Old 13-10-2004, 02:10 PM
Joanne

Default Damn those Vine Weevil

Once again, my strawberries in pots are absolutely writhing with vine weevil
grubs. I used new soil, new plants from a reputable source, and watched out
for signs of the pest. But as usual, all of a sudden the plants keeled
over, so I knew immediately what the problem was. I've washed the soil from
the plants and re-potted them, but don't hold out much hope.

Bio-Provado says it should not be used on edibles, so what the heck can I
use to keep these pests away?

Old 13-10-2004, 02:22 PM
shazzbat

"Joanne" wrote in message
Once again, my strawberries in pots are absolutely writhing with vine

weevil
grubs. I used new soil, new plants from a reputable source, and watched

out
for signs of the pest. But as usual, all of a sudden the plants keeled
over, so I knew immediately what the problem was. I've washed the soil

from
the plants and re-potted them, but don't hold out much hope.

Bio-Provado says it should not be used on edibles, so what the heck can I
use to keep these pests away?

Hopefully you will be ok now, the weevils have already produced their larvae
for this year, and now you have dealt with them your plants can recover. As
for your first paragraph, using new soil etc is no good against vine weevil,
the adults simply climb into your containers. They can't fly, but are world
class at clambering/climbing.

Steve

Old 13-10-2004, 05:15 PM
Charlie Pridham

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Joanne" wrote in message
[...]

You have a couple of options, 1, use the nematodes, expensive but works well
in pots if done as required. 2, commercial strawberry growers use a kind of
sticky tape a bit like grease band if they are growing in growbags and pots
it stops the adults getting onto the plants (you must of course start with
clean plants and compost and not provide any way around the sticky obstacle
like overhanging plants etc) they also use bantams in the tunnels (except
while plants are fruiting ) these keep adult numbers down, toads and frogs
will likewise eat lots (but not all)
Good luck :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.