Old 22-11-2004, 02:58 PM
Oxymel of Squill

Default rotating

Hi All

I want to rotate my veg plots like Monty Don says you should, making a
raised bed with horse poo in the first one this year and completing it over
4 years

But does anyone know how it works if you don't want to grow potatoes? It's
not worth it on a tiny little plot like mine

Thanks

Jon

Old 22-11-2004, 06:34 PM
Bob Hobden

Jon wrote
I want to rotate my veg plots like Monty Don says you should, making a
raised bed with horse poo in the first one this year and completing it
over 4 years

But does anyone know how it works if you don't want to grow potatoes? It's
not worth it on a tiny little plot like mine

See my answer to "Crop Rotation" on the 21/11/2004.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 24-11-2004, 01:44 PM
Dwayne

Also remember that Horse Poo will help you raise a lot more than what you
planted. A lot of the grain that goes through the horse will still come up
the next year.

Dwayne

Old 24-11-2004, 08:50 PM
Peter Stockdale

"Dwayne" wrote in message
.. .
Also remember that Horse Poo will help you raise a lot more than what you
planted. A lot of the grain that goes through the horse will still come
up the next year.

Dwayne

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
Hi All

I want to rotate my veg plots like Monty Don says you should, making a
raised bed with horse poo in the first one this year and completing it
over 4 years

But does anyone know how it works if you don't want to grow potatoes?
It's not worth it on a tiny little plot like mine

Thanks

Jon

Get some turkey poo - its dynamic !!
Pete

Old 24-11-2004, 10:59 PM
Bob Hobden

"Peter Stockdale" wrote after Dwayne wrote after
"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
I want to rotate my veg plots like Monty Don says you should, making a
raised bed with horse poo in the first one this year and completing it
over 4 years

But does anyone know how it works if you don't want to grow potatoes?
It's not worth it on a tiny little plot like mine

Also remember that Horse Poo will help you raise a lot more than what
you planted. A lot of the grain that goes through the horse will still
come up the next year.

Get some turkey poo - its dynamic !!

Swan poo works a treat too (our allotments are right next door to the Egham
Swan Sanctuary).

Old 24-11-2004, 11:09 PM
Mike Lyle

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Peter Stockdale" wrote after Dwayne wrote after
"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message

[...]
But does anyone know how it works if you don't want to grow
potatoes? It's not worth it on a tiny little plot like mine

Also remember that Horse Poo will help you raise a lot more than
what you planted. A lot of the grain that goes through the horse
will still come up the next year.

Get some turkey poo - its dynamic !!

Swan poo works a treat too (our allotments are right next door to

the
Egham Swan Sanctuary).

Aren't turkey droppings too strong even for potatoes until they've
been composted? I know swans have a different diet, but what about
them, too?

Mike.

Old 25-11-2004, 11:09 AM
Bob Hobden

"Mike Lyle" wrote after...
Bob Hobden wrote:

Swan poo works a treat too (our allotments are right next door to

the
Egham Swan Sanctuary).

Aren't turkey droppings too strong even for potatoes until they've
been composted? I know swans have a different diet, but what about
them, too?

It's always at least a year old and includes the rotted straw/sawdust that
was the flooring. The sawdust will take out some of the nitrogen in rotting,
makes excellent soil improver for our silt/clay.

Old 25-11-2004, 12:02 PM
Dwayne

That is the secret. A friend of mine piles up the cow poo all year, then in
the fall mixes it up with dirt and leaves it another year. Anything going
to sprout will have done it and died by then and you can use it will no
problems.

Dwayne