Old 11-11-2004, 11:49 PM
Phil L

Default filling greenhouses

I've got two greenhouses, one glass, one polycarbonate, the glass one is
partiall taken up with stuff which I want to leave in there(stuff that
doesn't really belong in a greenhouse but I've nowhere else to put it yet!)
but has quite a large area for planting which I'm going to utitlise next
year.
The poly-c is completely empty and both are quite big.
The trouble I'm having or expecting to have is, what do I grow in them? -
there's only two of us and we both like tomatoes but not 2 GH's full!..I'm
planning on chilli peppers which I've already got established but didn't
fruit this year because they can be dried and stored easily enough as can
toms in the freezer...we don't like cucumber much...what else is there?
In the glasshouse I'll easily have enough space for a dozen tomato plants
and the chillis can go inbetween which leaves a complete GH free...what to
do?

Any suggestions wellcome, also what type of tomatoes? - I've got some seeds
which are about five years out of date, is it worth bothering with them? -
they've been in a biscuit tin and there's about a hundred packets of
unopened seeds of all varieties.

the GH's haven't been used for five years and prior to that my dad used to
disinfect the whole place with jeyes fluid and put the toms in grobags, will
it need disifecting now?...I'm not using grobags as the place has been
swamped under nettles for years and I was told in here that the soil will be
fertile?...another thing about bags is their constant drying out which won't
be as much of a problem if I plant directly into the soil? - I'm a novice to
all this and only started bothering with the garden in June of this year.

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country
and our people, and neither do we."
- George W. Bush, 5.8.2004

Old 12-11-2004, 01:13 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Phil L" contains these words:

[...]

I was just about to say 'cucumbers' - however...

Pimentos do quite well, and I've seen aubergines which have been
moderately successful. In the greenhouse I used to have, I had a grape
vine down each side: Black Hamburg on one, and Royal Muscadine down the
other.

I was growing stuff for sale, so had about thirty tomato plants and a
dozen cucumbers. I grew strawberries and catch-crops of radishes under
them.

While chillis will do better in a greenhouse, they do very well in pots
in a sunny position: mine are still producing. I have to bring them in
if there is any fear of frost, but otherwise they remain outside.
(Likewise the lemon trees.)

You could try a pomegranate - they are almost hardy, and you'll be
amazed at the difference between one which has ripened on the tree/shrub
and the weak, watery things you get in the shops. (They should split,
revealing a rich ruby interior - drool!)

Cape gooseberries (Physalis, rather like Chinese Lanterns) do well in a
greenhouse, though they are quite good outside. If you still have room
you could consider some squashes or melons.

Any suggestions wellcome, also what type of tomatoes? - I've got some seeds
which are about five years out of date, is it worth bothering with them? -
they've been in a biscuit tin and there's about a hundred packets of
unopened seeds of all varieties.

Oh, tomato seeds are more-or-less indestructible. I favour Ailsa Craig,
Shirley and Alicante, some vine tomatoes, and outside, in hanging
baskets, Tumbler.

I won't allow Moneymaker near the place...

the GH's haven't been used for five years and prior to that my dad used to
disinfect the whole place with jeyes fluid and put the toms in grobags, will
it need disifecting now?...I'm not using grobags as the place has been
swamped under nettles for years and I was told in here that the soil will be
fertile?...another thing about bags is their constant drying out which won't
be as much of a problem if I plant directly into the soil? - I'm a novice to
all this and only started bothering with the garden in June of this year.

Now is a good time to turn the soil over and start removing the nettle
roots. Dig in some compost or manure - it doesn't need to be
well-rotted, though it would be better.

I would wash down the interior soon with soapy water - never use a
detergent washing powder or similar, many of them contain borax, which
is an effective plant poison - and rinse it down with warm water
containing a dash of bleach. Leave the Jeyes until a couple of weeks
before planting if you really need to use it - it kills insect pests,
but it also kills beneficial insects and worms.

Any remaining nettles can be put in a bucket and covered with water.
This makes a fine liquid feed when they have rotted.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 12-11-2004, 12:20 PM
Martin Brown

In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes

Pimentos do quite well, and I've seen aubergines which have been
moderately successful.

Aubergines are possible in a greenhouse, some melons are too with luck.

While chillis will do better in a greenhouse, they do very well in pots
in a sunny position: mine are still producing. I have to bring them in
if there is any fear of frost, but otherwise they remain outside.
(Likewise the lemon trees.)

??? What latitude are you at.

My chillies and peppers were grown under glass this year and I still
haven't managed to get any ripe thanks to the miserable summer weather.
Looks now like the frost will get them first.

The peppers actually did better than the chillies.

You could try a pomegranate - they are almost hardy, and you'll be
amazed at the difference between one which has ripened on the tree/shrub
and the weak, watery things you get in the shops. (They should split,
revealing a rich ruby interior - drool!)

They grow OK in the S of France. I don't think I have ever seen one
ripen properly outside in the UK.

Any suggestions wellcome, also what type of tomatoes? - I've got some seeds
which are about five years out of date, is it worth bothering with them? -
they've been in a biscuit tin and there's about a hundred packets of
unopened seeds of all varieties.

Oh, tomato seeds are more-or-less indestructible. I favour Ailsa Craig,
Shirley and Alicante, some vine tomatoes, and outside, in hanging
baskets, Tumbler.

If they grow they are OK. And they remain viable even after travelling
through the sewage system. No problem with old tomato seeds.

I won't allow Moneymaker near the place...

It has only one purpose - commercial growers. What variety do they use
these days for the optimum "Red round uniform size and tasteless" ?

the GH's haven't been used for five years and prior to that my dad used to
disinfect the whole place with jeyes fluid and put the toms in grobags, will
it need disifecting now?...I'm not using grobags as the place has been
swamped under nettles for years and I was told in here that the soil will be
fertile?...another thing about bags is their constant drying out which won't
be as much of a problem if I plant directly into the soil? - I'm a novice to
all this and only started bothering with the garden in June of this year.

Now is a good time to turn the soil over and start removing the nettle
roots. Dig in some compost or manure - it doesn't need to be
well-rotted, though it would be better.

I would wash down the interior soon with soapy water - never use a
detergent washing powder or similar, many of them contain borax,

I'd be inclined to hit an empty unused greenhouse with a sulphur candle.
Close it up light and retire to a safe distance. Kills just about
everything inside - you still need to clean the glass and so on but it
zaps most all of the pests that will be lurking in the nettle beds.

Any remaining nettles can be put in a bucket and covered with water.
This makes a fine liquid feed when they have rotted.

Expect lots of nettle seedlings for years to come.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old 12-11-2004, 12:57 PM
Registered User

Location: south west france

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Gray
Hi Phil.

snipped

In the glasshouse I'll easily have enough space for a dozen tomato plants
and the chillis can go inbetween which leaves a complete GH free...what to
do?

It depends on what you like, if it's summer bedding, then you can start them
off in the greenhouse. Early salad crops - radish, lettuce, spring onion,
bell peppers etc. A grape vine?

Any suggestions wellcome, also what type of tomatoes? - I've got some

seeds
which are about five years out of date, is it worth bothering with them? -
they've been in a biscuit tin and there's about a hundred packets of
unopened seeds of all varieties.

Tomato seeds should be viable for 10 years or more, so I'm pretty sure
you'll be ok. As to what varieties, again it depends on what you like,
cherry, beefsteak, plum etc. Why not grow a few of each, although IMO make
sure that you plant Gardener's Delight - my favourite.

the GH's haven't been used for five years and prior to that my dad used to
disinfect the whole place with jeyes fluid and put the toms in grobags,

will
it need disifecting now?...I'm not using grobags as the place has been
swamped under nettles for years and I was told in here that the soil will

be
fertile?...another thing about bags is their constant drying out which

won't
be as much of a problem if I plant directly into the soil? - I'm a novice

all this and only started bothering with the garden in June of this year.

It's a good idea to disinfect the greenhouse, particularly if it's not been
used in a while. Although I don't think the Ministry allow the use of jeyes
fluid in the garden anymore (but if you don't tell anyone, nor will I).
Plants in a greenhouse, whether in growbags or planted directly in the soil,
will need similar amounts of water. As to the fertility of the soil, whilst
it might be fertile enough for nettles, it won't do any harm to dig in some
compost.

HTH

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk
If I had a greenhouse I would grow lots of basil to go with all the tomatoes.

Old 12-11-2004, 03:47 PM
PK

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Phil L" contains these words:

I've got two greenhouses, one glass, one polycarbonate, the glass
one is partiall taken up with stuff which I want to leave in
there(stuff that doesn't really belong in a greenhouse but I've
nowhere else to put it yet!) but has quite a large area for planting
which I'm going to utitlise next year.
The poly-c is completely empty and both are quite big.
The trouble I'm having or expecting to have is, what do I grow in
them? - there's only two of us and we both like tomatoes but not 2
GH's full!..I'm planning on chilli peppers which I've already got
established but didn't fruit this year because they can be dried and
stored easily enough as can toms in the freezer...we don't like
cucumber much

I used to grow my own ratatouille!

Aubergine
Red/green/yellow peppers
Hungarian wax pod pepper
Tomato
basil

in the GH

and

Garlic
onion
courgette
herbs

outside.

Great fun AND it freezes very well. Get the balance right and you never have
an over supply of anything,

pk

Old 12-11-2004, 07:04 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Nick
Gray writes
Hi Phil.

snipped

In the glasshouse I'll easily have enough space for a dozen tomato plants
and the chillis can go inbetween which leaves a complete GH free...what to
do?

It depends on what you like, if it's summer bedding, then you can start them
off in the greenhouse. Early salad crops - radish, lettuce, spring onion,
bell peppers etc. A grape vine?

Climbing French beans do well in a GH - even if you grow them outside.
you can get a much earlier crop in GH as well.

the GH's haven't been used for five years and prior to that my dad used to
disinfect the whole place with jeyes fluid and put the toms in grobags,

will
it need disifecting now?...I'm not using grobags as the place has been
swamped under nettles for years and I was told in here that the soil will

be
fertile?...another thing about bags is their constant drying out which

won't
be as much of a problem if I plant directly into the soil?

It's a good idea to disinfect the greenhouse, particularly if it's not been
used in a while.

I'm unconvinced about the usefulness of disinfecting a GH, neither of
ours have been in the last 5-7 years and it hasn't caused any problems.

Plants in a greenhouse, whether in growbags or planted directly in the soil,
will need similar amounts of water.

On no they won't , or rather the plants themselves might require a
similar amount but you will have to water those in growbags much more
often - because the volume of compost in bag is very small esp. if
used for 2-3 plants. Soil beds in GH have access to a much greater
water reservoir so dry out much slower, for one thing so need much less
frequent watering. The soil beds we have were watered about every 10
days -2 weeks, the stuff in pots in the other GH would need watering up
to everyday (depending on pots, weather etc.)
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 12-11-2004, 07:58 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from jay jay contains these words:

If I had a greenhouse I would grow lots of basil to go with all the
tomatoes.

After scrolling down your garden you probably wouldn't have the time.

Old 12-11-2004, 08:06 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Martin Brown contains these words:
In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes

Pimentos do quite well, and I've seen aubergines which have been
moderately successful.

Aubergines are possible in a greenhouse, some melons are too with luck.

While chillis will do better in a greenhouse, they do very well in pots
in a sunny position: mine are still producing. I have to bring them in
if there is any fear of frost, but otherwise they remain outside.
(Likewise the lemon trees.)

??? What latitude are you at.

Well north of Watford Gap...

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/chilli2.jpg

My chillies and peppers were grown under glass this year and I still
haven't managed to get any ripe thanks to the miserable summer weather.
Looks now like the frost will get them first.

Can't stop mine. Try jalapino next time, or I'll send you some seeds if
you like. You can work out my emu in the sig.

The peppers actually did better than the chillies.

You could try a pomegranate - they are almost hardy, and you'll be
amazed at the difference between one which has ripened on the tree/shrub
and the weak, watery things you get in the shops. (They should split,
revealing a rich ruby interior - drool!)

They grow OK in the S of France. I don't think I have ever seen one
ripen properly outside in the UK.

They will (allegedly) under glass. I've planted a tray of pips - just to try.

/snip/

--
Rusty
horrid(point)squeak[at]zetnet(point)co(point)uk
Old 14-11-2004, 09:37 PM
Phil L

Thanks to all who have replied...I wouldn't mind a grapevine but how long do
they take to get established and to start fruiting?..where do I get them
from? - what type?

The tomato seeds are Ailsa Craig...I may try another strain so that we have
a variety but TBH, most of them will end up frozen but they are still better
than tinned when making curries, chillis and my very own 'cheese & tomato
dip' (and they are easier to peel when frozen!)

I'm not using grobags because in the past, the fruit have split when the
compost gets slightly dry, the beds are easier to water and will remain damp
for longer...I can keep on top of the nettle seedlings by digging them in.

we don't like aubergines as there's not much flavour in 'em!

not big lovers of melons neither and I fear for the safety of strawberries
with our slug problem.

I can get all the free manure I need from a local farmer so I'll get on it
this week and dig a few CWT into the beds at the same time as de-rooting the
nettles.
I'm tempted with the capsicums if it's possible to freeze them?

Old 14-11-2004, 11:54 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Phil L" contains these words:

Thanks to all who have replied...I wouldn't mind a grapevine but how long do
they take to get established and to start fruiting?..where do I get them
from? - what type?

Couple of years. And the type depends on what sort of grapes you like,
and what you want to use them for.

The tomato seeds are Ailsa Craig...I may try another strain so that we have
a variety but TBH, most of them will end up frozen but they are still better
than tinned when making curries, chillis and my very own 'cheese & tomato
dip' (and they are easier to peel when frozen!)

Good flavour, Ailsa Craig, but reputed to suffer from greenback. I've
never noticed it though.

I'm not using grobags because in the past, the fruit have split when the
compost gets slightly dry, the beds are easier to water and will remain damp
for longer...I can keep on top of the nettle seedlings by digging them in.

Good thinking...

we don't like aubergines as there's not much flavour in 'em!

I can't stand the things.

not big lovers of melons neither and I fear for the safety of strawberries
with our slug problem.

Oh, I like melons. I've never had a problem with slugs in a greenhouse.
Too hot for them.

I can get all the free manure I need from a local farmer so I'll get on it
this week and dig a few CWT into the beds at the same time as de-rooting the
nettles.

You know it makes scents...

I'm tempted with the capsicums if it's possible to freeze them?

Yes, but they won't be much good for salad use.

Old 15-11-2004, 03:34 AM
Registered User

A couple of things... you might consider Armillatox if you don't want to use Jeyes.

You also might want to cut the nettles for an aphid spray rather than disposing of them. I'm about to make a nettle bed of all things.
Old 15-11-2004, 07:43 AM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in
message k...
The message

we don't like aubergines as there's not much flavour in 'em!

I can't stand the things.

There would appear to be a serious lacuna in your sense of taste.
Perhaps you should have it attended to. Then you will realised that,
if properly prepared, aubergines are the nearest thing available as a
substitute for beef bone marrow.

Franz

Old 15-11-2004, 01:53 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in
message k...
The message

we don't like aubergines as there's not much flavour in 'em!

I can't stand the things.

There would appear to be a serious lacuna in your sense of taste.
Perhaps you should have it attended to. Then you will realised that,
if properly prepared, aubergines are the nearest thing available as a
substitute for beef bone marrow.

Lacuna widens then. I'm beginning to warm to it.

Old 15-11-2004, 08:20 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in
message k...
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains

these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in
message k...
The message

we don't like aubergines as there's not much flavour in 'em!

I can't stand the things.

There would appear to be a serious lacuna in your sense of taste.
Perhaps you should have it attended to. Then you will realised

that,
if properly prepared, aubergines are the nearest thing available

as a
substitute for beef bone marrow.

Lacuna widens then. I'm beginning to warm to it.

Stir-fry slices in duck fat.

Franz

Filling in 'dips' in lawn Scott L. Lawns 0 02-04-2003 11:08 AM
Filling in 'dips' in lawn [email protected] Lawns 10 01-04-2003 12:56 PM
Help sink holes filling my yard GeorgeR Gardening 7 26-03-2003 06:56 PM
Filling raised beds Tony Gardening 11 14-02-2003 06:27 PM
Filling in pond Pia United Kingdom 13 08-01-2003 08:23 PM