Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-10-2004, 08:30 PM
Registered User

Default pond looks poorly

I have recently moved into a house with a very large pond. The water is brown & murky (muddy?) there are no plants growing in it & recently I found a dead fish floating in it. The pond is approximately 150 feet long by at most 70 feet wide & I believe is lined with puddled clay. The house particulars stated that it was a spring fed pond ( but knowing estate agents, that may not be the case!).

Can anyone recommend a book which might deal with large natural ponds as all the books I've managed to find in the library & book shops seem to relate to 6ft by 10ft man made ponds & focus on smaller plants which wont outgrow their space.

There are a number of other fish in the pond - all a white-ish colour & about 1 - 1 1/2 feet long - should I be feeding them, bearing in mind the lack of vegetation in there??

As I am a complete novice, any advice would be appreciated - I wouldn't want to lose another fish

Sally
Kent