Old 04-09-2004, 04:27 PM
Charlie Pridham

Default Slugs!

Although I have not beaten the slugs I have at least worked out how to live
with them on the surface, but this year we tried to grow some potatoes and
the little b*****s have been underground and eaten 50% (and made what's left
almost impossible to clean up) any suggestions amongst you experienced veg
growers as to how to stop it next year?
I should add that we can not move the bed they are to grow in as its
specially raised, our own soil being too high in Arsenic to want to grow
root veg direct in the ground (probably what caused our problems in the
first place as the raised bit is mostly composted veg matter. So do we give
up? or is there a solution (preferable not toxic!)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 04-09-2004, 06:38 PM
Green

You could look at using one of the nematode worm slug killers such as
described at

http://www.greengardener.co.uk/slug.htm

The RHS site mentions nematode worms too

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0700/slugs.asp

Shop around the net - or look at a garden centre - they will sell the
nematodes as a card you post off - you then receive the packet of live
powder direct from the supplier.

HTH

Noz

---
Email
I'd rather you replied here though. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:05 PM
Rod

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 16:27:12 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

Although I have not beaten the slugs I have at least worked out how to live
with them on the surface, but this year we tried to grow some potatoes and
the little b*****s have been underground and eaten 50% (and made what's left
almost impossible to clean up) any suggestions amongst you experienced veg
growers as to how to stop it next year?
I should add that we can not move the bed they are to grow in as its
specially raised, our own soil being too high in Arsenic to want to grow
root veg direct in the ground (probably what caused our problems in the
first place as the raised bit is mostly composted veg matter. So do we give
up? or is there a solution (preferable not toxic!)

They like some varieties more than others. Earlies are usually
harvested before the damage gets too bad. Most white maincrops are a
waste of time. Valor is a possible exception but it's a bit tasteless.
The red early maincrop Desiree was always my standby but it doesn't
crop as heavily as some more modern ones. Current favourite is Picasso
- white with red eyes.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:15 PM
Bob Hobden

"Charlie Pridham" wrote
Although I have not beaten the slugs I have at least worked out how to

live
with them on the surface, but this year we tried to grow some potatoes and
the little b*****s have been underground and eaten 50% (and made what's

left
almost impossible to clean up) any suggestions amongst you experienced veg
growers as to how to stop it next year?
I should add that we can not move the bed they are to grow in as its
specially raised, our own soil being too high in Arsenic to want to grow
root veg direct in the ground (probably what caused our problems in the
first place as the raised bit is mostly composted veg matter. So do we

give
up? or is there a solution (preferable not toxic!)
--

I know the feeling only too well Charlie, we have had as much as 90% thrown
away due to those little black ground slugs. This sort of damage is, to a

Which did you grow?

May I suggest the well known slug resistant Kestral, a second early white
with purple blotched skin.
This year we have also tried Romano an early maincrop red that is supposed
to be as good as Kestral at avoiding slugs, it isn't, but it's not bad. Bank
them up well.
Also trying Golden Wonder but early signs aren't good, the one I dug up
yesterday had only small spuds that had all been ruined by Woodlice,
thousands of them! I can't type what I said, ladies present.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 04-09-2004, 07:32 PM
Rod

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 19:15:01 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Bank them up well.
Also trying Golden Wonder but early signs aren't good, the one I dug up
yesterday had only small spuds that had all been ruined by Woodlice,
thousands of them! I can't type what I said, ladies present.

Golden Wonder is one of the worst.
Earthing up is something that's often dispensed with on deep beds - I
think that's a big mistake, it makes a huge difference to the amount
of slug damage - and to the number that go green.

Old 04-09-2004, 10:59 PM
tenchman

Hi group,
Had the same problem plus leatherjackets, all in all the crop was useless.
As I live back onto agricultural land I had a word with my local farmer (him
who gives me free muck).

He tells me that there is a commercial slug killer called "Drassa" or
somename like that, which needs spreading only twice a year to get rid of
all slugs and similar.

Problem.
Its only sold in commercial quantities and the smallest bag is a 100 Euros,
enough to last me five years.
Anyone else heard of this stuff? a 100 Euros is a lot to lash out on a few
spuds and cabbages without some foreknowledge.

David

Old 04-09-2004, 11:26 PM
tenchman

Hi group

Those pellets are Draza not drassa as I posted before.
Here's a link to them
http://www.bayercropscience.co.uk/ou...ec=272&con=319

Old 05-09-2004, 09:55 AM
GOOD GOLLY MISS mOLLY

"tenchman" wrote in message
Hi group

Those pellets are Draza not drassa as I posted before.
Here's a link to them
http://www.bayercropscience.co.uk/ou...ec=272&con=319

No doubt also killing wild birds and hedgehogs from poisoning when they eat
the carcasses. Nematodes are easily come by and harmless to other animals.
Taken from :
http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_...Rec_Id=PC35108

"Methiocarb is a high toxicity Carbamate compound. Report a Poisoning
Symptoms of Poisoning with high toxicity Carbamate Compounds Find Products
Containing this Chemical
High Toxicity Carbamate Pesticides:
- Malaise, muscle weakness, dizziness, and sweating.
- Headache, salivation, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea.
- Miosis with blurred vision, incoordination, muscle twitching and slurred
speech.
- In more severe cases: Central nervous system depression (coma, seizures
and hypotonicity), hypertension and cardiorespiratory depression. Also
dyspnea, bronchospasms and bronchorrhea with eventual pulmonary edema."

mmm sounds wonderful doesn't it?

You may be interested in this site which offers advice about natural
control of slugs. Also reports several cases of fatal poisoning using the
above mentioned chemical.
http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/homepest/slugs.htm

Old 05-09-2004, 02:15 PM
JP

Charlie Pridham wrote:
Although I have not beaten the slugs I have at least worked out how to live
with them on the surface, but this year we tried to grow some potatoes and
the little b*****s have been underground and eaten 50% (and made what's left
almost impossible to clean up) any suggestions amongst you experienced veg
growers as to how to stop it next year?
I should add that we can not move the bed they are to grow in as its
specially raised, our own soil being too high in Arsenic to want to grow
root veg direct in the ground (probably what caused our problems in the
first place as the raised bit is mostly composted veg matter. So do we give
up? or is there a solution (preferable not toxic!)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

I keep looking for a few hedgehogs for the garden!

Jason

--
********
Check out my ebay auctions for Passionflower seeds.

http://mmame063.topcities.com/abi.html

Old 05-09-2004, 05:44 PM
Bob Hobden

"Rod" wrote after me...

Bank them up well.
Also trying Golden Wonder but early signs aren't good, the one I dug up
yesterday had only small spuds that had all been ruined by Woodlice,
thousands of them! I can't type what I said, ladies present.

Golden Wonder is one of the worst.
Earthing up is something that's often dispensed with on deep beds - I
think that's a big mistake, it makes a huge difference to the amount
of slug damage - and to the number that go green.

I bank up spuds well but the Romano's could certainly done with even more as
we got a lot of green spuds growing on the stems in the air.
I sure I had read that Golden Wonder were Ok regarding slug damage,
obviously my source was wrong (or my memory).
So, who can recommend a maincrop white (ish) spud that is slug resistant and
a good keeper.

As for the biological anti-slug treatment, we used one last year without
much success, they are expensive too and you have to keep the ground rather
damp all the time you are using it, which in a normal year is difficult
here. Cheaper and less heartbreaking to buy a few sacks of Organic spuds.

Old 05-09-2004, 05:50 PM
Bob Hobden

"JP" wrote after...
Charlie Pridham wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately Hedgehogs don't get to eat these ground dwelling black slugs
much, we have lots on our allotments but still get dreadful damage to spuds.

Old 05-09-2004, 05:56 PM
Bob Hobden

"GOOD GOLLY MISS mOLLY" wrote after
"tenchman" wrote
Those pellets are Draza not drassa as I posted before.
Here's a link to them
http://www.bayercropscience.co.uk/ou...ec=272&con=319

No doubt also killing wild birds and hedgehogs from poisoning when they

eat
the carcasses. Nematodes are easily come by and harmless to other animals.

In my experience harmless to these ground dwelling slugs too, and I paid
over £25. to find that out last year, and it was one of the driest/hottest
summers on record here which should have been anti-slug in itself.
A bit like that bird friendly slug powder, from my observations both useless
and expensive.

Old 06-09-2004, 12:03 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

I keep looking for a few hedgehogs for the garden!

Unfortunately Hedgehogs don't get to eat these ground dwelling black slugs
much, we have lots on our allotments but still get dreadful damage to

spuds.

--
Regards
Bob
in Runnymede, 17miles west of London, UK

Many thanks to all who have replied, I have read all the posts, seems
growing something else at least next year and changing variety when we next
try again is favourite! (what do the underground black slugs live on if
there are no spuds?)
In the mean time we have a great crop of Onions and shallots which we do
seem able to grow and I have replaced the potatoes with leeks! (clematis are
definitely easier :~)

Old 06-09-2004, 02:02 PM
GOOD GOLLY MISS mOLLY

"JP" wrote in message
Charlie Pridham wrote:
[...]

If you contact your nearest wildlife hospital they are always looking for
safe release sites for hedgehogs.

Old 06-09-2004, 07:12 PM
JP

GOOD GOLLY MISS mOLLY wrote:
"JP" wrote in message

Charlie Pridham wrote:

[...]

It's only be safe if I keep the gate closed!

Jason

--
********