Old 13-09-2004, 09:31 PM
kenty ;-\)

Default conifer hedge clipping uses?

Does anyone have any good uses for conifer hedge clippings?
--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

Old 13-09-2004, 10:59 PM
bnd777

Dry them out they will be good for starting a fire to get rid of every
Lelandii thats blighting others lives

Old 13-09-2004, 11:20 PM
Basia Kulesz

Użytkownik "kenty ;-)" napisał w wiadomo¶ci
| Does anyone have any good uses for conifer hedge clippings?

Mulch - especially good for azaleas and the like. The plants must get an
additional dose of nitrogen, though. Of course, you might like to compost
them first.

Regards, B.

Old 13-09-2004, 11:26 PM
keith Alexander

If there is not a lot Shred them and use as a mulch
Very good for uses around Hostas, heathers etc, in fact I am sure the slugs
have been deterred by the needles
if you don't have a shredder then run the mower over them first.
I use my Tractor mower for this as I normally would end up spending too long
feeding the shredder

I have probably 300ft of conifer hedges and hundreds of feet of mixed native
hedging I spread the stuff all over the place or stock pile it for use later
on, separated from the normal compost bins

also they are excellent for use over black membrane as garden paths and much
cheaper than bark or gravel, or as an insulating mulch for tender plants
Fuchsias Dahlias etc benefit from a heap (12" plus) on them and then will
not need lifting..

Old 14-09-2004, 07:56 AM
Martin Brown

In message , "kenty ;-)"
writes
Does anyone have any good uses for conifer hedge clippings?

Mix it into the compost heap grass cuttings or use as a green mulch to
keep weeds down. Sometimes they steam and smell strongly of oil of
wintergreen if you get them composting hot enough in bulk.

Thick woody stuff may take a very long while in a cold heap.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown

Old 14-09-2004, 10:20 AM
Neil Jones

"kenty ;-)" wrote in message
Does anyone have any good uses for conifer hedge clippings?
--

A friend of mine has his yew hedge cut by a pharmaceutical company each
year because they use the cuttings to produce some anti-cancer treatment

Old 14-09-2004, 10:46 AM
Des Higgins

"Neil Jones" wrote in message

"kenty ;-)" wrote in message
Does anyone have any good uses for conifer hedge clippings?
--

A friend of mine has his yew hedge cut by a pharmaceutical company each
year because they use the cuttings to produce some anti-cancer treatment
apparently. This would seem to be an excellent use of hedge clippings...

That is to make Taxol (or something related) which comes from yew (Taxus).
Yew is native and makes magnificent hedges.

Other conifer hedges are not so useful and respond extremely well to severe
cutting back (to ground level every year)
and some even like to be burned occasionally (wait until a long dry spell
and use petrol liberally).
It will make a world of difference and you will thank me.

Old 14-09-2004, 11:55 AM
Joanne

"kenty ;-)" wrote in message
Does anyone have any good uses for conifer hedge clippings?
--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

If you're into crafts, you could make a seasonal wreath to hang on the door,
or use the clippings in various floral arrangements.

Old 14-09-2004, 09:29 PM
kenty ;-\)

Thanks for the comments everyone,apart from the two knuckle heads ; -)
bnd777 & Des Higgins.
There's nothing wrong with conifer if it is planted in the right place,this
goes for any plant!. I inherited the hedge when I moved into my house,it
looks better than a fence, is a good wind break & is green all year round
providing a good background, what more can you ask for.Its not the conifers
fault some shit for brains decide to plant them blocking there neighbours
lovely south facing terrace .Any plant/tree or shrub would cause the same
problem if planted without any forethought.

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.