Old 29-08-2004, 05:40 PM
Oxymel of Squill

Default moss ??

anyone know what to use to get rid of moss on asphalt path? Apparently there
was some good stuff until about 4 years ago when the EU banned in, but the
replacement I bought from the garden centre doesn't do anything.

cheers
Jon

Old 29-08-2004, 07:58 PM
redclay13

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
anyone know what to use to get rid of moss on asphalt path? Apparently

there
was some good stuff until about 4 years ago when the EU banned in, but the
replacement I bought from the garden centre doesn't do anything.

cheers
Jon

Moss grows in acid soil so just raise the pH to 7 or slightly above. One of
these liquid lime products might work. I sprinkle bicarb, sodium
bicarbonate-NaHCO3, on it and it goes brown in 24 hours. I use an old spice
bottle as a shaker.

Old 29-08-2004, 09:54 PM
Franz Heymann

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
anyone know what to use to get rid of moss on asphalt path?

Apparently there
was some good stuff until about 4 years ago when the EU banned in,

but the
replacement I bought from the garden centre doesn't do anything.

Algon killed the moss on my drive and garden walls stone dead in a few
days.

I bought it at a large garden centre.

Franz

Old 29-08-2004, 11:58 PM
Alan Welsh

Most moss is infolligable and can be
controlled using DDT or slug pellets.
Be aware though, that some mosses can actually
be beneficial in a garden so approach the
subject with caution.........

Alan

Old 30-08-2004, 06:33 AM
Franz Heymann

"Alan Welsh" wrote in message
Most moss is infolligable and can be
controlled using DDT or slug pellets.

DDT was banned decades ago Do you make your own? {:-))
The Brittanica and Wikipedia articles on DDT make interesting reading.

Be aware though, that some mosses can actually
be beneficial in a garden so approach the
subject with caution.........

That is interesting. Which mosses, and in what way?

Franz

Old 30-08-2004, 08:41 AM
Alan Welsh

Leptobryum pyriforme particularly likes to grow on garden soils.
It is a seedless non-vascular plant and reproduces by growing spores.
Although it's chiefly used to give a growth 'spurt' to oilseed rape, the
actual method of spore propogation is rather unusual....
It is *always* recommended to leave this kind of moss in-situ rather
than habitually destroying it which is most gardeners instinctive action.

Alan

Old 30-08-2004, 09:16 AM
Green

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 05:33:45 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

DDT was banned decades ago Do you make your own? {:-))

DDT is still used in large areas of the world to control malaria.

Noz
---
Email
I'd rather you replied here though. Thanks.
Old 30-08-2004, 03:45 PM
Franz Heymann

"Alan Welsh" wrote in message
Leptobryum pyriforme particularly likes to grow on garden soils.
It is a seedless non-vascular plant and reproduces by growing

spores.
Although it's chiefly used to give a growth 'spurt' to oilseed rape,

the
actual method of spore propogation is rather unusual....
It is *always* recommended to leave this kind of moss in-situ rather
than habitually destroying it which is most gardeners instinctive

action.

I don't grow oilseed rape, so what good does it confer on my garden?
How would I recognise Leptobryum pyriforme?
Is it a particularly uncommon moss? I ask because unless I looked
badly, it is not listed in the book "Grasses, Ferns, Mosses & Lichens
of Great Britain and Ireland" by Roger Phillips.

Franz

Old 30-08-2004, 03:45 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

DDT was banned decades ago Do you make your own? {:-))

DDT is still used in large areas of the world to control malaria.

Unfortunately you are right. I wonder whether the number of people
killed by the DDT is more oor less than the number which would have
been killed by malaria if it had not been used.
However, the question is rather academic, since is is banned in the
UK.

Franz

Old 30-08-2004, 08:31 PM
Franz Heymann

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:45:19 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Alan Welsh" wrote in message
[...]

Google finds it

http://www2002.stoke.gov.uk/museums/...keystage_4.htm

and
http://www.nps.gov/mora/notes/vol17-1-2e5.htm
"Leptobryum pyriforme (L.) Schimp. known as the Long-necked Bryum,

is
a beautiful form recognized by the long-necked capsules and slender
leaves. It frequents moist places along the Nisqually River Trail."

Thanks for the links. I now know more than before. But I am still
baffled about Alan Welsh's recommendation that this moss should be
left in situ on my garden soil.

Franz

Old 30-08-2004, 08:46 PM
Alan Welsh

I'll confess I don't fully understand the *actual*
benefit as I know Franz is *still* waiting for an
explanation (:-) but as far as I can tell it is
related to the osmosis of chalk in some way.....

Although..............
A patch of moss growing in your lawn is an indicator
of one or more of the following:

~ your lawn needs fertilization.
~ the area has poor drainage.
~ the soil is too acidic to support turf grasses.

But..........read on..........

Before you get out the fertilizer and soil amendments,
consider starting a moss garden.
Moss gardens are fairly easy to grow,
unusual to look at and have become
increasingly popular in recent years.

Alan

Old 30-08-2004, 09:40 PM
Franz Heymann

"Alan Welsh" wrote in message
I'll confess I don't fully understand the *actual*
benefit as I know Franz is *still* waiting for an
explanation (:-) but as far as I can tell it is
related to the osmosis of chalk in some way.....

I have my doubts about that. The words "osmosis" and "chalk" don't go
together very well.

Although..............
A patch of moss growing in your lawn is an indicator
of one or more of the following:

~ your lawn needs fertilization.

I haven't got a lawn. My moss is on the open ground and on walls.
A local nurseryman told me so too, so I applied liquid fertiliser in
the affected regions. That caused the
moss to have a real field day.

~ the area has poor drainage.

No. My garden is well drained.

~ the soil is too acidic to support turf grasses.

It is most likely that this is my problem. My garden is in one of the
sandstone levels of the Pennines and is somewhat on the acid side, but
not violently so. The pH lies somewhere in the region of 6.

But..........read on..........

Before you get out the fertilizer and soil amendments,
consider starting a moss garden.
Moss gardens are fairly easy to grow,
unusual to look at and have become
increasingly popular in recent years.

No thanks! There are plants which are a great deal more interesting
to me than moss.

Franz

Old 30-08-2004, 09:40 PM
Franz Heymann

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:31:48 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Alan Welsh" wrote in message
[...]

http://www2002.stoke.gov.uk/museums/...ion/keystage/c

ontent/moss-keystage_4.htm

and
http://www.nps.gov/mora/notes/vol17-1-2e5.htm
"Leptobryum pyriforme (L.) Schimp. known as the Long-necked

Bryum,
is
a beautiful form recognized by the long-necked capsules and

slender
leaves. It frequents moist places along the Nisqually River

Trail."

Thanks for the links. I now know more than before. But I am still
baffled about Alan Welsh's recommendation that this moss should be
left in situ on my garden soil.

I was hoping you would tell me the location of Nisqually River

Trail.
It doesn't pass through your garden does it :-)

A change of topic. Did you ever eat prickly pears Franz?

Yes, frequently.

Do they taste
good?

Yes, if they are decently ripe. The flavour is delicate and slightly
sweet.

I watched somebody on German TV this evening in a documentary
about Tenerife showing how to pick them without getting prickles in
your fingers. He also showed how to open up the fruit, but nobody
tried eating them.

The silly idiots.

Do be exceedingly careful when peeling them. Once the prickles have
penetrated your skin, it takes days to get rid of the irritation. I
handle
them with a knife and fork. Hold it with the fork
while you top and tail them, then make a longitudinal slice through
the skin and use the knife to open it wide enough to get your
fingertips in, and force the skin off. If the pp is ripe, the skin
comes off cleanly.

A word of warning: The pips are somewhat slow to be digested, so
never eat more than six at one go if you want to avoid being
constipated.

They do occasionally get into the supermarkets. I always keep an eye
open for them

But what is the connection between prickly pears and moss?
{:-))

Franz

Old 31-08-2004, 07:04 AM
Franz Heymann

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 20:40:20 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

A change of topic. Did you ever eat prickly pears Franz?

Yes, frequently.

Do they taste
good?

Yes, if they are decently ripe. The flavour is delicate and

slightly
sweet.

I watched somebody on German TV this evening in a documentary
about Tenerife showing how to pick them without getting prickles

in
your fingers. He also showed how to open up the fruit, but nobody
tried eating them.

The silly idiots.

Do be exceedingly careful when peeling them. Once the prickles

have
penetrated your skin, it takes days to get rid of the irritation.

Yes I know. :-((((

That was as far as I got with prickly pears growing wild outside an
old Spanish mission in Lompoc California.

handle
them with a knife and fork. Hold it with the fork
while you top and tail them, then make a longitudinal slice through
the skin and use the knife to open it wide enough to get your
fingertips in, and force the skin off. If the pp is ripe, the skin
comes off cleanly.

This guy removed the prickles by first beating the pears in situ

with
a bunch of leaves and twigs.

We just cut them with a sharp knife and let them fall on the ground.

The he cut off one at a time and rolled
them with is foot in the dust. This removed all the prickles.

True. I forgot that stage. It does not get rid of *all* the
prickles, but it does make them a little more handleable

He then
cut the top and tail off made a cut along the length of what was

left
and pealed off the skin.

That's what I said.

A word of warning: The pips are somewhat slow to be digested, so
never eat more than six at one go if you want to avoid being
constipated.

They do occasionally get into the supermarkets. I always keep an

eye
open for them

But what is the connection between prickly pears and moss?

Rolling stones?

{:-))

Franz