Old 27-10-2004, 12:19 PM
Al Reynolds

I wrote:
I've looked into this a bit, and you're right about Argos & B&Q
discontinuing them. The Argos one was the Challenge Cordless Lopper
(http://www.bat400.com/pics/challenge...ess-lopper.jpg)
and the B&Q one was the Perfomance Power Cordless Lopper
(http://www.bat400.com/pics/performan...ess-lopper.jpg)

They both look similar to a Makita cordless pruner (also available
from Dolmar) which has also been discontinued.
(http://www.bat400.com/pics/makita-cordless-pruner.jpg)

The two cheapies are clearly identical, and there are a few similarities
with the Makita - check out the switch positions and the screw holes.
I assume the build quality will be better on the Makita.

I am beginning to wonder why they have all been discontinued. The
Makita ones sometimes come up on ebay. Take a look at
for an auction for one of these finishing on Friday lunchtime.

I also found this one:
http://www.crocus.co.uk/?ContentType...sID=2000005129
Looks like Power Devil branding but I can't tell from the pic.

Al

Old 27-10-2004, 12:21 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Al Reynolds" writes:

| I am beginning to wonder why they have all been discontinued. The
| Makita ones sometimes come up on ebay. Take a look at
| http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3847884448
| for an auction for one of these finishing on Friday lunchtime.

At a guess, safety regulations. It is possible (even likely) that
the cordless ones escaped some regulations by an accident of wording,
and the loophole has been closed. Bringing them up to regulations
could well be too expensive, or make them unattractive to users.

I make no comment on whether such regulations are justified or not;
both types are widespread.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-10-2004, 12:34 PM

In uk.d-i-y Al Reynolds wrote:
Does anyone know if they are still sold in the UK anywhere, or does
anyone in the UK have one that is sitting around that they want to
sell, or is anyone going on hols to the US and want to bring me one
back for a profit?

I've looked into this a bit, and you're right about Argos & B&Q
discontinuing them. The Argos one was the Challenge Cordless Lopper
(http://www.bat400.com/pics/challenge...ess-lopper.jpg)
and the B&Q one was the Perfomance Power Cordless Lopper
(http://www.bat400.com/pics/performan...ess-lopper.jpg)

I was lucky to buy one just a couple of weeks ago then, I'm very
pleased with it so far. I'll drop in and buy a second battery soon
just in case they stop stocking them (though the battery is common to
a lot of tools).

They both look similar to a Makita cordless pruner (also available
from Dolmar) which has also been discontinued.
(http://www.bat400.com/pics/makita-cordless-pruner.jpg)

The major difference is that the Makita is 12 volts and the B&Q is 18
volts, I don't know about the Argos one.

--
Chris Green
Old 27-10-2004, 12:43 PM

In uk.d-i-y Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
"Al Reynolds" writes:

| I am beginning to wonder why they have all been discontinued. The
| Makita ones sometimes come up on ebay. Take a look at
| http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3847884448
| for an auction for one of these finishing on Friday lunchtime.

At a guess, safety regulations. It is possible (even likely) that
the cordless ones escaped some regulations by an accident of wording,
and the loophole has been closed. Bringing them up to regulations
could well be too expensive, or make them unattractive to users.

I make no comment on whether such regulations are justified or not;
both types are widespread.

I can't see anything specifically more dangerous about the cordless
chainsaws when compared with an 'ordinary' mains powered one or even a
petrol engined one. The cordless loppers have the 'anti kickback' cover
on the nose of the blade which is pretty stupid really, you'd have to be
holding the thing with only one finger for it to be able to kick back to
any significant extent. It just doesn't have the power to do anything
serious if you're holding it firmly. Even my mains powered (rather old)
B%D chainsaw doesn't really have the oomph to kick back seriously.

I suppose it *might* be that the cordless loppers don't require
training for commercial use but the other ones do.

Anyone can buy any sort of chainsaw for their own use.

--
Chris Green
Old 27-10-2004, 02:31 PM
Al Reynolds

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Al Reynolds" writes:

| I am beginning to wonder why they have all been discontinued. The
| Makita ones sometimes come up on ebay. Take a look at
| http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3847884448
| for an auction for one of these finishing on Friday lunchtime.

At a guess, safety regulations. It is possible (even likely) that
the cordless ones escaped some regulations by an accident of wording,
and the loophole has been closed. Bringing them up to regulations
could well be too expensive, or make them unattractive to users.

This is possible. I know that the Makita was classified
as a cordless pruner rather than a chainsaw, so you didn't
need the same employee chainsaw certificate. See
http://www.fredshed.co.uk/makitacordlesschainsaw.htm
for a description.

Al

Old 27-10-2004, 02:32 PM
Al Reynolds

wrote in message ...
The major difference is that the Makita is 12 volts and the B&Q is 18
volts, I don't know about the Argos one.

Ah yes - hadn't spotted that.

Al

PS Can you sharpen a chainsaw or do you replace the chain?

Old 27-10-2004, 03:31 PM

In uk.d-i-y Al Reynolds wrote:
wrote in message ...
The major difference is that the Makita is 12 volts and the B&Q is 18
volts, I don't know about the Argos one.

Ah yes - hadn't spotted that.

Al

PS Can you sharpen a chainsaw or do you replace the chain?

I'm lazy, I send them off for sharpening. I have three chains for my
mains powered chainsaw so I can send two at a time and still have the
third working.

If you have patience and/or the right tools it's a fairly simple job
to sharpen a chainsaw chain.

--
Chris Green
Old 28-10-2004, 09:44 AM

If anyone is still listening to this thread there were (at least)
three of the B&Q Cordless loppers on the shelf at our local B&Q
yesterday. That's the B&Q warehouse on the East side of Ipswich.

--
Chris Green