Old 04-11-2004, 07:48 AM
Chris

Default Centipedes or millipedes - which are the good guys?

Centipedes or millipedes - which are the good guys?
--
Chris
Old 04-11-2004, 08:32 AM
Tim Challenger

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 07:48:38 +0000, Chris wrote:

Centipedes or millipedes - which are the good guys?

They're both good in their own way. But I think you mean which ones eat
veggies and fruit?

It's easy to remember:
Millipedes have lots of short legs and smooth, round cross-sectioned
bodies, the easier to push through the ground and vegetation with. Are
vegetarians and eat your chilli peppers.

Centipedes have fewer, longer legs and flatter bodies. They often have
large visible mouthparts. All the better for running, chasing and biting
the slower vegetarians in the soil.
--
Tim C.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:00 AM
Kay

In article ], Chris ]
writes
Centipedes or millipedes - which are the good guys?

Centipedes

In general, things that run are predators, chasing other creepy
crawlies. Things that are sluggish are prey, busy munching on plants.

But that said, most 'prey' aren't harmful, and do a sterling job of
clearing up rotting leaves and general detritus.
--
Kay

Old 04-11-2004, 11:21 AM
Stephen Howard

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 09:00:38 +0000, Kay
wrote:

In article ], Chris ]
writes
Centipedes or millipedes - which are the good guys?

Centipedes

In general, things that run are predators, chasing other creepy
crawlies. Things that are sluggish are prey, busy munching on plants.

But that said, most 'prey' aren't harmful, and do a sterling job of
clearing up rotting leaves and general detritus.

I think too that a few 'pests' shoulder the blame by dint of being the
only culprits left at the scene of the crime.
I've had spuds and carrots peppered with holes which could only have
been made by slugs - and living within these holes were nests of
immature millipedes.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 04-11-2004, 12:01 PM
Tim Challenger

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 11:21:06 +0000, Stephen Howard wrote:

I think too that a few 'pests' shoulder the blame by dint of being the
only culprits left at the scene of the crime.
I've had spuds and carrots peppered with holes which could only have
been made by slugs - and living within these holes were nests of
immature millipedes.

Regards,

I tend to agree with you there. Their mouthparts are pretty small, and
probably, like woodlice, only turn up at sites already attacked by
something else.

I've found millipedes inside chilli peppers, with only a tiny hole to be
seen. But they don#t cause too much of a problem otherwise.

--
Tim C.

Old 04-11-2004, 02:39 PM
David Pearson

"Tim Challenger" wrote in message
I've found millipedes inside chilli peppers, with only a tiny hole to be
seen. But they don#t cause too much of a problem otherwise.

I once cut open an intact bell pepper and found a live
moth inside. It was bald and tatty, but alive.

I guess we were both a little nonplussed.

-David Pearson