Old 16-10-2004, 06:27 PM
Joanne

Default Slightly OT-Feeding Birds

Here's a stupid question -- when they say you can feed bacon rind to birds,
do you have to cook the bacon, or if it's raw do you have to chop it into
little bits, or what?

Thanks.

Old 16-10-2004, 06:56 PM
JennyC

"Joanne" wrote in message
Here's a stupid question -- when they say you can feed bacon rind to birds,
do you have to cook the bacon, or if it's raw do you have to chop it into
little bits, or what?

Thanks.

You can cut it up and put it on the bird tables but I hang mine up as raw
strips - they hang on to these and are very acrobatic to watch :~))

Jenny

Old 16-10-2004, 07:07 PM
Joanne

"JennyC" wrote in message
Here's a stupid question -- when they say you can feed bacon rind to

birds,
do you have to cook the bacon, or if it's raw do you have to chop it

into
little bits, or what?

You can cut it up and put it on the bird tables but I hang mine up as raw
strips - they hang on to these and are very acrobatic to watch :~))

Thanks, Jenny. I've just made spaghetti carbonara, so I'll save the rind
and put it out tomorrow. I don't want to put it out tonight in case it
attracts mice.

Old 16-10-2004, 08:30 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"Joanne" wrote in message
Here's a stupid question -- when they say you can feed bacon rind to

birds,
do you have to cook the bacon, or if it's raw do you have to chop it into
little bits, or what?

It is best not to feed bacon to birds IMO as it contains salt among other
nasties. Salt kills birds.

Old 17-10-2004, 12:15 AM
James

"Joanne" wrote in message
Here's a stupid question -- when they say you can feed bacon rind to

birds,
do you have to cook the bacon, or if it's raw do you have to chop it into
little bits, or what?

Thanks.

Not a stupid question IMHO Joanne

People think they are being kind in this sort of way, but 9 times out of ten
they are killing off our feathered friends.
My advice is to use google to find the RSPB site and ask there.
and then let us all know what you found.
another trick is to use logic, but I think sometimes we have a fuzzy logic
installed in our brains as well.

:-)

--

Ukjay

Old 17-10-2004, 12:04 PM

Message from James on Sun, 17 Oct 2004 00:15:36
Slightly OT-Feeding Birds:

"Joanne" wrote in message
Here's a stupid question -- when they say you can feed bacon rind to

birds,
do you have to cook the bacon, or if it's raw do you have to chop it into
little bits, or what?

Thanks.

Not a stupid question IMHO Joanne

People think they are being kind in this sort of way, but 9 times out of ten
they are killing off our feathered friends.
My advice is to use google to find the RSPB site and ask there.
and then let us all know what you found.
another trick is to use logic, but I think sometimes we have a fuzzy logic
installed in our brains as well.

I would have thought that most wildlife instinctively know what's good
and safe to eat.

Old 17-10-2004, 03:18 PM
James

. ..

"Joanne" wrote in message
Here's a stupid question -- when they say you can feed bacon rind to

birds,
do you have to cook the bacon, or if it's raw do you have to chop it

into
little bits, or what?

Thanks.

Not a stupid question IMHO Joanne

People think they are being kind in this sort of way, but 9 times out of

ten
they are killing off our feathered friends.
My advice is to use google to find the RSPB site and ask there.
and then let us all know what you found.
another trick is to use logic, but I think sometimes we have a fuzzy

logic
installed in our brains as well.

I would have thought that most wildlife instinctively know what's good
and safe to eat.
--

I think you are wrong there M8?
I seem to recall bread can be a problem, and I'm sure little birdie

--

Ukjay

Old 17-10-2004, 03:57 PM
Franz Heymann

. ..

"Joanne" wrote in message
Here's a stupid question -- when they say you can feed bacon rind

birds,
do you have to cook the bacon, or if it's raw do you have to chop

it into
little bits, or what?

Thanks.

Not a stupid question IMHO Joanne

People think they are being kind in this sort of way, but 9 times

out of ten
they are killing off our feathered friends.
My advice is to use google to find the RSPB site and ask there.
and then let us all know what you found.
another trick is to use logic, but I think sometimes we have a

fuzzy logic
installed in our brains as well.

I would have thought that most wildlife instinctively know what's

good
and safe to eat.

Many hedgehogs are regularly killed by people putting out unsuitable
food like bread and milk for them.

Franz

Old 17-10-2004, 10:15 PM
Martin Sykes

wrote in message
. ..
I would have thought that most wildlife instinctively know what's good
and safe to eat.

People don't seem to so why should the birds be any better? ;-)

Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 17-10-2004, 10:31 PM
ex WGS Hamm

. ..

"Joanne" wrote in message
Here's a stupid question -- when they say you can feed bacon rind to

birds,
do you have to cook the bacon, or if it's raw do you have to chop it

into
little bits, or what?

Thanks.

Not a stupid question IMHO Joanne

People think they are being kind in this sort of way, but 9 times out of

ten
they are killing off our feathered friends.
My advice is to use google to find the RSPB site and ask there.
and then let us all know what you found.
another trick is to use logic, but I think sometimes we have a fuzzy

logic
installed in our brains as well.

I would have thought that most wildlife instinctively know what's good
and safe to eat.
--

You are wrong I'm afraid. Animals and birds will scoff ultra fatty stuff or
salty stuff. Salt kills a bird very quickly. I keep parrots so am a bit
careful as to what I feed.(40+ expensive parrots). My sister once fed her
beloved hens some avocado thinking she was giving them an expensive treat.
She got up next day, opened the henhouse to find all her hens dead. Yes,
avocado is poisonous to most birds and animals. I once had a rescue dog raid
the bin and eat avocado peelings and chewed the stone. I didn't realise what
he had done until I found him comatose the next morning. Prompt and
expensive action from a vet saved him and it was only because I found the
chewed stone and remains of peel that I knew what he had done.
Animals have no sixth sense as to what might kill them, especially in deep
winter when they are starving and need vast amounts of food to survive.
The best things to put on a bird table are, sunflower seeds(cheap to buy
and a source of fat to make calories to keep warm) suet ,ditto,unsalted
nuts, fruit and things like cooked vegetable scraps as long as they are not
cooked with salt.
I admit to being a softy. I have 3 bird tables and buy a sack of sunflower
seed, a smaller bag of peanuts, and a sack of budgie seed at the start of
winer. I mix them together with some of the mixed corn I feed my chickens
on. The 2 sacks will cost around £20 and the peanuts around a fiver. This
little lot will feed the wild birds all winter plus some safe scraps. I also
buy fat balls which you can get very cheaply from £1 shops and QD and
wilkinsons.
On my weekly trips to the abbatoir for bones for my 7 dogs, I also get a
carrier bag of fat which I hang on tree branches. That attracts dozens of
starlings and blue tits.
To be honest a sack of wild bird mix will only cost around £9 and if you
only have one bird table, that plus a few dozen fat balls will feed hundreds
of birds and help them survive until next spring. They will reward you with
beautiful songs and hours of entertainment through your winter on a cold
winters day :0)

Old 17-10-2004, 11:44 PM
Jeanne Stockdale

"ex WGS Hamm" wrote in message
news

--

[...]

The birds in your area must be few and far between. Mine scoff about a half
a hundredweight of peanuts every two months, summer and winter @ £15 per
sack.
They also get seed and pigeon mix.
Must admit that the woodpecker family does account for the consumption of a
considerable proportion of the nuts.
Don't know much obout beautiful songs though - the collar doves tend to have
the same effect as cocks crowing first thing in the morning with their
coo-coo-cooing.

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 18-10-2004, 12:12 PM
ex WGS Hamm

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote in message

"ex WGS Hamm" wrote in message
news

--

[...]

I have plenty of wild birds here but as I am in a very rural area I expect
they get feed from other sources like spilled grain, cattle feed etc. As
well as stealing the chicken food, they get the leavings from the parrot
feed pots and other suitable scraps. Not many trees in the fens so I don't
see woodpeckers. I get a wide variety of finches, thrush,
blackbird,robin,wren, doves of all kinds, starlings, sparrows etc.

Old 18-10-2004, 07:53 AM
Franz Heymann

"ex WGS Hamm" wrote in message
news

. ..

"Joanne" wrote in message
[...]

You have either very few or very hungry birds. We get through 3 sacks
of peanuts and 3 of sunflower seed per year for our garden birds, plus
around 15 lbs weight of fat puddings.

Franz

Old 18-10-2004, 12:14 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"ex WGS Hamm" wrote in message
news

. ..

"Joanne" wrote in message
[...]

You seem only to have noticed the sacks of food and ignored the fat from
the abbatoir, scraps, chhicken food and other things like fruit I listed.
I suppose it depends entirely on the area one lives. I am right out in the
fens. Not many trees here. I have lots of wild birds to feed but they also
forage elsewhere. I expect a suburban garden with lots of trees and bushes
might have larger numbers of birds.

Old 20-10-2004, 08:28 PM
Martin Brown

In message , ex WGS Hamm
writes

wrote in message

I would have thought that most wildlife instinctively know what's good
and safe to eat.

Rats are smart. Eat a small amount to try it and if they feel no ill
effects eat some more some tie later. Other smaller rodents are pretty
stupid and eat enough to kill or disable them on the first encounter. I
grow various tropical plants with nasty seeds that are very effective
rodent killers.

You are wrong I'm afraid. Animals and birds will scoff ultra fatty stuff or
salty stuff. Salt kills a bird very quickly. I keep parrots so am a bit
careful as to what I feed.(40+ expensive parrots). My sister once fed her
beloved hens some avocado thinking she was giving them an expensive treat.
She got up next day, opened the henhouse to find all her hens dead. Yes,
avocado is poisonous to most birds and animals. I once had a rescue dog raid
the bin and eat avocado peelings and chewed the stone.

I can imagine the stone might well be seriously toxic. But what is the
risk with avocado flesh? We used to feed our hens with all kitchen
scraps and I expect they got the odd bit of avocado thrown in from time
to time.

Birds can more or less safely eat yew berries - there was a huge tree in
our hen pen and despite the toxicity it never seemed to bother them.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown

Feeding birds 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 33 01-01-2011 01:29 AM
Feeding birds Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 8 13-06-2008 04:58 PM
Feeding the birds Sacha United Kingdom 1 17-06-2006 12:36 PM
Continual feeding of garden birds Sacha United Kingdom 1 05-05-2006 09:21 PM
When do I stop feeding peanuts to the birds? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 6 09-03-2006 03:32 PM