Old 10-09-2004, 12:30 AM
Sacha

Default New Zealand spinach

We've been given a dustbin liner filled with this. The giver suggested we
make soup from it but what I want to know from anyone who grows this, is, do
we use the stalks, some part of the stalk, discard all of the stalks?
Anyone know?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 10-09-2004, 09:00 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sacha wrote:
We've been given a dustbin liner filled with this. The giver suggested we
make soup from it but what I want to know from anyone who grows this, is, do
we use the stalks, some part of the stalk, discard all of the stalks?
Anyone know?

In my view, all parts can be used, and are best composted.

You don't normally use the stalk, but can as far as I know. I used
to grow it, but each my spinach-loving wife didn't like it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:18 AM
Sacha

On 10/9/04 9:00, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha wrote:
We've been given a dustbin liner filled with this. The giver suggested we
make soup from it but what I want to know from anyone who grows this, is, do
we use the stalks, some part of the stalk, discard all of the stalks?
Anyone know?

In my view, all parts can be used, and are best composted.

Oh dear!

You don't normally use the stalk, but can as far as I know. I used
to grow it, but each my spinach-loving wife didn't like it.

The chap who grows it on a nearby allotment says he started it because it
doesn't bolt like ordinary spinach but that he now has a jungle of it! I
think we'll have to at least try the soup idea because he's going to ask
what we think of it!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 10-09-2004, 09:41 AM
David Hill

I seem to remember growing New Zealand spinach about 40 yrs ago. If I
remember the leaves are thicker than the ordinary varieties.
If picked young they are just as good as any other variety.
From memory I believe that it was grown chiefly as it was the best variety
for freezing.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 10-09-2004, 09:59 AM
Sacha

On 10/9/04 9:41, in article , "David Hill"
wrote:

I seem to remember growing New Zealand spinach about 40 yrs ago. If I
remember the leaves are thicker than the ordinary varieties.
If picked young they are just as good as any other variety.
From memory I believe that it was grown chiefly as it was the best variety
for freezing.

That's the stuff. The friend who gave it to us said that it cooks down to
give more bulk than normal spinach - if that sentence makes any sense!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 10-09-2004, 10:39 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| On 10/9/04 9:41, in article , "David Hill"
| wrote:
|
| I seem to remember growing New Zealand spinach about 40 yrs ago. If I
| remember the leaves are thicker than the ordinary varieties.
| If picked young they are just as good as any other variety.
| From memory I believe that it was grown chiefly as it was the best variety
| for freezing.
|
| That's the stuff. The friend who gave it to us said that it cooks down to
| give more bulk than normal spinach - if that sentence makes any sense!

It does and it does.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-09-2004, 03:55 PM
Tim Tyler

Sacha wrote or quoted:

We've been given a dustbin liner filled with this. The giver suggested we
make soup from it but what I want to know from anyone who grows this, is, do
we use the stalks, some part of the stalk, discard all of the stalks?

Stalks are usually second rate plant material in my book.

I even rip veins out of leaves - to give myself proportionally more
green leafy matter.

However, as stalks go, NZ spinach stalks are pretty innocuous.

I eat my NZ spinach in salads.

If you are processing it, the stalk issue is likely to be even less relevant.
--
__________
Old 10-09-2004, 06:28 PM
Rod

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 00:30:15 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

We've been given a dustbin liner filled with this. The giver suggested we
make soup from it but what I want to know from anyone who grows this, is, do
we use the stalks, some part of the stalk, discard all of the stalks?
Anyone know?

My chief recollection of it, apart from it's propensity to cover
ground at a rate of knots is that it's a real bore to pick. The leaves
are quite small so if you're feeding any number of people it takes
forever to pick.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:56 PM
len gardener

g'day sacha,

i pick the young growing tips and down to about the 4th leaf, and cook
and eat all of that. if i pick any further down i usually don't bother
with the stem just the leaves. they can be used in salads as well.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.