Old 15-10-2004, 05:22 PM
Mike

Is it "correct" to promote a commercial website when using a Newsgroup ?

and once again an ordinary plain straight forward question, has the 'Net
Nannies' rising on their hind legs shouting off in a manner more akin to the
House of Commons.

"Gardening" the peaceful past time of thousands.

but not on urg :-((

Old 15-10-2004, 06:51 PM
Phil L

Mike wrote:
::: Is it "correct" to promote a commercial website when using a
::: Newsgroup ?
:::
:::
:::
::
:: and once again an ordinary plain straight forward question, has
:: the 'Net Nannies' rising on their hind legs shouting off in a
:: manner more akin to the House of Commons.
::
:: "Gardening" the peaceful past time of thousands.
::
:: but not on urg :-((

You seem obsessed with net nannies!...some people agree, some disagree, it's
called 'the human race'

HTH

Old 15-10-2004, 07:33 PM
Cereus-longispinus

Sorry Philpot but Mike is correct.

The fastidious "Net Nannies" in this ng with delusions of godhood who think
they own it are unable to answer the simple question.

Its because those arrogant troll hypocrites would be forced to admit to
admit they are violating their own edict and are spamming the ng with their
every posting.

Off with their pin heads!!!

Old 15-10-2004, 08:16 PM
Mike

:::
You seem obsessed with net nannies!...some people agree, some disagree,

it's
called 'the human race'

HTH

:-))

OOooooooooo!!

Touched a raw nerve have we?

What are you a Traffic Warden? Special Constable?

Why, why, why do people have to have a 'POWER' jerk?

I suppose you go round checking tax discs and the like!!

Old 16-10-2004, 12:46 AM
Cereus-longispinus

Better yet, hang them in effigy in the town square!!!

That arrogant bore Sacha will go first.

"Jim Webster" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:33:45 GMT, "Cereus-longispinus"
wrote:

Sorry Philpot but Mike is correct.

The fastidious "Net Nannies" in this ng with delusions of godhood who

think
they own it are unable to answer the simple question.

Its because those arrogant troll hypocrites would be forced to admit to
admit they are violating their own edict and are spamming the ng with

their
every posting.

Off with their pin heads!!!

Run the scum out of town I say.

"Phil L" wrote in message
k...

--
*******************
*You can't win 'em all.*

Newsgroup ettiquette
1) Tell everyone the Trolls don't bother you.
2) Say you've killfiled them, yet continue to respond.
3) Tell other people off who repsond despite doing so yourself.
4) Continually talk about Trolls while maintaining
they're having no effect.
5) Publicly post killfile rules so the Trolls know
how to avoid them.
6) Make lame legal threats and other barrel scraping
manoeuvres when your abuse reports are ignored.
7) Eat vast quantities of pies.
8) Forget to brush your teeth for several decades.
9) Help a demon.local poster with their email while
secretly reading it.
10) Pretend you're a hard ******* when in fact you're
as bent as a roundabout.
11) Become the laughing stock of Usenet like Mabbet
12) Die of old age
13) Keep paying Dr Chartham his fees and hope one day you
will have a penis the girls can see.

We have received an allegation that you have posted an article/s to
newsgroups

demon.local,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.pol itics.animals,

uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,sc ot.birds,uk.rec.gardening,
uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.fishing.coarse,sci. agriculture.poultry
and others] which our external solicitors
believe to bear a defamatory meaning and as such we have had to remove
the article from our servers.

The part in question is the comment "Jim is a fraud, a liar and
a cheat." as well as some other comments in your article.

We cannot and do not make any judgement as to whether such material is
defensible. However, the state of the law at the moment means that if
we are put on notice that defamatory material is being published through
our systems, Thus plc may be liable for damages, along with you, if it
does not take action to prevent that material being published. Those
damages could be substantial and we could both incur heavy legal
expenses.

In addition, the current state of the law could leave Thus plc
liable if it failed to take action and you disseminated any further
material through our systems which was later found to be defamatory.

While we do not necessarily agree with the current legal position we
must accept it, and have therefore removed the posting in question.

Please reply to this email acknowledging that you understand the problem
and that you will not, in future, publish further material which
could be considered defamatory of Jim through Demon's systems.

We attach below a suggested form of acknowledgement for your
convenience.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF RECEIPT

I acknowledge receipt of your email and confirm that I understand your
explanation of the legal situation regarding material which is
considered defamatory.

I confirm that I will not publish such material in future using my Demon
service, and will not publish further material which could be considered
defamatory of Jim.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Demon Legal Team.

provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with

Title
profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the

included
subscribing to USENET newsgroups or visiting web sites. For more

information
go to:www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.

Old 16-10-2004, 08:49 AM
Mike

Is it "correct" to promote a commercial website when using a Newsgroup

?

Goodness Me, Begorrrrrrrrrrrrrrahs.

Seems I have opened up another can of worms (He He) with this one.

Many thanks for the relevant responses.

However, I have never quite experienced a NG like this one.
Twice now I have posted serious questions only to find the 'thread drift'
and abuses beyond belief.
Will the net nannies out there please live and let live. You really do

have
serious problems.

I think many readers will agree that there is a need for "A" net nanny to
oversee the charter of a newsgroup, even if a pointer is made each
week/month to the Charter. "A" net nanny who can act with a bit of tact and
not a dozen each armed with a sledge hammer. The danger of the sledge hammer
tactic, as seen so often in this newsgroup, can backfire as it did in the
uk.local.birmingham newsgroup where a very strict virtually 24 hour sledge
hammer was wielded with as much tact as a bull in a china shop. That
newsgroup had two fingers stuck up at it and the trolls, the trash and the
stupid ran amok, ruining that newsgroup and it overflowed into other
newsgroups, such as here

There is a way of pointing out a charter and in other newsgroups I visit and
it works. If the charter does have to be pointed out, someone usually does
it with a bit of tact and decorum. Somehow this newsgroup does not have it,
more's the pity. The trouble with this newsgroup is that it is 'owned' by a
few and if things don't go how they like it, or if you are not invited into
the "Inner Sanctum Sanctorum", then you can expect quite hostile remarks
thrown at you.

I have been the victim of a net nanny, so I know what I am talking about.

There now follows a tirade against me.

Mike

Old 16-10-2004, 11:57 AM
Paul Rooney

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 11:35:12 +0100, Jim Webster
wrote:

Demon Legal Team.

Cracked!

--
Paul {Hamilton Rooney}

Former owner of the newsgroup demon.local

"Chris {Hamilton Hill} will certainly post the appropriate email if required" - J {Hamilton K}
"What sort of proof would you like? I could post the email from Demon's
legal team, complete with headers" - Chris {Hamilton Hill}
Oho!
Old 16-10-2004, 12:22 PM
Mike

..
"Cereus-longispinus" wrote in message
. com...
Run for the hills, Mike, because you didn't kiss Sacha's ass!!!

I run nowhere from anybody, and please do not use foul language, it is a
sign of a lack of understanding of the English Language and is the language
of school boys behind the bike shed. Please don't stoop that low. I have no
respect for any person using such language.

Mike

Old 16-10-2004, 02:29 PM
Mike

..

Cracked!

It is!

Very much so!! They jump to conclusions first that 'their' customer is
wrong!! Customer support? To coin a phrase, 'I think not'

Old 16-10-2004, 05:21 PM
Mike

Demon Legal are a bunch of poof's.

I find that a very interesting statement under the circumstances

(No I am not. I am a normal heterosexual, but ......)

Old 16-10-2004, 08:54 PM
Paul Rooney

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 16:21:39 +0000 (UTC), "Mike" wrote:

Demon Legal are a bunch of poof's.

I find that a very interesting statement under the circumstances

(No I am not. I am a normal heterosexual, but ......)

But...... what? Come on, Mike - are you trying to 'come out' here?

Old 16-10-2004, 11:37 PM
Cereus-longispinus

Alrighty then.

Walk briskly toward the hills, Mike, because you didn't smooch Sacha's
derriere!!!

You don't like fowl language? What are you, CHICKEN?

.

Old 16-10-2004, 11:41 PM
Cereus-longispinus

Actually just south of the Mason-Dixon line.

You are sadly mistaken, Nick Mick.
My farts are new and exciting!!! Want another whiff?

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 11:22:43 +0000 (UTC), "Mike" wrote:

--
.
"Cereus-longispinus" wrote in message
.com...
Run for the hills, Mike, because you didn't kiss Sacha's ass!!!

I run nowhere from anybody, and please do not use foul language, it is a
sign of a lack of understanding of the English Language and is the

language
of school boys behind the bike shed. Please don't stoop that low. I have

no
respect for any person using such language.

Mike

**** off you boring old fart. Must be a mason.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.