Old 31-08-2004, 03:32 PM
Paul D.Smith

Default Propogating Broom(e)?

All,

I have a white broom that is getting very leggy and apparently these don't
respond will to pruning so I'm trying to propogate it. Books say "semi-ripe
cuttings" or "seeds in August" but don't give a lot of detail so anyone done
this?

1. If from seed, any special requirements? I have some seed but all
attempts to make it germinate have thus far failed.

2. If from cuttings, about how long is a cutting? Mine would appear to need
to be quite long to get back to "hardening" growth.

Thanks for any pointers,
Paul DS.

--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Old 31-08-2004, 11:12 PM
Emrys Davies

'Paul',

They are easily raised from seed sown in pots during April and placed in
a cold frame. Prick out the seedlings singly into 3" pots and plunge
outdoors. Plant in permanent site in September.

Take cuttings 3"-4" long of lateral shoots with a heel in August or
September. Insert in equal parts (by volume) of compost and perlite in
a cold frame. When rooted pot on into 3" pots, plunge the pots outdoors
and transplant in September or October.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

. net...