Old 24-11-2004, 10:56 PM
Peter Crosland

Default Rhubarb can be dangerous!

Slightly OT but I am sure it will amuse.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/n...re/4039559.stm

Peter Crosland

Old 24-11-2004, 11:08 PM
Gary Woods

"Peter Crosland" wrote:

Slightly OT but I am sure it will amuse.

Snork!

I'm sure I'm not the only one picturing John Cleese: "And what would you
do if somebody came at you with a stalk of rhubarb?"

Old 24-11-2004, 11:31 PM
June Hughes

In message , Gary Woods
writes
"Peter Crosland" wrote:

Slightly OT but I am sure it will amuse.

Snork!

I'm sure I'm not the only one picturing John Cleese: "And what would you
do if somebody came at you with a stalk of rhubarb?"

No you are not.

I read from the above that you are a radio enthusiast. My dad was G0BDA
(now sadly deceased). 'Worked all Britain'. He would have loved the
net but its availability to the general public only arrived after his
demise.
--
June Hughes
Old 25-11-2004, 12:58 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic

I read from the above that you are a radio enthusiast. My dad was G0BDA
(now sadly deceased). 'Worked all Britain'. He would have loved the
net but its availability to the general public only arrived after his
demise.

Shame.

I've been meaning to take the RAE for ages. Having in my comparative
yoof passed the Royal Signals' exam and got the crossed flags for
something like an extra half-crown a week, I learnt morse and could
receive and send at 15 WPM.

Sadly, when I came to read some at our local Amateur Rajo Club, I could
hardly sort out a single letter at 10 WPM. Nor at 5 WPM.

Ah well, I did a test paper and passed that (not particularly shed
briwyantly /shed) without any study, so one day...

73

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 25-11-2004, 07:21 AM
Peter Crosland

I've been meaning to take the RAE for ages. Having in my comparative
yoof passed the Royal Signals' exam and got the crossed flags for
something like an extra half-crown a week, I learnt morse and could
receive and send at 15 WPM.

Sadly, when I came to read some at our local Amateur Rajo Club, I could
hardly sort out a single letter at 10 WPM. Nor at 5 WPM.

Morse is no longer a requirement to obtain a UK amateur radio licence.

Old 25-11-2004, 02:48 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Peter Crosland" contains these words:

I've been meaning to take the RAE for ages. Having in my comparative
yoof passed the Royal Signals' exam and got the crossed flags for
something like an extra half-crown a week, I learnt morse and could
receive and send at 15 WPM.

Sadly, when I came to read some at our local Amateur Rajo Club, I could
hardly sort out a single letter at 10 WPM. Nor at 5 WPM.

Morse is no longer a requirement to obtain a UK amateur radio licence.

I know - but I'm an old Luddite. I *LIKE* CW. One of the NARC members
manages over 36 WPM - sounds like flippin' RTTY...

Logging for him on field days is a nightmare.

Old 25-11-2004, 07:23 PM
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Peter Crosland" contains these words:

I've been meaning to take the RAE for ages. Having in my

comparative
yoof passed the Royal Signals' exam and got the crossed flags for
something like an extra half-crown a week, I learnt morse and

could
receive and send at 15 WPM.

Sadly, when I came to read some at our local Amateur Rajo Club, I
could hardly sort out a single letter at 10 WPM. Nor at 5 WPM.

Morse is no longer a requirement to obtain a UK amateur radio
licence.

I know - but I'm an old Luddite. I *LIKE* CW. One of the NARC

members
manages over 36 WPM - sounds like flippin' RTTY...

Logging for him on field days is a nightmare.

A Luddite on the Internet. Can you give me a year or two to get my
head round that, please?

Captain Swing.

Old 25-11-2004, 08:59 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:

A Luddite on the Internet. Can you give me a year or two to get my
head round that, please?

Eh? I am a one of the most notorious Luddites around, and don't trust
anything with electronics in. I have been in computing since 1966,
and have been an expert on various bleeding-edge aspects for a lot of
that time. I am, if anything, slightly less of a Luddite than the
eminent Professor Wheeler, one of the architects of modern computers,
one of the people who built Edsac I in 1948, incredibly influential
ever since, and possibly the inventor of the subroutine.

Look, mate, it's because we KNOW about these monstrosities that we
are Luddites. It's only people who don't who trust the damn things.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-11-2004, 09:40 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Martin wrote:

and you didn't even mention Oracle :-)

This is where you need to think classically.

An oracle is a person who tells you the answers to questions that
you can't answer otherwise, in such a way that you can't work out
what the answer means until after it is too late to use.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-11-2004, 11:44 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Martin contains these words:

and you didn't even mention Oracle :-)

I think he cut his teeth on Babbage's Difference Engine.

Old 26-11-2004, 07:38 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message

Look, mate, it's because we KNOW about these monstrosities that we
are Luddites. It's only people who don't who trust the damn

things.

You tell 'im Nick.

I wonder if he knows why a bug is *CALLED* a bug?

The version I was told when in training was Admiral What's-her-name's
moth. But the industry is full of suspect or downright absurd
folk-etymologies supported by people's sworn oaths, so I pay little
attention.

And it came to pass in the days of Thermionic Valve that divers bus-bars
were of an high potential, and lo, there came unto the bus-bar an hairy
spider, or a beetle, and it did step upon the neutral and did reach out
unto the High Tension.

And the wrath of the High Tension was visited upon the Beast, and it did
unmolish the Beast, so that there was no life in it.

And the High Tension did say: Lo, I have leapt unto the ground, and
hootered the Job in hand. I have unleashed the Magic Blue Smoke, and the
Beast is no more. Neither is thy paltry calculation, for there is no
Magic Blue Smoke in it, for it hath departed and multiplied.

And the Beast was crisp and black, and its smoke was pleasing to the
High Tension, and the High Tension said unto the people: Let him
henceforth be named Bug. And it was so.

This is the word of the Universe, give thanks unto Deep Thought.