised
planting of pyrocanthus instead..

Old 22-08-2004, 09:05 PM
Franz Heymann

"Ben" wrote in message
mike ring wrote:
Ben wrote in

reader03.plus.net:

Hence picket fence

with pointy top, or lowish spiky hedge. The house on the other

side of
the footpath has a hedge and it hasn't done the tarmac footpath

any
damage, although its planted in soil, not holes drilled into the

tarmac.

From what theu do to brick walls of front gardens, and fences

round here, I
would say get a good hedge in if you can.

For some reason they seem less attractive to vandals, and there

are some
good prickly ones, I know of pyrocanthus, which is a real thug,

and seems
bulletproof as well, and the birds love it in autumn - (I had the

care of
one once), but I expect the good folks here know of some more evil

species.

I was thinking of pyracantha, I've already planted some to stop them
climbing over a low fence and its vicious stuff :-) I guess, apart

from
being spiky, the main attraction of a hedge is that its

self-repairing.

Having just tidied up a pyracantha screening my oil tank, I can vouch
for its bloodletting abilities.
You might also consider one of the long-thorned berberises.

Franz

Old 22-08-2004, 11:12 PM
Pete C

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 09:54:44 +0100, Ben wrote:
Mike wrote:
I was thinking of pyracantha, I've already planted some to stop them
climbing over a low fence and its vicious stuff :-) I guess, apart from
being spiky, the main attraction of a hedge is that its self-repairing.

I don't know if it applies to private property, but we have been warned that
if we plant a 'barrier' hedge such as spiky things, we could be prosecuted
if anyone gets damaged or their clothes are torn etc etc in this PC
world:-(( . This is in connection with a public path of over 130 metres
long bounding a piece of land owned by the Parish Council.

Hi,

Might be possible to have a line of normal hedge with pyrocantha
behind it.

Thats ridiculous, its only recently the police were saying don't use
barbed wire, you could be prosecuted, use a spiky hedge instead! They'll
be demanding a foam covered bouncy castle next. I'm seriously annoyed
with the police round here at the moment. a small minority of them think
its unacceptable to smash people's garden fences up, but the majority
seem to view it as a civil matter and nothing to do with them. If I hear
one more police officer say "there's nothing we can do" I don't know
what I'll do, but I'll probably get arrested for it! What really takes
the biscuit is a colleague of mine who's car was vandalised was told by
the police that they don't chase after vandals any more, because all
that happens is they just run away! Can I have my tax back please?

Ask them if that was official policy. Then ask if they would respond
in the same way if a car or fence belonging to the cheif constable was
vandalised.

cheers,
Pete.
Old 23-08-2004, 10:04 AM
Martin Brown

In message , Franz Heymann
writes

"Ben" wrote in message
mike ring wrote:

From what theu do to brick walls of front gardens, and fences

[...]

Or hawthorn, or wild rose. If there is a decent length it is worth
planting in chunks of 6-8' all the same species to get some variety.
Pyracantha should be high up the list as it is moderately fast growing
too.

Allowing some fairly vicious rambling rose to scramble through an
ordinary boring hedge brightens it up with flowers and rose hips whilst
discouraging vandals from climbing through it. You may need some robust
low temporary fence in to allow them to get established.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown