Old 14-10-2004, 12:47 PM
Mike Lyle

David Hill wrote:
[...nuisance message snipped...]

I think you have forgotten what Spam is [...sound comment snipped

for space...]

Perhaps you haven't met Cereus. He seems to be one of those it's
often best not to feed. His shtick is disruption, and I now see his
messages only when somebody quotes them.

Mike.

Old 14-10-2004, 01:05 PM
David Hill

Mike wrote "....... Perhaps you haven't met Cereus. He seems to be one of
those it's often best not to feed. His shtick is disruption, and I now see
his messages only when somebody quotes them. ......."

Oh I know him of old despite his several name changes.
When it comes to a knowledge of plant names and identification I must say he
is second to none amongst the groups ............. But ........ if only he
wasn't such an acid person.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 14-10-2004, 01:18 PM
Bob Hobden

"David Hill" wrote (quoting someone in my "Blocked senders list )

I think you have forgotten what Spam is,(Unsolicited commercial email
(UCE),
more commonly known as "Spam,") and that is one thing that Sacha has never
done, also I don't think I have once come across her plugging her husbands
nursery, it is linked on her tab line as is many other peoples businesses
and interests.
Without people with a lot of gardening experience, be it commercial or as
keen armature then this and other gardening groups would be of no use or
interest to anybody.
It,s just a pity that people who have much to contribute as well as a lot
of
total time wasters, have decided that it is clever to be totaly obnoxious
and insulting to people they have never meet and who do so much to promote
gardening.
I always thought that this was a group for Adults, but seems to be more
and
more spoiled brats talking over.
Lets get back to gardening related topics and leave all the rest of the
crap
for the compost heap.

I'm with you David. I give people a few chances to redeem themselves after
unsolicited nastiness otherwise they go plonk. Disagreement and discussion
is good but there is no call for simple uncouth rudeness.
So, to me, this Ng is the same as ever just that a few of the excellent
regulars aren't here anymore.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 14-10-2004, 01:29 PM
Cereus-longispinus

Its just that I don't take kindly to the self righteous fools like Sacha and
her ilk trying to tell everyone else that they should all be just like them.

They just don't live up to their delusions of godhood no matter how much
they babble on about how wonderful they are.

They are the real enemies that are killing the newsgroups.

Old 14-10-2004, 03:34 PM
Sacha

On 14/10/04 13:18, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"David Hill" wrote (quoting someone in my "Blocked senders list )

snip
I always thought that this was a group for Adults, but seems to be more
and
more spoiled brats talking over.
Lets get back to gardening related topics and leave all the rest of the
crap
for the compost heap.

I'm with you David. I give people a few chances to redeem themselves after
unsolicited nastiness otherwise they go plonk. Disagreement and discussion
is good but there is no call for simple uncouth rudeness.
So, to me, this Ng is the same as ever just that a few of the excellent
regulars aren't here anymore.

Quite a few, sadly. We've almost lost one ex-professional who is now a very
knowledgeable non-professional; we have lost one who was a professional
garden writer; we have lost some very knowledgeable amateur gardeners that I
can think of and two other very expert amateurs rarely post now. And to the
best of my knowledge all of those (bar one other professional who has other
reasons as well) give the reasons I have raised before.
For those who wish to discuss the subjects that morph into newly
'fashionable' and increasingly long and irrelevant threads, why can't those
go to email? Is it the potential lack of an audience that prevents that?
At one time the email route would have been the norm for urg and if it
hadn't happened, several people would have posted suggesting - *very*
strongly - that it did!
The problem with kill filing, to be frank, is that some of those who appear
to enjoy these prolonged nit-picky discussions are also people who have a
good deal to offer to the group in other ways. I don't want to miss their
every post.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 14-10-2004, 05:05 PM
Bob Hobden

"Sacha" wrote ...
[...]

Well it is true there are some "old" regulars that are rarely seen these
days, and I can think of two across the pond and a very knowledgeable Tree
man from Essex amongst others.
Indeed all the "old" regulars seem not to post as much as they used to and
whilst it may be to do with the unpleasant tone and language of some posts
we see and the constant sad trolls, it may just be that the "oldies" are
getting a bit tired of answering almost the same questions time and again
and are leaving it to others. I have been guilty of that myself and only got
involved if/when I think the answer is not complete.
The missing "experienced posters"may still lurk here though, who knows?
As for the long pointless discussions, I try not to get involved. :-)
My Blocked Senders List is only for those I consider to have no manners or a
different agenda to URG so I don't miss much I might want to see. Some have
criticised folk for using their BSLs but I wouldn't want to talk or listen
to some uncouth louts I see in the pub either, same thing.

Old 14-10-2004, 05:33 PM
Bob Hobden

"Eric" wrote ...
it may just be that the "oldies" are
getting a bit tired of answering almost the same questions time and again
and are leaving it to others.

Maybe they are gardening quietly in Heaven.

Yes, sadly that also may be true Eric.

Old 14-10-2004, 08:19 PM
JennyC

"Bob Hobden" wrote
Well it is true there are some "old" regulars that are rarely seen these
days, and I can think of two across the pond and a very knowledgeable Tree
man from Essex amongst others.

I think that you will find that work, family and RL have gotten in the way for a
lot of us 'old' URGlers :~))
I find i only have time to whizz though the posts and teh amount of spam and
'nasties' has indeed put me of of late.
Jenny

Old 14-10-2004, 08:41 PM
Phil L

St. George wrote:
:: Is it "correct" to promote a commercial website when using a
:: Newsgroup ?

In OE, go to toolsoptionssignatures
create a new signature
type in the name of your website and make sure it's added to all outgoing
messages, click apply.

when you send messages to this or any other group, the web address will be
underneath your main text...

--
like this!

Old 14-10-2004, 11:04 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , JennyC
writes

"Bob Hobden" wrote
Well it is true there are some "old" regulars that are rarely seen these
days, and I can think of two across the pond and a very knowledgeable Tree
man from Essex amongst others.

I think that you will find that work, family and RL have gotten in the
way for a
lot of us 'old' URGlers :~))

Indeed, this year hasn't seen much action on the garden front itself
here, let alone talking about it. I don't think the 'loss' - because of
course we don't know who is lurking - of old regulars is anymore than on
other groups I read, it's a natural part of life. I'm more of a regular
on other groups at the moment, I'll probably drift back to urg in the
future as things in life change - like a new house with bigger garden
hopefully - already dreaming of my polytunnel :-)

Right now a pregnant wife (23 days and counting) who has been working
away from home for the last 6-7 weeks or so, a house to get ready for
selling soon, and a 3 year old take up plenty of time...

I find i only have time to whizz though the posts and teh amount of spam and
'nasties' has indeed put me of of late.

spam and drivel doesn't worry me, a mixture of ignorance and a kill
rules deal with that
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 15-10-2004, 12:35 AM
Cereus-longispinus

Then Sacha definitely will never hear from them again because she is going
to that other place!!!

"Eric" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:05:37 +0100, I found this from "Bob Hobden"
:

it may just be that the "oldies" are
getting a bit tired of answering almost the same questions time and

again
and are leaving it to others.

Maybe they are gardening quietly in Heaven.

Eric

Old 15-10-2004, 12:38 AM
Cereus-longispinus

Not it doesn't. Can still make fun of your sorry ass. Only difference is
everybody can see it except those dimwits who have their killfile instead of
brains.

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:34:20 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

The problem with kill filing, to be frank, is that some of those who

appear
to enjoy these prolonged nit-picky discussions are also people who have a
good deal to offer to the group in other ways. I don't want to miss

their
every post.

Kill file on the subject solves this problem.
--
Martin

Old 15-10-2004, 12:41 AM
Cereus-longispinus

My knowledge is far more accurate than yours has ever been, you wannabe
skank. I usually include links to back up what I say. All you provide is
useless tripe and a shitty attitude, you biatch.

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

Oh I know him of old despite his several name changes.
When it comes to a knowledge of plant names and identification I must

say he
is second to none amongst the groups

That's what he claims. I'm very surprised, David, that you haven't
noticed how often his so-called plant "knowledge" is hopelessly
inaccurate.

Janet.